Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Looks great, love the clean look of that rack. At first glance thought it said "So Prepared" lol! But I guess "Go" is ok also.

Good job doing your own work and solving problems

RKTJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Harford County, MD
Member #

HELLO! IM BACK!

Crazy last few weeks, sold my condo and the wife and I moved in to our new home! I own a lawnmower now! Anyways, our trip is coming up less then 2 weeks so it's now Wrenching days until then! I really can't wait to go on this country trip. ANYWHO I've been busy working on the Jeep, here is more progress.

OK so I wanted a shelf for the longest time and maybe some sort of drawer, well in the end I think I'll be happy with just the shelf. I got this off of Amazon for like $180. I unfortunately had to cut a section off because when I slid my cooler out I wouldn't have been able to open the lid lol.

shelfinstall.jpg

shelfcut.jpg

shelfcutting.jpg

shelffitsnow.jpg

So with that being done I started to work on the platform that my fridge slider will be bolted down on. I went with 1/2" plywood from Home Depot. Its just shy of 3'x3' piece. I added felt to it so it would look a little bit cleaner and my boxes would slide in and out better.

First Image is I had to get rid of the subwoofer that came in my JKU. It was nice but I honestly don't listen to the hippitty hop boom boom music lol:

speaker.jpg

Next I cut out a hole so I can now access the hidden storage in the back of my Jeep. Ill stack boxes and other things on one side, and the slider on the other. Probably will house my tow strap and recovery equipment:

woodplatform.jpg

Test fitting:

coolertestfit.jpg

testfit.jpg

So I used this glue to glue the felt to the wood. I also wrapped it around and stapled the underside for extra hold:
felt.jpg

These next few pictures show the fitting of it. I got it on the first shot!!!

anotherfit.jpg

bolteddown.jpg

storagehole.jpg

Now that the slider is bolted on the platform I can now start to get the shelf installed.

finishedslider.jpg

Here are the pictures of the shelf, as you can see, this is why I had to cut a section out. I couldn't get the shelf anymore back due to the FrontRunner Roof Rack mounts being in the way for the shelf mounts, and the cooler slider couldn't go back anymore due to the large awkward cooler that is Yeti:

cooleropenshelf.jpg

finaltrunk.jpg

shelfandcooler.jpg

BONUS! The UPS man dropped off one of the last packages for this build before my trip. I got my Kargo Master Hinge Steps in! FYI my Jeep was already getting rust on the hinge bolts as I discovered when taking them out...Guess it was better to do it now then later down the road lol:

hungesteps.jpg

hingesteps2.jpg

hingesteps3.jpg

So now the only things I need to do are:

Rear fog Lights
Shovel Mount set up
Weather proof my storage boxes for the roof
Figure out what exactly to bring

Reactions: Willys_2014

RKTJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Harford County, MD
Member #

So I wired up my backup flood lights. I made a crude mount for them, of course I made it before realizing they actually make a mount that looks 10x better lol. They work great! I was going to put them on the rack, but I want a specific gland for the roof which was not in stock at the time. My trip is nearing and I had to put these somewhere. Wiring took the longest, but I'm happy with them.

Backupfloods.jpg

BackofBackupfloods.jpg

Backupfloodsfinished.jpg

Now I just need to get my shovel mount on, and my gas can rotopax mount. I might try and make a DIY rooftop shower this week if I have time.

Willys_2014

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

AZ, USA
First Name
G
Last Name
B
Member #

Fantastic work on your Billet Silver Willys, but then again I am partial to Billet Silver Willys' myself

:)

DSCN1000~2.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: RKTJeep

RKTJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Harford County, MD
Member #

Thanks! I only got the color because it was one of the last JKU's they had on the lot. There was a color that was like a blue/grey that I wanted but it was bone stock. The silver definitely grows on ya, couldn't be happier!

Willys_2014

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

AZ, USA
First Name
G
Last Name
B
Member #

Thanks! I only got the color because it was one of the last JKU's they had on the lot. There was a color that was like a blue/grey that I wanted but it was bone stock. The silver definitely grows on ya, couldn't be happier!
Indeed, there are only a few JK colors I don't like. :)

It was quite the family decision when I ordered mine. Granite, Anvil and Silver were all contenders.

I love black too. But, as Clint Eastwood once said, a man has to know his limitations. Caring for a black vehicle is waaay beyond my abilities. :)

The only reason I ordered mine (first time ever, too) was because I wanted a MT.

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Great build, looking forward to following as you continue it. Looking for a shelf as well so I can store gear on and still sleep in the Jeep.

Last edited: