SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Got my permit stuff started, looking forward to meeting some more folks around here.

If y'all want, we can start a group message to work out details and stuff. I trust everyone has recovery gear, straps, shovels, etc. I'll plan on bringing my chainsaw as well, I've been wanting to explore this area for a long time...

The Meyer Life

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Meyer
Member #

Got my permit stuff started, looking forward to meeting some more folks around here.

If y'all want, we can start a group message to work out details and stuff. I trust everyone has recovery gear, straps, shovels, etc. I'll plan on bringing my chainsaw as well, I've been wanting to explore this area for a long time...
Us too! If you want to message me your numbers I will get a group started.

Alan_Hepburn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, Ca USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Hepburn

I wish we could join you - but we're out of town for a couple of weeks. I hope you take lots of photos, especially any "rough" spots so we can be with you in spirit! If you schedule another outing please post it!

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Sorry guys, I haven't been on these forums in a while so I couldn't see your questions but it looks like y'all got it figured out in the end.

So how'd your run go? How's the roads?

Thinking of going back out there myself in the next month or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alan_Hepburn

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Sorry guys, I haven't been on these forums in a while so I couldn't see your questions but it looks like y'all got it figured out in the end.

So how'd your run go? How's the roads?

Thinking of going back out there myself in the next month or so.
It went pretty good! We took our time and made our way through it pretty slow, it's in an interesting state of decay... I'll get some pics up in a bit, here's some shots I just tossed up on IG...

Hollister

Rank I

Contributor III

Hollister, California
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Ruiz
It went pretty good! We took our time and made our way through it pretty slow, it's in an interesting state of decay... I'll get some pics up in a bit, here's some shots I just tossed up on IG...

The road looks like it's in decent shape. I haven't been up there in years but it used to get pretty rutted out in spots.

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
The road looks like it's in decent shape. I haven't been up there in years but it used to get pretty rutted out in spots.
Yeah, it wasn't too bad. There are a few property in-holders there, we ended up dealing with a few gates on our run, but the roads are graded fairly frequently it seemed.

Attachments

Reactions: 06tacodude

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
Well my family just took a quick wkend trip and found ourselves at Clear Creek BLM area entering from Coalinga Rd. We paid our $5 at the drop box and settled at the OakFlatCG since the dispersed area at the JadeMillCG was occupied by trucks/dirt bikes.

So the closed gate at JadeMill peaked my interest and then New Idria; which led me to this thread

I am thinking about going back and completing the route at some point. Gonzales - LaGloriaRd - 25 - CoalingaRd - ClearCreek (camp) - NewIdriaMine - Tummey Hills(camp) - head home.

@rho “property in-holders there, we ended up dealing with a few gates on our run”
What does this mean? We’re they illegal blocking access and you went around?

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Well my family just took a quick wkend trip and found ourselves at Clear Creek BLM area entering from Coalinga Rd. We paid our $5 at the drop box and settled at the OakFlatCG since the dispersed area at the JadeMillCG was occupied by trucks/dirt bikes.

So the closed gate at JadeMill peaked my interest and then New Idria; which led me to this thread

I am thinking about going back and completing the route at some point. Gonzales - LaGloriaRd - 25 - CoalingaRd - ClearCreek (camp) - NewIdriaMine - Tummey Hills(camp) - head home.

@rho “property in-holders there, we ended up dealing with a few gates on our run”
What does this mean? We’re they illegal blocking access and you went around?
There were a couple places where we had to turn around because of gates yes, but they were on side trails and not on the main roads. I can't give any comments on legality of those, either if they were allowed or not. I'll try to post up my .gpx of the route we did when I get home, it'll show some of the areas.

Its a super cool place to explore, so have fun when you go out there again!

JKGreg

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fresno Ca. Central Valley
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Callaway
Member #

It’s been several years since I have been up there, we may try soon to do some exploring, it’s practically in our backyard. We are in Fresno and I have gone quite a ways up before they closed access to some of the areas. There are some old asbestos mines in the area as well . Neat place to visit.

Reactions: 06tacodude and rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
It’s been several years since I have been up there, we may try soon to do some exploring, it’s practically in our backyard. We are in Fresno and I have gone quite a ways up before they closed access to some of the areas. There are some old asbestos mines in the area as well . Neat place to visit.
Yeah! I want to get some exploration done in the surrounding areas soon... I don't know that part of CA super well, so its been on the list to check out as well as the near-by BLM lands.

Reactions: JKGreg

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I was out there earlier this year on my dirt bike and thinking of heading back up once things dry out with my rig. Did you go all the way out as I heard there is a locked gate ( which I never made it too on the bike as I dumped it ½ way through ) and totally exhausted myself self recovering… There was like no one out there! - Thanks for the note on garbage bags, I am kinda OCD when it comes to picking up trash…

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I was out there earlier this year on my dirt bike and thinking of heading back up once things dry out with my rig. Did you go all the way out as I heard there is a locked gate ( which I never made it too on the bike as I dumped it ½ way through ) and totally exhausted myself self recovering… There was like no one out there! - Thanks for the note on garbage bags, I am kinda OCD when it comes to picking up trash…
Did you go in from the New Idira side or the hwy 25 side? There are gates on both sides into Clear Creek area... But from New Idira side you can explore a lot more before you run into the gates.
I think I put a link on the first page for info on all the permits and stuff, and how to get the combo for the gate locks. If I didnt, I can always re-post it.

Reactions: Advtres

bigmonkey1!$

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sunnyvale, CA, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Thibault
it looks like no one has posted anything in years what's up with that. wife and i have our permits and going camping there 6-02-2023 thrugh the weekend camping shooting and reliving some past exp. there and races

Reactions: Advtres

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

A few months ago I heard you cannot get to New Idrea from the Panoche valley side. Impassible road washout a year or two ago. But I just checked with a co-worker that has ties to Panoche Valley and he will be down there this coming weekend and will poke around to see what the current state is. He thought they might have made it passible after this winter's storms but wasn't sure so now he is curious as well. I'll post next week if he remembers to do so.
As far as all BLM lands in south San Benito County, even while still green out they closed shooting for the season starting May 25, despite the wet winter. CCFO_Fire_Restiction_Order_May 2023_508.pdf (blm.gov) . Best bet is call BLM and get the full scoop so it isn't a wasted trip.
In February I made the trip down Panoche road to the valley side to go shooting at Panoche Hills. The creek crossing was washed out and one side very treacherous for a full size to navigate. There is enough traffic on that road I will safely assume the county or the ranchers made that easily passible by now. The good news is the reeds are all blown out and gone so it's back to a shallow water crossing rather than a stagnant swamp. Just a tip- the dirt roads down there are smoother than the paved roads these days.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

As of June 5- a local reported the follwoing- washout still present closing section of road between Panoche Valley and New Idrea. Private land owner presently allowing a drive around, 4x4 required, but gate may be locked at any time so access not guaranteed.

Reactions: Wandering_Scotty