Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tebo
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Retired
For those of us who camp: remember hearing that vehicle tear past our camp and down the mountain? And we were joking about if we would find it stuck in a tree the next morning? Well, we did. @Sasquatch SC was behind me when we found an old Nissan pickup wedged between a tree and the edge of the mountain. When I talked to the driver, he said he was 'tearing it up' and acted like this was a normal thing to do. During the recovery they used another truck to stabilize the Nissan so it didn't fall down the cliff, but its tires were badly balding and didn't have a decent grip on the road so it ended up digging 4 holes into the road.

If I had large trash bags I would have stopped and cleaned up the trash and vehicle parts they left behind. I need to start carrying large trash bags so I can help keep these public lands clean.

View attachment 106090
These idiots will ruin it for the rest of us

Reactions: JButtress

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

For those of us who camp: remember hearing that vehicle tear past our camp and down the mountain? And we were joking about if we would find it stuck in a tree the next morning? Well, we did. @Sasquatch SC was behind me when we found an old Nissan pickup wedged between a tree and the edge of the mountain. When I talked to the driver, he said he was 'tearing it up' and acted like this was a normal thing to do. During the recovery they used another truck to stabilize the Nissan so it didn't fall down the cliff, but its tires were badly balding and didn't have a decent grip on the road so it ended up digging 4 holes into the road.

If I had large trash bags I would have stopped and cleaned up the trash and vehicle parts they left behind. I need to start carrying large trash bags so I can help keep these public lands clean.

View attachment 106090
After I saw the trash left behind I was dead set on catching up to that tow truck to try to get the name off of it but other cars got in the way. Did you happen to catch a photo of the name of the tow company or the license plate of the pickup that was wrecked?

They left behind the muffler, broken glass, tow straps, and general trash from the wreck. They didn't even kick it off out of the immediate area. Just left it all where it landed. I'd like to report it.

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

First, I'm glad that apparently no one was hurt. Second, my hope is that the recovery was expensive enough that the idiot in the Nissan pickup learned a lesson (we can only hope). Third I hope that someone had / has enough information to report the mess left behind so that the perpetrators can be made to clean it up. Interesting how we all knew as we were sitting around the campfire that this would be the likely result.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

First, I'm glad that apparently no one was hurt. Second, my hope is that the recovery was expensive enough that the idiot in the Nissan pickup learned a lesson (we can only hope). Third I hope that someone had / has enough information to report the mess left behind so that the perpetrators can be made to clean it up. Interesting how we all knew as we were sitting around the campfire that this would be the likely result.
Yup, we pretty much all called it. At least no one else was hurt

Reactions: THorner

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
After I saw the trash left behind I was dead set on catching up to that tow truck to try to get the name off of it but other cars got in the way. Did you happen to catch a photo of the name of the tow company or the license plate of the pickup that was wrecked?

They left behind the muffler, broken glass, tow straps, and general trash from the wreck. They didn't even kick it off out of the immediate area. Just left it all where it landed. I'd like to report it.
I took some video of the recovery, I'll check the footage when I get home and see if I can see the company name on the guy's shirt and if I got a clear shot of the plates on any of the vehicles. I'll PM you any details I get.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
From the way they talked it sounded like a normal weekend for them, especially when they talked about "tearing it up" like they did that every weekend. It probably is not the first time something like this happened. There was a guy who was driving a single-cab diesel Ford, with balding mud tires. He said he had tried before the wrecker got there to pull the Nissan out but couldn't, but during the recovery he dug probably 3-5 inches into the road when trying to keep the Nissan from going off the edge while the wrecker winched it onto the road.

I'll be reviewing the video I took and see what info I got so we can at least report them for the litter that was left.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I took some video of the recovery, I'll check the footage when I get home and see if I can see the company name on the guy's shirt and if I got a clear shot of the plates on any of the vehicles. I'll PM you any details I get.
I'm sending an email in to the FS, hopefully it is fresh enough and we have enough detail for them to take action. I only took a few snaps with my phone, but I couldn't make out much. You got a whole lot more stuff with a lot better camera than me.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
I'm sending an email in to the FS, hopefully it is fresh enough and we have enough detail for them to take action. I only took a few snaps with my phone, but I couldn't make out much. You got a whole lot more stuff with a lot better camera than me.
I sadly didn't take any pictures of the mess they left. I'll have to see if my friend was filming/taking pictures at that time. I'll (hopefully) be meeting up with him this upcoming weekend to do some planning on my ML, and will get copies of his data then, but I'll ask him if he has anything that he can forward to me now.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I sadly didn't take any pictures of the mess they left. I'll have to see if my friend was filming/taking pictures at that time. I'll (hopefully) be meeting up with him this upcoming weekend to do some planning on my ML, and will get copies of his data then, but I'll ask him if he has anything that he can forward to me now.
I can pull the card out of my dash cam and see if it is still on there. Even if we don't have a photo of just the aftermath - we still have photos of the crash scene and the tow truck. We know it was just north of the small, paved erosion control section. Shouldn't be too hard for them to track it down. The tow truck should have definitely cleaned up.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
My friend took a couple pictures when he crested the hill to see if they were still there (after that van passed us coming from that direction). You can zoom right in on the trash. I cropped it to focus on the mess.

RoadDebris1_cropped.jpg

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

For those that are curious about what happened in the saga of the idiots on the mountain. I sent the Grandfather Mountain Forestry District an e-mail about the incident & the crap they left behind. Surprisingly enough - they had a Federal Forestry Service Law Enforcement Officer contact me for more information. Thanks to Jason K, @BlazingArmoury taking some video w/ his DSLR camera I was able to provide them w/ the tow company name, license tags for that truck, the wrecked truck, & their buddy. At the very least, the officer will be visiting the tow operator for leaving all that crap on the mountain & hopefully they will give the driver a pretty stiff reason (beyond the loss of his truck) not to be going up there & “tearing it up”.

They were pretty appreciative for letting them know about this kind of thing happening on their turf. They have a huge area they oversee w/ a limited number of personnel. It takes people like us who love & respect these areas to reach out, help the authorities & let them know when people are messing it up. Trying to save these places before some asshat ruins it for everyone else.

This has solidified my thoughts on adding a Ham unit in addition to my CB in my rig. I just need to figure out a solid unit (I’d prefer a base style than a handheld version) & get licensed.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

For those that are curious about what happened in the saga of the idiots on the mountain. I sent the Grandfather Mountain Forestry District an e-mail about the incident & the crap they left behind. Surprisingly enough - they had a Federal Forestry Service Law Enforcement Officer contact me for more information. Thanks to Jason K, @BlazingArmoury taking some video w/ his DSLR camera I was able to provide them w/ the tow company name, license tags for that truck, the wrecked truck, & their buddy. At the very least, the officer will be visiting the tow operator for leaving all that crap on the mountain & hopefully they will give the driver a pretty stiff reason (beyond the loss of his truck) not to be going up there & “tearing it up”.

They were pretty appreciative for letting them know about this kind of thing happening on their turf. They have a huge area they oversee w/ a limited number of personnel. It takes people like us who love & respect these areas to reach out, help the authorities & let them know when people are messing it up. Trying to save these places before some asshat ruins it for everyone else.

This has solidified my thoughts on adding a Ham unit in addition to my CB in my rig. I just need to figure out a solid unit (I’d prefer a base style than a handheld version) & get licensed.
Glad to hear they were interested in getting more info to talk to the towing company

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

This has solidified my thoughts on adding a Ham unit in addition to my CB in my rig. I just need to figure out a solid unit (I’d prefer a base style than a handheld version) & get licensed.[/QUOTE]

Interesting that you should mention this. I've been looking at the requirements and if there atr any classes / testing locations here in NC. Turns out there is a class / test being offered in Gastonia on October 10. I'm thinking I should take the class and get licensed. Specific requirements are spelled out on this website: American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources .
Maybe we can get an OB group together to take this class and combine it with a Saturday evening get together.

Great to hear that your efforts to notify the FS were well received and will result in action. We do need to be vigilent and protect what we have. Thanks for taking the lead on this.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Interesting that you should mention this. I've been looking at the requirements and if there atr any classes / testing locations here in NC. Turns out there is a class / test being offered in Gastonia on October 10. I'm thinking I should take the class and get licensed. Specific requirements are spelled out on this website: American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources .
Maybe we can get an OB group together to take this class and combine it with a Saturday evening get together.

Great to hear that your efforts to notify the FS were well received and will result in action. We do need to be vigilent and protect what we have. Thanks for taking the lead on this.[/QUOTE]

I’d be interested in that class for sure. Gives me plenty of time to research units

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Great to hear that your efforts to notify the FS were well received and will result in action. We do need to be vigilent and protect what we have. Thanks for taking the lead on this.[/QUOTE]

I just read an article by a SHTF prepper who said you can spend $10 for an app that is nothing but practice tests you can take as many times as you want & all the questions are a mix of verbatim what the actual questions are.

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

True, All of the new test questions are available online. You can self educate and then just take the test. I'm a little more belt and suspenders guy and would like to take a class. The class has no fee other than the time to attend. After the class the test is administered and you will know immediately if you passed. Then all you have to do is wait for the FCC to update their database before you are allowed to transmit.