New member- And a new fan!

• HTML tutorial

w0ngster

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hello,

I recently had my eyes opened to the world of 4x4/Overlanding.  I'm looking to find a rig most likely the 80 for the solid axles and lockers.....although i wish it where the 100S for the more comfortable rig. I'm a complete beginner and novice and only recently began to research and plan for my own overland vehicle. So bare with me for any mistakes and obvious questions.  Nonetheless, I have a few questions.

1. How do you find the trails you've explored in your videos? I would love to make the trek up to norcal (specifically  lake alpine from your video) however, im in Los Angeles and the drive alone would be to much time for a quick 2 day getaway. Is there a website you refer to?

2. Do you have on board air? how do you reinflate the tires after coming down from the trail? Never noticed that covered on the site!

3. I've spent a lot of time reading various boards but i'm sure many can relate that the flood of information only confuses newcomers.  My questions pertain to:

A. What "todo" maintenance checks do you take into account after you have bought an 80? The thing i'm worried about most is, buying a rig only to be slapped with repair list. Theres only so much you can do when buying from private party.

B. Whether or not to skip a 2.5'' OME and go for a 4'' off the bat to avoid any other future suspension modifications.

Much thanks! I have to say. There is a lot of researching that goes on and I was contemplating whether or not to dive into the hobby but your video/website have sealed the deal for me. Especially your quote from John Muir.

~W

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@leo

Welcome to the site! Glad you are looking into Overlanding, off roading, and having a bit of adventure. I'll answer your questions from my perspective:

[*]Trails.com will get you started. You can usually get a name from there and then do a web search to get more information. The whole idea is to be self sufficient in the outdoors, so it doesn't really matter if you know exactly where you are going! I also have a DeLorne road map I refer to often. Also - go to REI and look through there maps section. One of the best resources is to go to a Range Station and ask for a "Vehicle Use Map" - a great source for off road trails. Also get the book "California Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails" a great resource!
[*]I do have on-board air, but not very good currently. I spent about $50 bucks for a 12v inflator and tire repair kit. It takes about 9 minutes per tire to re inflate. You are better off with a CO2 tank or better ARB (or similar) compressor.
[*]GO to IH8mud.com for a great 80 resource. Also, Slee Automotive has a great 80 series overview. Honestly, I have the 2.5" lift, and I would go straight for the 4" lift if I had to do it over. GO big with tires as well.

Thanks so much for checkin in, and glad you are turning to the outdoors. In the summer after a long week, there is nothing that beats a beer and a chair on top of a mountain! Cheers!

M

w0ngster

Rank 0

Contributor I

Thanks for the great response Michael!

I have found a possible prospect! And was wondering how many miles is to many?.... 350K
There is a lot of wear and tear on the body and frame let alone engine. I'm a big reliability worry wart to boot!

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1996-lx450-los-angeles.831476/#post-9542510

Your immediate thoughts would be appreciated!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey Leo,

350k is high even for a LC. You need to find the maint history. It's hard to give a recommendation with those miles. It depends on cost and how much work you can do. 96 is a good year. It's locked. In good shape. I'd consider this truck, but expect maint.

M

iamout

Rank III
Founder 500

Advocate II

Hi Leo, I know what you saying. Keep looking and you will find a good one. I wish I had the $$ to get another one and just save it for later on. Where are you located? Good luck and start saving for all the mods...

Frisly

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@leo I set Craigslist "alerts" to notify me of new trucks on the market when I was looking. It worked pretty well. Did you look at that 360k 80 more?

M

w0ngster

Rank 0

Contributor I

That sounds like a great idea.

I'm a pretty big worry wart and the 360k just scared me Michael. That plus my limited wrenching knowledge (but willing to learn!)  It's not only hard to find a decent condition LC but once you ask more indepth questions the owners just dont respond!

Located in Los Angeles - here are a couple that I cant a hold of except the dealer

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/ctd/4860827941.html (no response from owner)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/4852688105.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ctd/4860960306.html

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey @Leo, Ya, that 96 is gone man. Sounds like a desperate sale and a good truck. The next two are a toss up, but I really like that clean one - looks like its been well taken care of. You are paying $1,000 more cause its from a dealer. The other is OK, just get rid of that crappy bumper, spray-can those rims all black, and turn the white lettering in and it would be better to look at. For both, have then specify if it is FJ80, or FZJ80 and confirm. If one is an FZJ and one is not, get the FZJ.

M

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

@leo- or anyone else I guess. There is a '94 LC on ebay right now with 156k already outfitted for expedition.

Just a heads up.

w0ngster

Rank 0

Contributor I

@wilson is it this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-DIFF-LOCK-1994-toyota-land-cruiser-diif-lock-1-owner-3-rd-row-seat-7-servicd-/191538725233?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2c98990171&item=191538725233&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Still can't find one :worried:

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

@leo- have issues with links on work pc. has a rooftop tent and is a black '94 should be obvious when you see. looks like minor carfax issues whatever that means but did not look into too deep. good luck sir and hope this helps.

W