Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
A good friend is a salesman for Ford. Not a ton of info yet, but the cliff notes are turbo 2.3, optional off road package, locking rear diff, a potential diesel model, and reasonably priced (4wd for around $30k, base around 25, speculation for now).

I had a 97 2wd, manual 4 cyl ranger and it was a pile of junk. Always said I’d never do a small truck again, but small trucks got bigger, and big trucks got stupid expensive. When my silverado dies I may be in the market for a new ranger or (here’s hoping) Bronco.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I had an '88 4X4 Ranger followed by a '97 2WD F150 Supercab. I loved both of them, but hated the German 6 cylinder in the Ranger. First engine croaked at 80k miles, a rebuilt engine started having problems 10k miles in.

New F150s are huge compared to mine. I'm expecting the new Ranger to slot in just a bit smaller than the '97 F150 size, which would be perfect if I were in the truck market again. I hope it is a success!

fledwell

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Yeah, from what we've seen on paper this could be an excellent buy at a very good price. We're still perplexed why new vehicles are so expensive now. We get the integration of new technologies based on consumer demand; however, $65k+ for a full-size 4x4 truck or $50-55k+ for a Rubicon is ridiculous.

Reactions: 1derer

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Yeah, from what we've seen on paper this could be an excellent buy at a very good price. We're still perplexed why new vehicles are so expensive now. We get the integration of new technologies based on consumer demand; however, $65k+ for a full-size 4x4 truck or $50-55k+ for a Rubicon is ridiculous.
Ain't that the truth?

I'm glad the Ranger is coming back, growing up we had a couple of Rangers until my dad got a 97 F150. Like @Steve said, my guess is it'll be slightly smaller than that generation F150 as the new ones are pretty large (and expensive)! Heck, even a Tacoma or Colorado are expensive.

fledwell

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Agreed 100%! This should be a fun a very practical/functional truck. Once we know more about it and have a chance to review it in person, we'll get it posted up. Cheers!

Reactions: toxicity_27

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
I was sad when they eliminated the Rangers. I had a '92 with the 2.9L v6, Atlas II low-range transfer case, 4" lift, and I ran a 32.5" tall Explorer ProComp MT tires. It was primarily a solo person vehicle but my wife and I got out for long weekends in it frequently. I drove it for 22 years before gifting it to my nephew...loved that truck. It would climb a tree with that Atlas II and it turned on a dime on small streets and roads. Here it is buried in my old driveway.

Stuck Truck.jpg

fledwell

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I was sad when they eliminated the Rangers. I had a '92 with the 2.9L v6, Atlas II low-range transfer case, 4" lift, and I ran a 32.5" tall Explorer ProComp MT tires. It was primarily a solo person vehicle but my wife and I got out for long weekends in it frequently. I drove it for 22 years before gifting it to my nephew...loved that truck. It would climb a tree with that Atlas II and it turned on a dime on small streets and roads. Here it is buried in my old driveway.

View attachment 50336
That's a fine truck!!!

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

I'm curious what the new Rangers will be like too. I remember seeing some nice ones in Russia about 6 years ago. I thought to myself I wouldn't be opposed to a Ford if they were like that.

For nostalgia, and showing that the old Rangers aren't complete crap, I want to share the B-Roll Off-Road YouTube channel with you all. He has a pretty good time with the basics.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOwWBeGU3w1bW52fFA_O6BQ

fledwell

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I'm curious what the new Rangers will be like too. I remember seeing some nice ones in Russia about 6 years ago. I thought to myself I wouldn't be opposed to a Ford if they were like that.

For nostalgia, and showing that the old Rangers aren't complete crap, I want to share the B-Roll Off-Road YouTube channel with you all. He has a pretty good time with the basics.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOwWBeGU3w1bW52fFA_O6BQ
That's a pretty cool truck. Curious what he's done to the suspension (if anything) as it looks to be quite loose. Nonetheless, it's cool to see such a simple build do such fun off-pavement travel. Props to him!

Reactions: MBroenkow

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

I've seen these in Nicaragua, I wonder how much they are changing for the American market. That size truck is very practical! I imagine they will be regeared, or paired up to different trannys since in other markets they really dont need to do more than 120k/h. Will be interesting to see what happens with the Ranger and the upcoming Bronco.

WrongWayRandall

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

We loved our '97 Ranger XLT stick, 14 years and 285,000 miles before we needed more tow/cargo capacity and not a single major repair. I'd be interested to test drive one of these, but don't need another pickup at the moment.

Reactions: Plisken