Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Naw, that makes sense, lol. The US market buys more trucks and SUVs than most other places in the world, so it isn't surprising companies like Mercedes and Subaru built rather than shipped the cars to the US.
As well as BMW, Volvo, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, Porsche, VW... those are just the ones I can come up w/ off the top of my head that are here in the southeast.

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

I'll also be solo. My Mercedes is more expensive than any SO I'd have anyway...

Does anyone have camera equipment? I have a DSLR, a basic camcorder, and a glitchy dashca, but I don't have a GoPro (yet!). I want to get some actual shots of the ML320 doing some off roading (last time all I got was the dashcam footage, with only a small amount of it being usable). At the very least I hope you guys don't mind if I occasionally get out and set up a tripod.
I know this was a few posts ago (hard to keep up with such a busy thread) but I also have a HERO4 (Silver?) and a HERO4 Session that I can bring. The Silver also has an external mic that I used when I ran autocross that ran from above the tailpipe to the camera over my shoulder. Pretty good sound quality out of it

Reactions: JButtress

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I know this was a few posts ago (hard to keep up with such a busy thread) but I also have a HERO4 (Silver?) and a HERO4 Session that I can bring. The Silver also has an external mic that I used when I ran autocross that ran from above the tailpipe to the camera over my shoulder. Pretty good sound quality out of it
Well, it sounds like there are plenty of cameras around... but do any of you have any idea on how you’re going to mount them or anything?

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Well, it sounds like there are plenty of cameras around... but do any of you have any idea on how you’re going to mount them or anything?
I usually use a RAM dash mount but also have a suction cup RAM mount that I can mount to an exterior window or body panel as well as a RAM claw mount that I can mount to any of a number of places on my roof rack. My GoPros are set up with a remote so that I can turn them on and off regardless of where they happen to be. Just my 2 cents.

Adventure_InAllForms

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Charlotte, NC
First Name
Tobe
Last Name
Gee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT0BEG
I did Old NC 105 in my stock Jeep Patriot. Do-able is just about any AWD vehicle. South to north is great for that road. Be prepared for dust!

Also, I'm studying for my HAM license and plan to take the test in August. I believe the equipment is cheaper than a CB setup.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Does anyone know how to fly fish & might be willing to give me an introduction to it?
I’ve been fishing all my life - from commercial drag nets, shrimp try nets & long lines to private fishing using deep water draggers, outriggers, troll paths, trot lines, cane poles, spincast reels, bait-casting reels, spinning reels, surf reels, offshore trophy reels, jug lines, swamp trap fishing, bow fishing & spear fishing. I’ve done it all, but I’ve learned it all from others. My family is from the lowcountry of SC so I’ve never had anyone growing up to teach me how to fly fish. When I grew up, I loved the hills & chose to live in the foothills. However, I still have not learned how to fly fish & I would love to get some instruction. Any takers?

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Does anyone know how to fly fish & might be willing to give me an introduction to it?
I’ve been fishing all my life - from commercial drag nets, shrimp try nets & long lines to private fishing using deep water draggers, outriggers, troll paths, trot lines, cane poles, spincast reels, bait-casting reels, spinning reels, surf reels, offshore trophy reels, jug lines, swamp trap fishing, bow fishing & spear fishing. I’ve done it all, but I’ve learned it all from others. My family is from the lowcountry of SC so I’ve never had anyone growing up to teach me how to fly fish. When I grew up, I loved the hills & chose to live in the foothills. However, I still have not learned how to fly fish & I would love to get some instruction. Any takers?
I thought about getting into it but It’s an expensive hobby IMO and I’ve got enough of thought already. I’m from the piedmont so I’m not your guy but I hope you get into it

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I thought about getting into it but It’s an expensive hobby IMO and I’ve got enough of thought already. I’m from the piedmont so I’m not your guy but I hope you get into it
Me too... I don’t live real close to any fly fishing locations - but that’s part of the reason we Overland, right? Basecamp on wheels. You could start on Hurricane Creek fishing the small area that can sustain trout. Then at the top of the trail instead of heading towards max patch you could just keep fishing the Pigeon River & tributaries. My beefed up rig would be right at home traveling the forestry fire break trails right along the rivers to find my own honey holes.

NC Sasquatch

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

NC Foothills
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Luster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4LNR
I mean you can reach out to me and I’ll try to answer the questions you have. Like with everything else you can jump head first with it or just ease in it.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I mean you can reach out to me and I’ll try to answer the questions you have. Like with everything else you can jump head first with it or just ease in it.
I'm just trying to find someone to teach me the basics before I go and spend money on fly gear that I don't know how to use. I've done some initial research and just a good beginner's fly rod/reel combo is like $100. That's before I even pick up any tackle. I think I'm just going to have to hire a guide for a weekend so I know what I need. I still want to pick up a mid-armor skid plate and rock sliders for my rig. That is already going to set me back like $650, so I may have to wait until later in the year to try fly fishing. With the June/July sun warming the water, I won't have any problem catching my limit on trout running swimming lures on trolling rigs across Lake Jocassee.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I’m thinking of getting a Ham radio. Any benefits over Ham vs CB? I know Ham has better range
To me, CB and Ham are serving different purposes. CB being more for comms on the trail, between you and the folks in your convoy. Ham being more for comms beyond the trail, particularly for emergency situations - i.e. "all 4 of my tires have somehow gone flat and I have no air compressor, someone please help!" :laughing:

Ham can serve both of those purposes but, since you've got to be licensed to use it, it's less likely that everyone in your convoy will have Ham.

CB can really only serve the one purpose but, with the lack of need for licensing, it's more likely that everyone in your convoy will have it.

Long story short, it's best to have both if you can. But if only able to do one or the other, I personally advocate for Ham before CB because of the fact that Ham provides some emergency preparedness on the trail, particularly when you're by yourself.

NC Sasquatch

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

NC Foothills
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Luster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4LNR
I'm just trying to find someone to teach me the basics before I go and spend money on fly gear that I don't know how to use. I've done some initial research and just a good beginner's fly rod/reel combo is like $100. That's before I even pick up any tackle. I think I'm just going to have to hire a guide for a weekend so I know what I need. I still want to pick up a mid-armor skid plate and rock sliders for my rig. That is already going to set me back like $650, so I may have to wait until later in the year to try fly fishing. With the June/July sun warming the water, I won't have any problem catching my limit on trout running swimming lures on trolling rigs across Lake Jocassee.
A lot of guides or bigger fly shops have someone who does casting lessons. That may be your best bet and use the guides equipment on a trip before you but your own stuff to make sure you enjoy it.

Sartorius

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Charlotte, NC, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Man you guys are killing me...I have an unfinished XJ and a birthday party for my best friends little girl Saturday, I always take fly fishing equipment and I am so close to the meetup. Hope you guys get a meet up soon after this one. I would love to tag along if you will have me.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Man you guys are killing me...I have an unfinished XJ and a birthday party for my best friends little girl Saturday, I always take fly fishing equipment and I am so close to the meetup. Hope you guys get a meet up soon after this one. I would love to tag along if you will have me.
I would definitely be up for more often meet ups

Reactions: Sartorius

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Always welcome bud. I am having to take this trip w/o any skidplates on my car at all - they don’t arrive until 7/1.

I’m looking forward to a nice drive to the top & then drinking a nice adult beverage or two while I survey the gorge beneath me like a nobleman.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Are you in NC? I’m always up for a trip that’s not too crazy. Just a stock Silverado for me with a leveling kit.