My Willy is going Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

RKTJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Harford County, MD
Member #

Alright! I got the Winch Cover! Wife got me one for my Birthday, and this is nice, it's a Bartact Cover. Also Brown Santa brought parts from California! Front Runner accessories are being put on in the spring time! Can't wait to get this stuff on.

winchcover.jpg

christmasFrontRunner.jpg

Reactions: Owasco and Jimmy P

RKTJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Harford County, MD
Member #

Alright an update finally!!! So I've been working a lot, and with my June-July trip coming up I decided to spend some more money lol. Still a little cold here in MD, and we are getting a lot of rain when the weather decides to break :\ Anyway, it didn't rain for once so I went outside and test fitted my new slider. As much as I want a fridge I can't justify the cost of one right now so I had to figure out what slider works best with a Yeti 65. I looked all over the internet trying to find the closest fit and found NOTHING. So I took a gamble, measure 20 times on the cooler, found the closest fitting slider online and it came in the other day. The Dometic CFX-50/65 CFX-SLD5065, Slide Mount is the closest/tightest thing that will work with a Yeti 65 Cooler. I wanted a sturdy slider and I think I found one with this. Now I had to push down on the cooler to get it to fit inside the walls of it, but it works. I don't want to move this cooler in and out of my Jeep at campsites risking injury to my back, this cooler can get HEAVY. With all that being said here is what I have:

As you can see below it fits with the seats up on the passenger side and gives me about 3 inches before it hits the tailgate:

coolerslider.jpg

coolerslider2.jpg

coolersliderroom.jpg

coolersliderseat.jpg

Now here is my dilemma. I don't want the cooler/slide on that side, I want it on the drivers side. I have a Front Runner foldable table I want to mount on the inside tailgate, and with the cooler there I won't be able to use the tailgate table and the cooler slide at the same time. I'm planning on getting a shelf to go above the cooler, so the slide needs to be used to get in the cooler. So I want this on the drivers side, Problem being a Jeep JK Tailgate has a hump on that end and I am unable to close the tailgate without hitting the cooler. The cooler can't go back more due to the seats. I can put down the seats and this wouldn't be an issue but then I lose my seats. Folding down the seats now isn't a big deal, but with future children on the wife mind it could be for future family trips, the wife won't let me put the kids on the roof.

Thoughts? Am I screwed? Has anyone have ideas? Should I just forget the shelf on top? Should I have bought a 4runner?

RKTJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Harford County, MD
Member #

Well, yesterday was a nice day out, around 65 degrees here in MD...which is odd for this area this time of year but whatever. I went out and installed my Front Runner Tailgate Table and took advantage of the nice day. Came with 4 screws, but I'm probably going to get 4 more to really get this on there. It seems sturdy with just the 4 screws but I like to over due things. I'm probably going to get a magnet as well to help keep this table closed when I shut the tailgate. If I slam the tailgate even a little hard it comes undone in the trunk, this kind of sucks but I'm not letting it get to me!

tailgatetable.jpg

gabe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

miami
Member #

Well, yesterday was a nice day out, around 65 degrees here in MD...which is odd for this area this time of year but whatever. I went out and installed my Front Runner Tailgate Table and took advantage of the nice day. Came with 4 screws, but I'm probably going to get 4 more to really get this on there. It seems sturdy with just the 4 screws but I like to over due things. I'm probably going to get a magnet as well to help keep this table closed when I shut the tailgate. If I slam the tailgate even a little hard it comes undone in the trunk, this kind of sucks but I'm not letting it get to me!

View attachment 84904
Very nice.

RKTJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Harford County, MD
Member #

ARB Compressor made it in. Need to now wait for a good day to install this! I had one of these in my old TJ, worked great. I'm not going to get any tires above 35's in the future so this will do me well, especially since this is my Daily Driver. Also if I ever want lockers it has that hookup ready. I also bought a digital tire gauge and air gun because why not? lol

Compressor.jpg

Reactions: BillyWilly

Owasco

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1336 Bellview HTS Locke NY
Member #

View attachment 84904
Nice! I have the same table, the tabs that hold it up can be adjusted. I just used a pair of pliers with a cloth and bent them just a bit to make a tighter fit.

Reactions: RKTJeep and gabe

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
How did you end up mounting the slide and fridge in the back of the Willys?

RKTJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Harford County, MD
Member #

How did you end up mounting the slide and fridge in the back of the Willys?
I Haven't gotten that far yet. I'm thinking of getting 1/2" ply wood and using that as a base. I'm going to cut out a hole so I can still access the hidden compartment in the floor area. Then I'll Carpet the base. A guy on YouTube TrailRecon just had a video on how to do this so i might go that route. I think I might just use boxes (plano or maybe FrontRunner) for now instead of a drawer system, but a sider for my cooler is a must.

RKTJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Harford County, MD
Member #

Looking good!! I have the same color! View attachment 85914View attachment 85915
Very rewarding doing all the work yourself. Keep up the good work!
Thanks! What hinge is that on your tailgate and do you like it? I want to keep the rear bumper stock and no swing out tire gate, been looking at HD hunger, just don't know which to go with. I'm only going to a 35" Tire in the future.

Reactions: gabe

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
I Haven't gotten that far yet. I'm thinking of getting 1/2" ply wood and using that as a base. I'm going to cut out a hole so I can still access the hidden compartment in the floor area. Then I'll Carpet the base. A guy on YouTube TrailRecon just had a video on how to do this so i might go that route. I think I might just use boxes (plano or maybe FrontRunner) for now instead of a drawer system, but a sider for my cooler is a must.
I am looking to go this route: https://www.goose-gear.com/collections/jeep-jku-2015-2018/products/jeep-jku-plate-system, but it's pricy but like the options I have to build off of it. I have a 2017 Willys with the sub in the floor and I like this set up very much

RKTJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Harford County, MD
Member #

Reactions: darjo242

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
I was looking at that as well. I love the clean look but its waaaaaaaaay too pricey. I'd rather just do my own thing lol. It's like $1400 for the floor and the sides....Yea no I'm good lol.
Yup. But I was just looking at doing the floor portion to use as a mounting point for a slide and tie down for boxes and stuff. Don't want to do the side cubbys as I am not entirely sold on the boxy Mercedes SUV look

BillyWilly

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fort Worth
First Name
Lance
Last Name
C
Member #

Thanks! What hinge is that on your tailgate and do you like it? I want to keep the rear bumper stock and no swing out tire gate, been looking at HD hunger, just don't know which to go with. I'm only going to a 35" Tire in the future.
It’s the mopar hinge carrier. It’s the same as the teraflex. Only difference between the two is that teraflex is etched on the hinge. I highly recommend it. Easy install. If you decide on a bigger tire on the stock wheel, be sure to buy a spacer for the wheel that goes on the carrier as well. Not enough offset to keep the tire off of the hinge unless you have it. I’ll try to attach some links from where I purchased.

BillyWilly

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fort Worth
First Name
Lance
Last Name
C
Member #

OEM MOPAR 2007-2016 JEEP WRANGLER JK OUTSIDE SPARE TIRE CARRIER CAST ALUMINUM TAILGATE HINGE SYSTEM 82214770
Teraflex 4838130 Adjustable Tire...
TeraFlex 1055005 JK HD Adjustable...
Hope this helps!