New Into Overlanding From Austin, TX

• HTML tutorial

Mister Pipps

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello, I grew up doing the typical summer family camping trip to national parks and the like as well as fall hunting/camping trips with my dad.

I've always had a fascination with gearing up vehicles and going on adventures, but I've never had the chance to outfit my own vehicle until now.

Currently, I'm working on my 2007 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT. I don't really have much done to it right now, just a 3" lift and a set of 275/70/18 BFG KO's. I'm slowly putting together my kit first before doing much more work on the car.

I've heard that Full Size vehicles are not preferred for trails because of size and weight, but it's what I have so it's what I'm gonna use. Maybe sometime down the road, I might downsize to a Tacoma, 4Runner or Colorado.

I'd love to meet anyone in/around the Austin area for some overlanding this fall. I'll be attending the Texas Avid Outdoors Fall Expo this year and hope to see some of you there!

Don't be a stranger!

20180909_111415.jpg
20180810_063423.jpg
20180809_135520-EFFECTS.jpg
20180809_140704.jpg

Nathan81

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bonnet
Member #

San Antonio area. Jeep Renegade Trailhawk but take an F250 out some.....love and hate the size. I am planning a Big Bend trip this November.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Welcome, great to see a new member in the area. I'm in Georgetown. Check out the calendar. There are some events coming up, you may be interested in.

It doesn't matter what you drive. Full size rigs are great for Overlanding, their are lots of members that Overland with full size rigs.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello, I grew up doing the typical summer family camping trip to national parks and the like as well as fall hunting/camping trips with my dad.

I've always had a fascination with gearing up vehicles and going on adventures, but I've never had the chance to outfit my own vehicle until now.

Currently, I'm working on my 2007 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT. I don't really have much done to it right now, just a 3" lift and a set of 275/70/18 BFG KO's. I'm slowly putting together my kit first before doing much more work on the car.

I've heard that Full Size vehicles are not preferred for trails because of size and weight, but it's what I have so it's what I'm gonna use. Maybe sometime down the road, I might downsize to a Tacoma, 4Runner or Colorado.

I'd love to meet anyone in/around the Austin area for some overlanding this fall. I'll be attending the Texas Avid Outdoors Fall Expo this year and hope to see some of you there!

Don't be a stranger!

View attachment 68479
View attachment 68480
View attachment 68482
View attachment 68481
Hello and welcome to the OB crew....great looking rig and look forward to seeing your build and adventures. Nice pics btw...

Mister Pipps

Rank 0

Traveler I

That sounds pretty cool, I've been meaning to make a trip down there
Welcome, great to see a new member in the area. I'm in Georgetown. Check out the calendar. There are some events coming up, you may be interested in.

It doesn't matter what you drive. Full size rigs are great for Overlanding, their are lots of members that Overland with full size rigs.
Cool beans! I'll have to take a look for sure. I like the space an power of a full size for sure, I just wish it wasn't so thirsty haha.

Mister Pipps

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello and welcome to the OB crew....great looking rig and look forward to seeing your build and adventures. Nice pics btw...
Thanks! I can't wait to run into some of you guys in the field and the build is probably gonna be pretty slow, mostly gonna wait until things get ripped off I think haha.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Mister Pipps

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Antonio area. Jeep Renegade Trailhawk but take an F250 out some.....love and hate the size. I am planning a Big Bend trip this November.
For a second I thought you wrote you had a "TrackHawk" and was like holy crap haha. Big Bend has been on my bucket list for a while and it's not too far away from where I am. 6 hours I think?

BrianBraski

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Hey guys just joined and I am also in a full sized truck. F-150 fx4. I am down in the Austin area for work and will be down here and the Buda area for the foreseeable future.IMG_2468.JPG

CCTX50

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi TEXAS
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Strasheim
Member #

Welcome to the forum. I am pretty new here myself and to overlanding. I have a 2013 Jeep JKUR that I have had and mods are very slow for me also. There is no rush since what I have and what you drive are very capable vehicles that can take you just about anywhere. I will be at the event in Llano in a few weeks. Come on out!

Mister Pipps

Rank 0

Traveler I

Welcome to the forum. I am pretty new here myself and to overlanding. I have a 2013 Jeep JKUR that I have had and mods are very slow for me also. There is no rush since what I have and what you drive are very capable vehicles that can take you just about anywhere. I will be at the event in Llano in a few weeks. Come on out!
I was going to comment about the Llano event as well. Should be a fun time! Welcome to the group!

BrianBraski

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

You talking about the expo?

What is the cost to enter and what days will you be there?

CCTX50

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi TEXAS
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Strasheim
Member #

Cost - 16 per day per person. Includes camping. I will be there staying Thursday evening till Sunday morning. Looks like they have some good classes scheduled also.

BrianBraski

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Hello, new here too, in N. Austin/Pflugerville, will be at the Texas Avid Outdoors Expo as well. Have an '18 ZR2 Colorado
i am going to try to make it, it will probably just be a head out there Saturday morning and come back that night thing.

Cdaug

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

Also new to OB and overlanding in Austin. 2013 Tacoma Prerunner (not 4WD..) wanted to make it to TAO but it was the same weekend as ACL! Any other similar events throughout the year?

Reactions: BrianBraski