Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

True, All of the new test questions are available online. You can self educate and then just take the test. I'm a little more belt and suspenders guy and would like to take a class. The class has no fee other than the time to attend. After the class the test is administered and you will know immediately if you passed. Then all you have to do is wait for the FCC to update their database before you are allowed to transmit.
It’s just a 1 day class? If it is tuned for people who know absolutely nothing about it then I would totally be onboard.

Reactions: JButtress

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

It’s just a 1 day class? If it is tuned for people who know absolutely nothing about it then I would totally be onboard.
Yup, starts at 9:00 on the 10th and runs until..... according to the website. Sounds like a good deal to me. From their website:
"The Gaston Radio Group will sponsor a technician element class on Saturday August 10, 2019 at Zion Baptist Church (church fellowship hall located behind the church) 2437 South Propst Street Gastonia, NC 28056. You must pre-register and per-study. We will not allow walk INS. For more information send an email to N4ATJ@twc.com with your name address and phone included in the email and we will send you the study material and links for studying. We also ask that you register for a FRN Number through the FCC FRN Registration and print it out and bring it with you to the class."

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

Wish I could have made this trip but my weekends are already booked for a while so I couldn't commit. Glad to hear the joker in the truck wasn't hurt but I'm hoping the forestry CLEO is able to stack enough evidence to hold him accountable.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
The HAM radio class I took was a once a week, 8 week class with the last night bring test night. Check your area and see what clubs are around and what any of them offer. At the very least, there might be some people who are willing to go over the material with you leading up to the test. Operators are happy to talk shop with people who are interested in getting into HAM for whatever reason.

Definitely take practice tests online. The test is very technical, but it's multiple choice. If you took multiple (I would recommend doing at least 2 a day for a few weeks leading up to the test night) practice tests, then when it is time for the actual test you will do good. I took a class because I wanted to understand the material rather than just brute memorization, and it helped me a lot. There are about...30ish questions on the test, but it pulls from a pool of over 150 questions. I took a ton of practice tests and still ended up with questions I hadn't seen on my real test.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
For those that are curious about what happened in the saga of the idiots on the mountain. I sent the Grandfather Mountain Forestry District an e-mail about the incident & the crap they left behind. Surprisingly enough - they had a Federal Forestry Service Law Enforcement Officer contact me for more information. Thanks to Jason K, @BlazingArmoury taking some video w/ his DSLR camera I was able to provide them w/ the tow company name, license tags for that truck, the wrecked truck, & their buddy. At the very least, the officer will be visiting the tow operator for leaving all that crap on the mountain & hopefully they will give the driver a pretty stiff reason (beyond the loss of his truck) not to be going up there & “tearing it up”.

They were pretty appreciative for letting them know about this kind of thing happening on their turf. They have a huge area they oversee w/ a limited number of personnel. It takes people like us who love & respect these areas to reach out, help the authorities & let them know when people are messing it up. Trying to save these places before some asshat ruins it for everyone else.

This has solidified my thoughts on adding a Ham unit in addition to my CB in my rig. I just need to figure out a solid unit (I’d prefer a base style than a handheld version) & get licensed.
Glad to help!!

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
July is extremely busy for me, so I unfortunately won't be able to get together again until August. Maybe by then I'll have new front shocks and performance brakes!

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I am dying to get back out there!

Let’s move any trip planning over to the meetup thread. Just so others can see it!

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
Joseph (my friend who tagged along) is still working on getting me the video footage he took on the trip, but I found one video which was taken on my DSLR of my ML going over one of the washouts on the road.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Joseph (my friend who tagged along) is still working on getting me the video footage he took on the trip, but I found one video which was taken on my DSLR of my ML going over one of the washouts on the road.

I like the idea, the commentary is almost there, but to say the footage was anticlimatic to say the least.

To be honest, I would be much more impressed if he could get that drone to fly above the cars on the trail.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
I like the idea, the commentary is almost there, but to say the footage was anticlimatic to say the least.

To be honest, I would be much more impressed if he could get that drone to fly above the cars on the trail.
Yeah, like I said I'm still waiting for him to get me the bulk of the footage. That's on me though, since I forgot to bring my laptop to get the files right after the trip was done. Maybe on the next trip he'll be more confident about flying the drone above the vehicle convoy while we're on the trail!

I'm hoping the next trip will have some more entertaining obstacles to film. I wish I had taken some at Brown Mountain, rather than just the dash cam footage. NC105 was a lot easier than what I expected, Brown Mountain was quite the benchmark for me I think.

Edit: If you look closely at the video, you'll see my driver rear and then my passenger front tire go in the air and start to spin. This vehicle doesn't have a lot of suspension flex.

Last edited:

GeorgiaandherJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norwalk, CT
Member #

Hey everyone,

I will be heading down to NC from my home up in CT at the beginning of October and I'm just starting some research on trails, forest roads and awesome camp spots. I would appreciate any information you could provide. From what I have read, the Old NC 105 is pretty tame, but has some great spots with incredible views and some areas for dispersed camping. I'll be meeting up with my sister in Asheville, and then heading out for a couple nights camping from there. It's a long trip so I would rather find free, dispersed camping if possible, epic sites preferred obviously. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance for your help.