Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
Wilson Creek was more of a glorified camping club and less Overlanding. I'm fresh out of ideas though. Someone else will have to step up to the plate.

The only trails I am eyeing right now are more to the west. The Georgia Traverse is calling out to me simply because the eastern start is close to where I am.
Thanks for planning the last few trips! I'd give suggestions, but I'm still new and don't really know any good places yet.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Musterground Mountain Rd should be open for business as of this Sunday (first day of Fall hunting season). So I'm going to get out there the following weekend (anyone is welcome to join me) to check it out and scope out what we have to work with as far as camping options on the trail.

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Musterground Mountain Rd should be open for business as of this Sunday (first day of Fall hunting season). So I'm going to get out there the following weekend (anyone is welcome to join me) to check it out and scope out what we have to work with as far as camping options on the trail.
I’d definitely like to know how that 1 looks. I’m ending a 7-week streak of running trails &/or camping every weekend. Unfortunately, I need to take care of some adulting this weekend. Probably good for me to recharge my batteries too.

Plus, I’ve been neglecting a broken front sway bar link & I probably need to do a full check to make sure all the bolts are still tight on the rest of the Wander Wagon.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I’d like to go as well, but will not be camping onsite for $190 for the weekend that’s for sure
No doubt. That on-site price is crazy. If you were staying Thursday to Monday, it's not terrible but I can't imagine many people are staying for 5 days.

FYI, there's a coupon code that was made available from Expedition Portal for 15% off that's good until the 15th - OX19E-OJ15

Reactions: JButtress

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

No doubt. That on-site price is crazy. If you were staying Thursday to Monday, it's not terrible but I can't imagine many people are staying for 5 days.

FYI, there's a coupon code that was made available from Expedition Portal for 15% off that's good until the 15th - OX19E-OJ15
15% for even a one day ticket? I’m trying to find camping nearby and then just go in on Saturday

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
I watched a couple videos of the Georgia Traverse. Looks like its a good mix between easy pavement and technical parts. It'd be nice if we could spend a few days exploring part of it since there seems to be so much there.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I watched a couple videos of the Georgia Traverse. Looks like its a good mix between easy pavement and technical parts. It'd be nice if we could spend a few days exploring part of it since there seems to be so much there.
I like that it can be sectioned off. If you haven't made it as far as originally planned you can just jump over to the highway and scoot.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
I like that it can be sectioned off. If you haven't made it as far as originally planned you can just jump over to the highway and scoot.
Yeah! It's nifty, especially if there's a rough part that you can't do because of the weather or such. This should definitely be a trip in the future.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
I'll be volunteering, so I'm going to be driving on Wednesday or Thursday more than likely.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Finally got out to Musterground Rd today (it just opened last Sunday) and it's a really pretty trail. A lot of it is directly next to the lake, so you're overlooking it while you're driving. It'll be especially nice, as far as views go, when the leaves drop.

They did a ton of maintenance on it over the summer so a lot of the trail has fresh gravel on it and you can tell that several spots have even been graded, assumedly to level out some heavily eroded sections. So it would be a good trail for a beginner-friendly ride, as it's not challenging. There's a handful of super steep sections, similar to Chestnut Mountain, but there's no shortage of traction.

As for camping, we saw a few good spots but none that would be big enough for a large group. But we didn't have time to go all the way to the end, so we'll get back out there soon to do the whole trail and see if we can find group camping out there. If there's not camping on the trail, we could always just run the trail during the day and then camp at Devil's Fork or Keowee-Toxaway.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Finally got out to Musterground Rd today (it just opened last Sunday) and it's a really pretty trail. A lot of it is directly next to the lake, so you're overlooking it while you're driving. It'll be especially nice, as far as views go, when the leaves drop.

They did a ton of maintenance on it over the summer so a lot of the trail has fresh gravel on it and you can tell that several spots have even been graded, assumedly to level out some heavily eroded sections. So it would be a good trail for a beginner-friendly ride, as it's not challenging. There's a handful of super steep sections, similar to Chestnut Mountain, but there's no shortage of traction.

As for camping, we saw a few good spots but none that would be big enough for a large group. But we didn't have time to go all the way to the end, so we'll get back out there soon to do the whole trail and see if we can find group camping out there. If there's not camping on the trail, we could always just run the trail during the day and then camp at Devil's Fork or Keowee-Toxaway.
I’d definitely be up for checking it out

Reactions: THorner