Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

"Overlanding vehicle" in todays definition of "overlanding vehicle" 15k will get you some wheels, tires and maybe a scottle. A tacoma with a 4×4 camper was for sale at Expo East for 90k ...yes' Tacoma..hahah"Easy to work on" hmmm are u a mechanic/technician? Look, buy something that can be your daily, along with suiting your needs to "overland" whatever your definition of o overlanding is. You dont need to break the bank, and buy all the unnecessary bullshit thats on the market that is labeled "overland"
You don’t have to be a mechanic to work on a vehicle. Hence the reason to get one that’s relatively cheap and easy to work on. A 10-15 year old Toyota fits the bill.

There’s certainly a market out there for ridiculously overpriced crap aimed at people who have no idea what they’re doing and care more about taking pictures of themselves car camping than they do 4-wheeling. That said, I think $15k is very doable for a comfortable, reliable 4wd that can be used for “overlanding.”

Reactions: Chingon Granpa

Chingon Granpa

Rank III

Enthusiast III

la mirada ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Chavez
Member #

You don’t have to be a mechanic to work on a vehicle. Hence the reason to get one that’s relatively cheap and easy to work on. A 10-15 year old Toyota fits the bill.

There’s certainly a market out there for ridiculously overpriced crap aimed at people who have no idea what they’re doing and care more about taking pictures of themselves car camping than they do 4-wheeling. That said, I think $15k is very doable for a comfortable, reliable 4wd that can be used for “overlanding.”
You are absolutely correct!!

Bobert_60

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kansas
Thank you all for your extremely valuable advice on this topic, I tested out an FJ the other day and man I really hated it, felt more claustrophobic than the jeep did, and its way bigger! but I think I found my rig, an 06 4runner! (since I cant post links yet ill just describe it) Its got 91K miles, limited trim, 2" toytec lift with premium black wheels and some ko2s. it really does have all the creature comforts I didn't even know I wanted, leather, heated seats, dual zone auto climate control, sunroof and the list goes on. the price is just right too because its a no haggle price out the door of $14,900 I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow at noon (ive already driven and inspected it and I don't see or hear any issues) Now I just cant wait to get out there!

RXV_POOR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Antigua
Start with insurance. Talk with your insurer to find out what is the cheapest/least expensive to insure. Then work on your list of vehicles from there.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Thank you all for your extremely valuable advice on this topic, I tested out an FJ the other day and man I really hated it, felt more claustrophobic than the jeep did, and its way bigger! but I think I found my rig, an 06 4runner! (since I cant post links yet ill just describe it) Its got 91K miles, limited trim, 2" toytec lift with premium black wheels and some ko2s. it really does have all the creature comforts I didn't even know I wanted, leather, heated seats, dual zone auto climate control, sunroof and the list goes on. the price is just right too because its a no haggle price out the door of $14,900 I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow at noon (ive already driven and inspected it and I don't see or hear any issues) Now I just cant wait to get out there!
So how is the 4runner? Do you like it?

TacoVenturer87

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Kenora, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Gren
Member #

Hi everyone, I've been looking at overlanding for awhile now and I was just about to take the plunge last week, but unfortunately I totaled my Jeep Wrangler TJ in a winter storm, yikes!
Originally I was thinking about just buying another TJ but the main reason I'm hesitant is because of how loud it is on the highway, I don't think I can sit for more than 3 hours straight in the darn thing, which is a shame because I love everything else about it. She did pretty well off-road too.

Long story short I'm 18, I have 15K to play with and I want a moderately capable vehicle in its stock form, that's easy to work on (I'm pretty mechanically inclined, working on that TJ was easy as heck)
I also want a vehicle with a manual transmission, something about it just makes me feel really nice, I don't hate automatics but I would much rather drive a stick.

Easy to Work on
Reliable
Manual Trans
Moderately Comfortable

One vehicle Ive been looking at in particular is the Toyota FJ cruiser, and there are a few 2007 model years around my area that fit the budget.

Thanks for all your input
Hey Bobert_60

Sorry to hear about your TJ.

Depending on the region you live in some picks may be at the premium and others not as much. Look into the following:
2005+ Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4(nothing wrong with 4cyl but if you load it up, it will be working hard)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Toyota 4Runner V6 has a timing chain V8 has a belt (take your pick lol)
Jeep LJ the extended wheelbase will aid in what you can do to it and it's more stable vs a regular shorty. It still had the online 6cyl and you'll know exactly what's where. Also, you could take the seats and bedline the floor which would help with road noise a bit without costing you an arm and a leg.

Hope that helps

Matt

Reactions: Bobert_60

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Hey Bobert_60

Sorry to hear about your TJ.

Depending on the region you live in some picks may be at the premium and others not as much. Look into the following:
2005+ Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4(nothing wrong with 4cyl but if you load it up, it will be working hard)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Jeep LJ the extended wheelbase will aid in what you can do to it and it's more stable vs a regular shorty. It still had the online 6cyl and you'll know exactly what's where. Also, you could take the seats and bedline the floor which would help with road noise a bit without costing you an arm and a leg.

Hope that helps
He got a 4Runner just breaking it in now

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

Think about a mid 80s 3/4 ton solid front axel suburban it is as solid as they come chevy 350 motor i have several toyotas tacoma and older trucks landcruisers blazers bronco jkur jlur series 100 lancruiser all are most have flaws but that 85 4x4 suburban was smooth as glass and built like a tank

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I agree wanderer. It's to bad that every 80s burb here is now history. They use salt on the roads here, and it eats vehicles for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am actively looking for one. I only need a 1/2 ton version. Still solid front axle in the 80s so I am cool with that. Just put some lift in and good tires, and away we go. I had a 2005. I had to sell it because we thought we were moving from our big house to a new small house, but that never worked out and we are staying put. That is one sale that I never should have made.

