Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
How does May 25th at Uwharrie for our next meet-up work for you guys?

Uwharrie National Forest offers a lot more than just off-roading so feel free to come out even if you don’t plan on hitting the trails. Here’s some things to do there:
-Kayaking/canoeing (there are rentals available)
-Hiking
-Off-roading (trail difficulty ranges from easy dirt roads to hardcore)
- mountain biking
-camping
-fishing

Here’s what I am thinking:
We meet up in the morning. There’s a convince store (El Dorado Outpost) that has a restaurant inside if you’re hungry. We have our “meeting” and then everyone can descend upon Uwharrie as they please. We can split into smaller groups based on activity if warranted.

Thoughts?
Feedback and conversation is what has been fueling our community so get to it.
Dang! I really want to go but I'll be at a wedding in Branchville, SC that weekend. Never heard of Branchville, you say? Exactly. :unamused::disappointed:

Pirate75

Rank V
Launch Member

Builder I

Statesville, North Carolina
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Grimes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RWT
I'm definitely interested in a trip to Uwharrie.
I had asked for this past Saturday a while ago to hit URE with some old friends. Was muddy, slippery, lots of traffic, and the Forest Service was out in force.

I got high centered on trail I typically run solo, but made for a good time. I am a stock Taco on 32’s. I probably won’t venture back till it’s a little less muddy on a weekday and I get my suspension on that is sitting in the basement..

I am only about an hour from there..

Trevor Atchley

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee

Uwharrie National Forest offers a lot more than just off-roading so feel free to come out even if you don’t plan on hitting the trails. Here’s some things to do there:
-Hiking
- mountain biking
-camping
-fishing

We meet up in the morning. There’s a convince store (El Dorado Outpost) that has a restaurant inside if you’re hungry. We have our “meeting” and then everyone can descend upon Uwharrie as they please. We can split into smaller groups based on activity if warranted.

Thoughts?
I went with you guys to brown mountain. Had a blast. Definitely interested in the Uwharrie trip.

Graham1298

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Forsyth County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Graham
Member #

-Hiking
- mountain biking
-camping
-fishing

Thoughts?
I’m in! I will have my daughter with me as well... She’s starting to develop an interest since I’ve been binge-watching anything overlanding on YouTube.

Reactions: NC-Trooper

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
@Tito_the_Taco & I would love to be there. Our local wheeling and camp spot. We're actually headed ot this Friday-Sunday to uwharrie to do a test run with all the new camp gear for this season.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
I sadly won't be able to make it to the Uhwarrie meetup. I'll be helping Congaree NP with their Firefly festival, and I also don't know if I'll have my suspension upgraded by then or not.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

sounds amazing!! really wish i could make it. Probably not going to be home by then though. Hopefully there will be another uwharrie meet sometime later this year. Hope you guys have a blast!

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

I've heard Uhwarrie is a good place for beginners. If that's true I'm totally down
uwharrie is a great place regardless of your offroading experience. it offers a lot of trails ranging from super easy to , "you might flip over"

If anyone going has a jeep, Jeep has a "trails of honor" app and they have a trail in uwharrie, if you check in while youre there and complete the trail, they will send you a custom badge to put on your rig.

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I've heard Uhwarrie is a good place for beginners. If that's true I'm totally down
Depending on the trail and the rig then it is.

You get the wrong rig on the wrong trail and it’s a nightmare.

“It doesn’t matter what you drive but it does matter where you drive it”

NC Sasquatch

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

NC Foothills
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Luster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4LNR
Depending on the trail and the rig then it is.

You get the wrong rig on the wrong trail and it’s a nightmare.

“It doesn’t matter what you drive but it does matter where you drive it”
Especially if you’re riding with Trevor.

Nchome

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

North Carolina
Member #

May 25th works out great for me and I will Hopefully be trail ready. I have the whole week and weekend off so I can take my time and enjoy myself for a change lol.

Trevor Atchley

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee

-Hiking
- mountain biking
-camping
-fishing

Thoughts?
I was informed last night that we have a wedding to attend the weekend of May 25. So, regrettably, I am not going to be able to attend this trip. Will certainly keep an eye out for others as they are planned.

Darthwj913

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

What are your thoughts on meet-ups?-YES we need this.
Are you interested? Very.
What time of day? -Weekends afternoon
Frequency. Once a month, every 2 months, etc.-Monthly for mall crawlin
Are you open to a large group weekend trip? YES!!
Are you open to a more traditional overland trip in a smaller group like a week long? Not really as PTO is a rare commodity

Just a thought. CLT is a good 2 plus hours of bad traffic for me as is for many other OB members in NC im sure. If moving more tward the center of the state is possible that would be better. Think about the Eastern, Triangle, and Triad based folks also. Maybe alternate locations like NC Sasquatch said. IE Charlotte, Winston-Salem/Greensboro, Raliegh-Durham etc. Rotate for the Piedmont. As for trips that involve dirt and cold beverages at the end of the day ill travel any were...

Overland Wanderlust

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

RURAL HALL, NC
Member #

Are you open to a more traditional overland trip in a smaller group like a week long? Not really as PTO is a rare commodity

Just a thought. CLT is a good 2 plus hours of bad traffic for me as is for many other OB members in NC im sure. If moving more tward the center of the state is possible that would be better. Think about the Eastern, Triangle, and Triad based folks also. Maybe alternate locations like NC Sasquatch said. IE Charlotte, Winston-Salem/Greensboro, Raliegh-Durham etc. Rotate for the Piedmont. As for trips that involve dirt and cold beverages at the end of the day ill travel any were...
We are trying to get a meetup here in the Triad on May 18th

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I think we should move towards have different smaller groups that meet locally monthly or however much they chose to. Then a couple times of year the groups from different cities get together and hit the road.

I agree that NC is too big of a state to expect people to make 3-4 hour trips one way out of there Saturday every month.

THIS IS AN AWESOME PROBLEM TO HAVE! The fact that there is not enough me to go around to have meet-ups in every NC city is awesome. With this big said we need people who are COMMITTED and responsible enough to get the meet-ups in the Triad, eastern NC, & western NC going and keep breathing life into it their cities overland community until people connect with one another. Once people connect more than once the groups take off from there.

We have had a couple people try this kind of thing and they flame out and disappear.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN REPRESENTING OB IN YOUR CITY MESSAGE ME AND WE CAN GO FROM THERE. If we can get a small crew for each city that would be shaaaweeeeet!