Launch Member

Advocate III

Old Hickory, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

I think the plan is to start at south end and work the west side of the loop. We’ll probably plan another trip to do the east side next time. I hear it takes about 5 days for the total loop.
Yeah I could probably do a two day trip during the weekend sometime. I've heard awesome things about the DBBB.

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

Speaking of when colors start changing!

https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/

We're weeks away from peak fall foliage in Tennessee. I don't know about y'all, but I plan to be out camping in it as many weekends as I can!
Been looking through the Smoky Mountain campgrounds online, but it kind of looks like everything's already reserved for the weekends up until it gets more towards the winter.

Reactions: Dave_brez

bval

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

bval

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

So do you think it's safe to say that you can always find a dispersed campsite if you drive to a national forest?
I've yet to have a problem. If it's too crowded pick a forest road and keep driving until it ain't! Most Forest Rangers are also happy to recommend spots they know about. Usually worth stopping to ask.

Reactions: Cully74

bval

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

Cool! I've had this fear of driving a few hours to the mountains and not having a place to set up camp.
As long as you get a permit and pack in and pack out you're good for 14 days at a time. You can always call the Ranger station before you get in the car to double check. They will sometimes close parts of the forest for fires or winter weather. But you don't want to be there then anyway.

Reactions: Jose and Cully74

TN_Tacosupreme

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Springfield, TN
Member #

Cool! I've had this fear of driving a few hours to the mountains and not having a place to set up camp.
My wife and I are planning a trip there first weekend of October. Planning on doing Hurricane Creek to Max Patch. This will be her first Overlanding experience. Her one condition is she doesn’t wanna squat where the bears do so I needed to find a campground with bathrooms....baby steps. It was definitely harder than I thought but I did. I’d say if you get away from the touristy areas you shouldn’t have any problems finding camp. We had a group go this spring and it was a little challenging but we had to find room for 12 trucks. If you stay around the Cherokee or Pisgah Forrest area should be good.

Green Boot Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus, GA, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Alexander
Member #

My wife and I are planning a trip there first weekend of October. Planning on doing Hurricane Creek to Max Patch. This will be her first Overlanding experience. Her one condition is she doesn’t wanna squat where the bears do so I needed to find a campground with bathrooms....baby steps. It was definitely harder than I thought but I did. I’d say if you get away from the touristy areas you shouldn’t have any problems finding camp. We had a group go this spring and it was a little challenging but we had to find room for 12 trucks. If you stay around the Cherokee or Pisgah Forrest area should be good.
Any reports on that trip? Looking to do the same route during this Veteran's Day weekend coming up...

AreWeThereYet

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Hendersonville, TN
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
K
Looks like I'll be hitting the dirt devil around 10:30 or 11am tomorrow, I'm meeting up with another guy along the way, let me know if you want to go look at leaves with us.