I agree with the concensus that older vehicles are better. Hell, the new vehicles for the most part you cannot even service your transmission. My 2015 patriot I cannot check or really change the transmission fluid or filter. NOW at 80k my transmission is starting to skip when accelerating lightly. I am bringing it to the dealer next week to get them to put a claim in so I can start the process of getting the transmission either serviced with a new filter (removal of the transmission) or replace the entire thing. My ole 2007 escape has a dipstick, a replaceable filter and easy to work on system over all. At 100k it's still going strong. Today's vehicles are made to be disposable. I told my wife, get ready, you next vehicle is going to be carefully picked and an old rig. Get used to it. Maybe an old wagoneer.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

I may be a little bias, but if you loved your TJ that much. Why not go with a JK? I have the four door and I haven't missed my truck once since I bought it. Road noise isn't bad at all, its very capable, reliable, highly modifiable, and IMO an all around great vehicle. You can find them well within your price range for 2 and 4 door models, and its really easy to find a manual trans.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Love it. Best thing I've ever bought, the only thing I dislike is the electronic transfer case but other than that perfect.
Need to take a pic and upload it so people stop recommending vehicles to you lol
4Runners are really nice. The only thing that kept me from buying one is that people ask stupid money for them up here.

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Need to take a pic and upload it so people stop recommending vehicles to you lol
4Runners are really nice. The only thing that kept me from buying one is that people ask stupid money for them up here.
People ask stupid money for them just about anywhere...

Adventr-X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Grundy, VA, USA
Member #

Could also try an Xterra if you find one at better price (shoot for a 2010+). Our AM support isn't as large as an FJ but we have a strong torquey engine, cargo space, vision (no blind spot hehe), have a much cheaper long travel kit aka Titan Swap using OEM parts.

The Offroad/P4x models come with locker, incline/decline assist.

The 3 rigs I'd consider is the Xterra, FJ or 5thg 4Runner. I've driven the other two and liked the 4Runner on all accounts and while I like the rugged looks of the FJ I hated how it felt to drive it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hi everyone, I've been looking at overlanding for awhile now and I was just about to take the plunge last week, but unfortunately I totaled my Jeep Wrangler TJ in a winter storm, yikes!
Originally I was thinking about just buying another TJ but the main reason I'm hesitant is because of how loud it is on the highway, I don't think I can sit for more than 3 hours straight in the darn thing, which is a shame because I love everything else about it. She did pretty well off-road too.

Long story short I'm 18, I have 15K to play with and I want a moderately capable vehicle in its stock form, that's easy to work on (I'm pretty mechanically inclined, working on that TJ was easy as heck)
I also want a vehicle with a manual transmission, something about it just makes me feel really nice, I don't hate automatics but I would much rather drive a stick.

Easy to Work on
Reliable
Manual Trans
Moderately Comfortable

One vehicle Ive been looking at in particular is the Toyota FJ cruiser, and there are a few 2007 model years around my area that fit the budget.

As you can see here, you opened a can of worms. I'm with you when it comes to a rig that will be on the road for tours etc.. Just figure out what you want the vehicle to do and go for it. I would buy (because your young and learning) a decent 4x4 vehicle that has not been modified, has a frame and a body (not a unibody) (Any older Ford, Chevy or Dodge are easy and cheap to work on) .. I wouldn't pay more than $5000 for it. I would give it the test on the maintained roads and the unmaintained roads. Then decide how much of your remaining $10,000 you will need to spend on it to do what you want it to do. Consider what you want to do with your time, work on the rig or going out and driving it. I get my most rewarding enjoyment working on the rig, not repairing it, but making it work for me. Then going out to see if it will do what I want it to do. This is an investment in your pleasures and whatever you spend you will never get it all back, maybe none. Your payday will be what you learn from your experiences in learning. Something you cant get from a book or a formal education. Advise is cheap and only as good as the giver and there is nothing better than a lesson learned by doing. This is the advise I have given my 6 kids and it is advise I take myself. As they say, onward and upward, Good luck on your project, I will continue to build my Land Rover Discovery 2 and enjoy what I have.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Easy to Work on
Reliable
Manual Trans
Moderately Comfortable

Bobert, check this out..

Bobert_60

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kansas
Hey guys , sorry for the super long delay school has really been keeping me busey lol.

Here she is, my 06 4runner limited with the 4.0 v6
I bought it at around 95k miles but currently she has a bout 102k

Has a 3inch Toyota lift and some bfg tires that I'll probably be replacing this summer.

Thank you for all your input and I look forward to hearing any suggestions about mods. Look forward to seeing you all on the trail, drive on!20190316_153151.jpeg20190302_111130.jpeg

Last edited:

Bobert_60

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kansas
Could also try an Xterra if you find one at better price (shoot for a 2010+). Our AM support isn't as large as an FJ but we have a strong torquey engine, cargo space, vision (no blind spot hehe), have a much cheaper long travel kit aka Titan Swap using OEM parts.

The Offroad/P4x models come with locker, incline/decline assist.

The 3 rigs I'd consider is the Xterra, FJ or 5thg 4Runner. I've driven the other two and liked the 4Runner on all accounts and while I like the rugged looks of the FJ I hated how it felt to drive it.
I agree with your stance on the FJ, looks cool but is really weird to drive