KI5GPV
Reactions: Ashton

spoonible

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Southern CA
Member #

Care to share some of your setup for this? Even with a 30 second exposure and the iso cranked as high as Im comfortable with, I can't get nearly that much light in any of my astral photos.
Sure thing!

I use a full frame Sony and all my astro starts at 16mm, f/2.8, 30 secs, ISO 3200, and shot in RAW. If I ever need to adjust the exposure of a scene the ISO is the only variable, the other factors are locked in. That makes life so much easier! I manual focus and have a 2 sec delay on my shutter. After the image is taken it goes into Lightroom for post. I adjust the tonal curve to give it a 'S' shape, brightness/contrast to bring out the most stars, and temperature to give it the most color. That's the workflow in a nutshell. Any other adjustments are nuances specific to the shot.

Hope this is useful!

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
Sure thing!

I use a full frame Sony and all my astro starts at 16mm, f/2.8, 30 secs, ISO 3200, and shot in RAW. If I ever need to adjust the exposure of a scene the ISO is the only variable, the other factors are locked in. That makes life so much easier! I manual focus and have a 2 sec delay on my shutter. After the image is taken it goes into Lightroom for post. I adjust the tonal curve to give it a 'S' shape, brightness/contrast to bring out the most stars, and temperature to give it the most color. That's the workflow in a nutshell. Any other adjustments are nuances specific to the shot.

Hope this is useful!
Thanks! That's what I did too. I have a Sony a6000, so not quite full frame, but close. I think my kit lens is a 16mm focal length as well. I was at 16mm, f/3.5, 30 seconds, iso 4000 in the shot below from the other night in Plumas NF. But your shot is way more detailed. I'll just have to play with it some more I guess, and start messing with the manual focus for this stuff. Have you found a way to have it expose for more than 30 seconds?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2 and Ashton

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Sure thing!

Hope this is useful!
Excellent info

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

Ashton

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Near the Rubicon
First Name
Hari
Last Name
See Above
Thanks! That's what I did too. I have a Sony a6000, so not quite full frame, but close. I think my kit lens is a 16mm focal length as well. I was at 16mm, f/3.5, 30 seconds, iso 4000 in the shot below from the other night in Plumas NF. But your shot is way more detailed. I'll just have to play with it some more I guess, and start messing with the manual focus for this stuff. Have you found a way to have it expose for more than 30 seconds?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Hows the woods looking up yonder? Time to start planning the finishing phases of my Plumas BDT trip.