Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Some of the climate zones I crossed through on my latest trip through AZ into NM, USA. 24th-30th March 2019; 2k + miles of Awesomeness!
View attachment 91821
View attachment 91824
View attachment 91823
View attachment 91826
View attachment 91822
View attachment 91827
View attachment 91818
View attachment 91819
View attachment 91820
Nice photos. You look at them, then see the huge remnants of the petrified wood, and imagine how that whole vista was once forested. Very sobering of how nature changes, time flows, and life goes on.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Have been to Canada 2x, and British Colombia and Alberta, have been my favorite western Provinces. A side note......:dizzy:......"this was Oct 2019 Northern Ont. Can. " Looking for the Silver Delorian, Ha Ha.........just tweaking your nose. So pretty up there. The East,.....not bad, but the hardwoods (Ontario/Quebec) just doesn't compare to the West.

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Nice photos. You look at them, then see the huge remnants of the petrified wood, and imagine how that whole vista was once forested. Very sobering of how nature changes, time flows, and life goes on.
I thought that as well, but the Petrified Forest Ranger at the visitor center stated, the trees did not grow there, they floated in on a long dried up river system, as well as the land mass being in a different latitude and longitude position on the globe.

My picture below is the best example I took for how well preserved the wood is. It looks like you could cut it with a wood saw, but that is solid rock.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I thought that as well, but the Petrified Forest Ranger at the visitor center stated, the trees did not grow there, they floated in on a long dried up river system, as well as the land mass being in a different latitude and longitude position on the globe.

My picture below is the best example I took for how well preserved the wood is. It looks like you could cut it with a wood saw, but that is solid rock.

View attachment 92987
Look at how big this was in circumference, figure some contraction due to drying out. Almost a smaller/young Redwood size. Mmm..... up the side of a slope, not in the bottom.

You usually don't see the fibers, like you do on this example. You also do not see such division between the core, and the bark!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Good eye.!

Yes, from the bottom side. I think it is called Bull Canyon IIRC. Not that many people make it down there.

Last edited:

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Good eye.!

Yes, from the bottom side. I think it is called Bull Canyon IIRC. Not that many people make it down there.
I have not seen it from the bottom yet (plan too), I was exploring that area the week of Thanksgiving 2018 and drove past the Bridges and glad I stopped. What is impressive is the +40 foot of rock overhang that people walk on when they walk down to look at the bridges from the top. Their facial expressions when they realize that it's there are priceless.

Gemini Bridges

Gemini Bridges

One fascinating thing to me is the lack of debris under the overhang; it's almost like it was dug out. It is hard to imagine that wind and rain would have left the floor as flat and smooth as it is.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
The pix was taken outside Moab Utah at a feature called Gemini Bridges. If you look up you can see that there are two side by side arches. Most people visit the easy to get to top side, but I think looking at it from underneath is more impressive. I would have to do some looking, but I think the trail to get to the bottom is called Bull Canyon. It is not extremely hard, but has quite a bit of brush can give you some pinstriping and has some deep silt/sand. When we went, it had rained a few days before and was not a problem.