louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
in singapore, they publicly cane people who commit vandalism...i would certainly vote for that here

Reactions: K6JGA and J.W.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I honestly don’t know what the solution is. It’s a mess all around for sure.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I just replied to a similar post on a different thread. As bad as I hate to say this but dang they should go to a permit for camping . You could pick your spot then have it put on a permit so that if you trash it then you would be held responsible for the clean up or forfeit any future permits the more violations the longer the forfeiture.

Reactions: J.W.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I just replied to a similar post on a different thread. As bad as I hate to say this but dang they should go to a permit for camping . You could pick your spot then have it put on a permit so that if you trash it then you would be held responsible for the clean up or forfeit any future permits the more violations the longer the forfeiture.
But, you run into a similar issue that you have with firearm laws. (It only hurts those who are law abiding.)

Criminals will always do what they do disrespect and disobey the law.

Say, you find a spot and you get a permit, the next day you leave the spot and move on. Then you have another worthless dreg of society come along and trash your site the next night. On night three another law abiding overlander comes along and sees the site trashed and calls to report it. The officer looks up who was the last one recorded to stay there. (BINGO! Your name comes up and a warrant is issued for your arrest! Congrats, you just lost your freedom and the right to use public lands in the future!)

See how what sounds like a simple solution can become very complicated and dangerous for people that follow the law?

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I just replied to a similar post on a different thread. As bad as I hate to say this but dang they should go to a permit for camping . You could pick your spot then have it put on a permit so that if you trash it then you would be held responsible for the clean up or forfeit any future permits the more violations the longer the forfeiture
Yeah, I saw someone posted the same article this morning after I had. Perhaps a Moderator could combine the two threads?

As for the permits, I know that some state parks already use the permit system. I have no idea how effective it is but I know it does exist in some places.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Criminals will always do what they do disrespect and disobey the law.
This is true and it is not specific to our experience with Covid19. It happened before the pandemic and it will continue to happen after. What I found interesting is how this has impacted the lives of people who depend on tourism for their livelihoods.

A lot of what has been said in the article is why my wife and I have voluntarily stayed home instead of doing any camping during the pandemic. The parks are already understaffed and now we are adding people who do not normally visit these areas who are trying to escape the city. It's making a bad situation worse. I want to be out there as much as anyone else but I hate reading about these great areas being destroyed. A lot of people want to shut them down completely until next year. I don't know if that is the answer either because it's going to hurt so many businesses. Tough situation all around.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Yes I was in Red River, NM and it was packed then went over the pass to Eagle's Nest not a store open. Came home for a short time (cross finger the VA let me leave again) and the Governor of New Mexico says no camping in State Parks which we all knew then said only state residence could day use the parks.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Yes I was in Red River, NM and it was packed then went over the pass to Eagle's Nest not a store open. Came home for a short time (cross finger the VA let me leave again) and the Governor of New Mexico says no camping in State Parks which we all knew then said only state residence could day use the parks.
Most everything in our area has been closed since late March. We already cancelled 3 trips this summer. I doubt any of our fall trips will happen either.

Reactions: Boppa's Travels

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Also ran into stores some required masks where other didn't. I did see a few non-locals walk out of the store mumbling about shopping somewhere else. I know that happen in Pecos because I found a store that didn't require masks so I shopped there while I was in the area. I did that for the fact I wear glasses and hearing aids. If fact the when I said something to the VA about nearly loosing my hearing aids, the Dr. said a lot of veterans have lost theirs.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Also ran into stores some required masks where other didn't. I did see a few non-locals walk out of the store mumbling about shopping somewhere else.
That's another big issue. People traveling across the country and some don't want to wear a mask.

That's really nothing new. During the Spanish Flu pandemic, there was "The Anti-Mask League" in San Fransisco around 1918. People have been arguing about this for a long time. I doubt they will stop anytime soon.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Most everything in our area has been closed since late March. We already cancelled 3 trips this summer. I doubt any of our fall trips will happen either.
Yes I was planning trips expo west and mountain west. If fact when I headed out even the forest campground in New Mexico weren't open because the were following what the state of New Mexico was doing. But I am planning to head back out by next week I hope. Will go to open places and make plans to hit the closed places later in time.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Cool. I did do virtual in the spring enjoyed several of the topics. Still debating about the 8th didn't see many topics that interested me.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

New Mexico is in a unique position. One of the poorest states in the US and many many many large households. One person gets sick, they all get sick. Native Americans in NM make up 7% of the population but they are leading the state in Covid deaths at 30% of the total count. Many reservations have closed their entrances to parks and are in virtual lockdown.

You can argue genetics, poverty, addiction, whatever... the fact remains they are at massive risk, so I get why they are locking themselves down.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
New Mexico is in a unique position. One of the poorest states in the US and many many many large households. One person gets sick, they all get sick. Native Americans in NM make up 7% of the population but they are leading the state in Covid deaths at 30% of the total count. Many reservations have closed their entrances to parks and are in virtual lockdown.

You can argue genetics, poverty, addiction, whatever... the fact remains they are at massive risk, so I get why they are locking themselves down.
Also have a high population of ROP (retinitis pigmentosa) I worked with visually impaired kids and just retired. Years ago I was offered a job at the New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired in the Farmington area and most of the cases were native American kids.