Rank 0

Contributor I

Decatur, Texas
First Name
Curtis
Last Name
Merritt
Hey guys,

I need some advice for my first build here. Just purchased a ‘96 Land Rover Discovery 1, engine in good shape and overall structurally she’s in good working order minus some electric quirks. Suspension feels decent and tired need replacing. Would like to overland with wife and three kids (6, 8, 10 yo). Any helpful suggestions out there for what to consider? Would like eventually to head towards a full week excursion in the coming years.
ABDBFD89-B27A-4B0D-9492-4FA6D66FF911.jpeg

RAB

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chesterfield Township, MI, USA
First Name
Randan
Last Name
Burkall
Member #

A friend of mine has/had about 3 Land Rover discoveries. He always put a roof rack on his rigs when he got them for storage. One of them had a steel rear bumper with tire swing out and jerry cans. For the most part we just wheeled to places to kayak. He always said the Land Rover worked great off road, but that you have to look at your head gaskets as a service item every 100 K Miles. I think if your packing five people into that rig, you might want to look into a small trailer to pull some supplies if your going out for a full week at a time.

Reactions: IMDOC

John Day

Rank 0

Contributor I

I have a 97 D1. Did a terafirma lift with a larger set of MT tires. I did rig up a Craigslist roof rack. Spent a ton of wrench time on it.. But it fits me and the two boys perfectly.

Attachments