Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Anybody bringing their significant other? Trying to talk the wife into going. My 13 y/o daughter may come along also.
I would be bringing my niece, but that would require an argument and bribery. I took her on a short backpacking trip and we had a bear on the river next to where we were camping at. My dogs ran it off. If they didn't I usually carry bear spray in my pack. If that doesn't work, there are 10 Hydra-Shok 9mm as a last resort. I'm going to have to force her back into it on a closer to home trip. However, it's still a family friendly activity. The more the merrier.

Reactions: JButtress

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
I'll also be solo. My Mercedes is more expensive than any SO I'd have anyway...

Does anyone have camera equipment? I have a DSLR, a basic camcorder, and a glitchy dashca, but I don't have a GoPro (yet!). I want to get some actual shots of the ML320 doing some off roading (last time all I got was the dashcam footage, with only a small amount of it being usable). At the very least I hope you guys don't mind if I occasionally get out and set up a tripod.

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Does anyone have camera equipment? I have a DSLR, a basic camcorder, and a glitchy dashca, but I don't have a GoPro (yet!). I want to get some actual shots of the ML320 doing some off roading (last time all I got was the dashcam footage, with only a small amount of it being usable). At the very least I hope you guys don't mind if I occasionally get out and set up a tripod.
I will have my very old Nikon DSLR with me as well as a couple of original GoPro Hero 1, the original, but they still work. I'd be glad to get some footage of you from in front or behind or both your choice. Not both at the same time of course.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I'm perfectly fine with that if you dont mind grabbing some footage of mine as well haha. I wouldn't need a ton. I've got a GoPro Hero I can bring as well and try to get some shots

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I have a Mercedes taste in ladies but on a Subaru budget.

This many people riding solo there won’t be any beer left over!!

I have a Spytec A119 dash cam w/ a wide angle lens & records in HD. I’ve never actually pulled the card out to look at anything though. I also have a pretty decent Canon. It’s not quite a DSLR, but its better than a point & shoot. It has a good optical zoom & it can wirelessly send photos/videos to my phone or iPad. I use it for work, but I only take pictures of manufacturing components/problems for our engineering team to asses. I always want to get some good trail shots, but I don’t have the artistic eye for it. I can take 50 shots and only one turns out decent. You’re more than welcome to use it though - you just gotta get 1 good shot of the battlewagon in action.

Contributor I

I have a Mercedes taste in ladies but on a Subaru budget.

This many people riding solo there won’t be any beer left over!!

I have a Spytec A119 dash cam w/ a wide angle lens & records in HD. I’ve never actually pulled the card out to look at anything though. I also have a pretty decent Canon. It’s not quite a DSLR, but its better than a point & shoot. It has a good optical zoom & it can wirelessly send photos/videos to my phone or iPad. I use it for work, but I only take pictures of manufacturing components/problems for our engineering team to asses. I always want to get some good trail shots, but I don’t have the artistic eye for it. I can take 50 shots and only one turns out decent. You’re more than welcome to use it though - you just gotta get 1 good shot of the battlewagon in action.
Lol don’t worry I only drink whiskey. I’ll probably be riding solo but if my wife has those days off for work she’ll be with me. I need to get a dash cam and a actual camera all I got is my iPhone se.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I'd be more than happy to get shots of you guys too!

I've been wanting to start making videos featuring my ML, and I'm hoping this trip will help get me started on that vlog series.
This would probably be a good trip to start your series on. This may be 1 of the most eclectic groups of overlanders from the southeast to ever get together for a ride. Won’t know for sure until the day-of (a lot of people don’t hit the button if they’re coming or not on the rally point page), but just scrolling through when we started talking about this we may have:
Chevrolet Silverado
Chevrolet Tahoe
Jeep JLU
Jeep XJ
Mercedes ML320
Subaru Outback
Toyota Tacoma
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Tundra

That’s one hell of a diverse group of vehicles.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
This would probably be a good trip to start your series on. This may be 1 of the most eclectic groups of overlanders from the southeast to ever get together for a ride. Won’t know for sure until the day-of (a lot of people don’t hit the button if they’re coming or not on the rally point page), but just scrolling through when we started talking about this we may have:
Chevrolet Silverado
Chevrolet Tahoe
Jeep JLU
Jeep XJ
Mercedes ML320
Subaru Outback
Toyota Tacoma
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Tundra

All we need are a couple more European vehicles and we'll be pretty evenly spread between American, Japanese, and Europe car manufacturers!

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

All we need are a couple more European vehicles and we'll be pretty evenly spread between American, Japanese, and Europe car manufacturers!
My Subaru has a sticker on the window saying it’s from Indiana & I have a certificate in my owners manual certifying that the Napa leather was sourced from some farm in Idaho. That’s my story & I’m sticking to it.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Chevrolet Silverado
Chevrolet Tahoe
Jeep JLU
Jeep XJ
Mercedes ML320
Subaru Outback
Toyota Tacoma
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Tundra

This will be a blast. Looking forward to meeting everyone and picking everyone’s brains on overlanding

Reactions: redneckinarav4

Contributor I

My Subaru has a sticker on the window saying it’s from Indiana & I have a certificate in my owners manual certifying that the Napa leather was sourced from some farm in Idaho. That’s my story & I’m sticking to it.
Dang that’s awesome. Wish mine was made in Japan like some RAV4s are. But instead it’s made in the next best thing a plant in Canada.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
That reminds me; I suppose technically my ML is American since it was built in the US, lol.

Reactions: redneckinarav4

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

That reminds me; I suppose technically my ML is American since it was built in the US, lol.
The global marketplace has become so convoluted and mixed in the past 25 years that there really aren’t any Japanese, American, or European cars anymore. I have my iMBA in international business administration and I have the very early parts of my doctoral thesis started focusing on the suppression of global economy because of regional politics. It will bore you to tears - but the long & short of it are - cars are literally built nearby where people will buy them.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
The global marketplace has become so convoluted and mixed in the past 25 years that there really aren’t any Japanese, American, or European cars anymore. I have my iMBA in international business administration and I have the very early parts of my doctoral thesis started focusing on the suppression of global economy because of regional politics. It will bore you to tears - but the long & short of it are - cars are literally built nearby where people will buy them.
Naw, that makes sense, lol. The US market buys more trucks and SUVs than most other places in the world, so it isn't surprising companies like Mercedes and Subaru built rather than shipped the cars to the US.