Nevada weekend trip October 15th and 16th.

• HTML tutorial

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
@Tom K What's the Make/Model of that "Homage to Jiffy Pop" tent you have? ;-) And, are you happy with it?
It's a Shift Pod. I'm happy with it for long camps where you live in the tent for a week but for just one night at a site it's a bear to lift up onto the car. It's about $900 so a roof top tent might be a better choice for overland.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
It's a Shift Pod. I'm happy with it for long camps where you live in the tent for a week but for just one night at a site it's a bear to lift up onto the car. It's about $900 so a roof top tent might be a better choice for overland.
I'm actually looking for a tent for longer term campsites. Thanks! I'm looking to set up a semi-permanent camp, that will work in any season. I'm leaning toward your style tent inside one of these...
product_65E6F88B90564580B80310A60F2073A5_650.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Toyotadirtdevil

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
I'm actually looking for a tent for longer term campsites. Thanks! I'm looking to set up a semi-permanent camp, that will work in any season. I'm leaning toward your style tent inside one of these...
View attachment 10174
Technically they designed my tent to not need another structure above. That's why it's reflective and insulated. I found that in the desert in August I was pretty comfortable in there into late morning and I'm sure it would be OK all day with the doors open and a fan.

My biggest problem has been heavy rain - I get a bit of leak around the windows, especially if the zippers aren't closed right. I think they said this is more of a problem the early units. If it was under your awning this would not be an issue.

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Technically they designed my tent to not need another structure above. That's why it's reflective and insulated. I found that in the desert in August I was pretty comfortable in there into late morning and I'm sure it would be OK all day with the doors open and a fan.

My biggest problem has been heavy rain - I get a bit of leak around the windows, especially if the zippers aren't closed right. I think they said this is more of a problem the early units. If it was under your awning this would not be an issue.
Copy that. It looks like it might not handle a snow load very well either, but I like that it's insulated, and the silver on the inside will reflect your heat back at you.

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
It's actually white on the inside, I think so it doesn't feel like a cave. I'd guess it could handle at least a few inches of snow without a problem, it's pretty sturdy and you can guy out the sides to keep it from folding up.

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
It's actually white on the inside, I think so it doesn't feel like a cave. I'd guess it could handle at least a few inches of snow without a problem, it's pretty sturdy and you can guy out the sides to keep it from folding up.
The other option would be a 12' Hexayurt, inside the carport. I've got a 5'x10' utility trailer to transport.
Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 1.36.01 PM.png