Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus, GA, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Alexander
Member #

Is anyone planning a camping trip or anything for between Christmas and New Years?
Actually in the process of planning a trek out to Colorado and New Mexico for New Years. Looking at a trip from 26 Dec to 4 Jan.

Finally got my bed rack and RTT situated. Can’t wait to buckle down and plan the trip out on the following days.

Theo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville
Member #

House mountain trail. You could make it to some of the campsites in the lower portion easily. Then the trail really starts to climb and there are big ledges and rocks. I had to use my locker a good bit on the climb up. There are no bypasses and trail is very narrow along with big drop offs. You could get really good views from schnebly hill. Its rocky but you could get up no problem. Runs from just outside downtown Sedona (its marked on the 2nd or 3rd roundabout as you come in from the south,) to I-17 just south of Flagstaff. Lots of switchbacks and side trails to explore. Starts off easy then gets more rocky when you get to the switchbacks. I highly recommend it.

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
House mountain trail. You could make it to some of the campsites in the lower portion easily. Then the trail really starts to climb and there are big ledges and rocks. I had to use my locker a good bit on the climb up. There are no bypasses and trail is very narrow along with big drop offs. You could get really good views from schnebly hill. Its rocky but you could get up no problem. Runs from just outside downtown Sedona (its marked on the 2nd or 3rd roundabout as you come in from the south,) to I-17 just south of Flagstaff. Lots of switchbacks and side trails to explore. Starts off easy then gets more rocky when you get to the switchbacks. I highly recommend it.
Thanks. Maybe we'll give it a shot and see how far we get.

@TNTaco we will also be out in the NM/CO/AZ areas during that time. Maybe we'll cross paths and can meet up one day.

Green Boot Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus, GA, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Alexander
Member #

Thanks. Maybe we'll give it a shot and see how far we get.

@TNTaco we will also be out in the NM/CO/AZ areas during that time. Maybe we'll cross paths and can meet up one day.
Absolutely! Looking around, it seems as if a lot of the cool places are closed up for the winter months...any recommendations on places to explore in Colorado? I imagine I'll make a trip out to Estes Park because I have family in that area, but was wanting to travel south close to Durango and check it out. I imagine I'll spend NYE somewhere around ABQ, NM.

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
Absolutely! Looking around, it seems as if a lot of the cool places are closed up for the winter months...any recommendations on places to explore in Colorado? I imagine I'll make a trip out to Estes Park because I have family in that area, but was wanting to travel south close to Durango and check it out. I imagine I'll spend NYE somewhere around ABQ, NM.
Our tentative plan right now is to hit up Albuquerque and the area just north for some mountain biking, then up to Navajo Lake area for some fly fishing, then to Durango to just see the area and check it out, then SW Utah, then finally down to Sedona/Flagstaff for more mountain biking. Plan is to camp in the truck as much as possible with a few hotel stays mixed in for showers/get away from smelly dogs.

Green Boot Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus, GA, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Alexander
Member #

Our tentative plan right now is to hit up Albuquerque and the area just north for some mountain biking, then up to Navajo Lake area for some fly fishing, then to Durango to just see the area and check it out, then SW Utah, then finally down to Sedona/Flagstaff for more mountain biking. Plan is to camp in the truck as much as possible with a few hotel stays mixed in for showers/get away from smelly dogs.
Sounds like an awesome time....I want to get back into mountain biking...haven't been in years!

F150Fanatic

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Ezell
Member #

@TNTaco, would be interested in your intel if you find yourself in the Durango area. I'm planning on being there mid to late April and it's difficult to track down places to camp. I'm definitely spending some time in Ouray checking out Yankee Boy Basin and Imogene Pass, weather permitting.

GoXplore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
David
Last Name
Yancy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DKY
@TNTaco, would be interested in your intel if you find yourself in the Durango area. I'm planning on being there mid to late April and it's difficult to track down places to camp. I'm definitely spending some time in Ouray checking out Yankee Boy Basin and Imogene Pass, weather permitting.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're going in April most of the mountain passes around Ouray will still be snowed closed. The road up to Camp Bird Mine should be passable as there's still an active operation up there, but most everything else above 10,000 feet will be closed until mid-Summer when enough snow melts that they can get up there and plow the trails off.

Really, your best odds of all passes and trails being open are the weeks between the first of July and the end of September. It's a crap-shoot outside of those.

F150Fanatic

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Ezell
Member #

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're going in April most of the mountain passes around Ouray will still be snowed closed. The road up to Camp Bird Mine should be passable as there's still an active operation up there, but most everything else above 10,000 feet will be closed until mid-Summer when enough snow melts that they can get up there and plow the trails off.

Really, your best odds of all passes and trails being open are the weeks between the first of July and the end of September. It's a crap-shoot outside of those.
I was afraid of that. I'll be heading back from a Death Valley trip, and thought I'd swing along southern Utah into Durango/Ouray area before heading home. Even if I can't get off road, it'll be a good drive and learning experience. Thanks bud!

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

Anyone hitting the trails between Christmas and new year?
I need to get out somewhere... I'd love to camp too but I'm not sure about my availability for that just yet. I'm game for just about anything except for the Dirt Devil since I have hit that a few times in the last couple months.

Reactions: Theo

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
We made it to the top of house mountain this afternoon, got here right at dark and are camping at the peak for the night. I drug the bike rack on a few of the drainage ditches, but other than that didn't really have any problems getting up. Super fun trail, till about the last 2 miles and all those baby head rocks just start getting annoying.View attachment 20181223181554_IMG_0774.JPG