Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I know this is a common DYI project but I wanted a water filter in mine. Yes that means one more step when you assemble it but the taste of plastic water........sigh

Parts are simple but to make this work I cut up one of my spare Scepter water can lids. Because they use a weird thread I had to sacrifice the screw on cover for this. Most people are happy just setting theirs on the opening and poking the hose into the tank. I tried this first. and didn't like how it sat. Even though I wont drive with it on (on purpose) it will stay put without issue. I learned that from seeing one fall off. He got about half a mile. Fortunately it wasn't damaged.

1. Pump
2. Filter
3. 5 ft of 1/4 inch poly tubing
4. Scepter can lid. Just the screw on cap. Your going to drill it out to fit under the water pump
5. 1/2 plastic, threaded sprinkler fitting (optional)

Top two pictures you have it mounted to the can and the other is it laid out on the ground. The pump is screwed onto the cap then the filter is installed from underneath.

assembled.jpg assembled 2.jpg

Close up of the Scepter cap, drilled and fitted. Second picture shows the ground sprinkler fitting. I did that because it fits snug on the inside of the Scepter fitting and the ID fits snug to the pump when its screwed on. My thought was to be able to leave the filter in place and just install the pump without having to remove and reinstall the filter. So far it holds well. I need some more testing to see if it will stay or if I need to come up with another solution.

underside.jpg assembled 3.jpg

The flow rate didn't change with and without the filter and the water doesn't have that plastic water can taste.

On another note, I also filter my water through a garden hose filter when filling my water cans. This removes most all of the chemicals and debris. All it leaves me with is a plastic taste from the can.

Here's my garden hose filter.

garden hose filter.jpg

Last edited:

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I have the same setup but my Amazon pump broke after it got bashed around in my rear cargo area. I replaced it with another model which to my surprise did not fit snugly on top of my water can but also looks exactly like the Dometic powered spout. I am in the process of putting a magnetic base on it and it will look like a clone of the Dometic unit for under $20. I am also using the Sawyer filter but in reading the instructions it states that it will need to be periodically backwashed to clean out the filter. As such I will also be inlining that filter but zip tying it to he water can handle.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I am in the process of putting a magnetic base on it and it will look like a clone of the Dometic unit for under $20
The pump and filter will sit separate with the hose going inside?

I am also using the Sawyer filter but in reading the instructions it states that it will need to be periodically backwashed to clean out the filter.
That's why I filter the water going into the can. I have something similar in my drinking bottle. 3 years of tap water and never needed to flush it.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Ok went to their site. I really like that set up. It would be easy for me to do something like that and magnet it to my can carrier or set it on the table.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

The pump and filter will sit separate with the hose going inside?
I am planning on adding another shelf below my current rear cargo shelf that would be right above my fridge and the water can which would take away the vertical space above the can for the spigot to ride on top. I would then have a longer run of tubing running from the can to the magnet spigot which would allow me to place that above my tailgate table when in use.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Top photo is the $12 Amazon faucet I got and the bottom photo the Dometic faucet.

7F7D96AE-2D6B-4E37-80E3-613B3EB823A8.jpeg

91FDCA96-249A-4916-B7B6-6F607E1C507D.jpeg

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This is what a Forum is all about. You post an idea and find ways to make it better.
I'm never angry when someone show's me a better way to do things.

I'm going to change this water faucet build now.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My wife tells me all the time "Why don't you just leave it alone and stop trying to modify everything?" Sigh. Welcome to my world.

So

Inspired by @socal66, I modified a perfectly good pump into what I hope is better. What I did was, made the feed into the pump come out from the back instead of the bottom. I'm waiting on amazon to deliver my magnets. When they get here I will install them into the base creating a table top pump that will stick to my rear carrier or sit on my table. My filter will be inline near my pump, not in the tank.
Now all I do is open the small cap on the lid and drop the hose in.

Here's the mod.
New parts
1. 1/4 inch nylon 90 elbow
2. 1/4 nylon tube (optional)
3. Poly tube to fit elbow or nylon tube if you went that way.
4. Drill bit to match elbow (forgot what size but the barbs are real snug)
5. 3/8 drill for hole through back
6. Heat gun or BBQ lighter

First pull the screws and remove pump. I had two in base and two holding pump battery assembly. I drilled up most of the way from the bottom, stopping short so I didn't enlarge the hole in the top side. If I did the pump wont seal. If this happens, just epoxy the pump in.
Next I drilled from the back with the 3/8 and notched the inside lip so the elbow will push in. I had to trim most of the barbs off the elbow because it was too long.
Here's the trick to all this, Heat the barb end some to soften it. The barbs will form to the hole and seal real well. If not, a small bit of epoxy will do it.
Next I heated a piece of plastic tube and slid it over the other end. I wanted a short stub sticking out the back. I have a small box all this fits in. My soft ply hose fits tight on it. I will remove the hose to pack in the box. If you dont want this feature, push the soft tube through the hole and secure it with a zip tie.

Picture time.

90.jpg base 1.jpg base 2.jpg base 3.jpg

In order. Elbow. I ended up cutting it down to one barb. Drilled and cut base. Elbow inserted after heating. Nylon tube heated and pushed onto elbow.

flow.jpg finish.jpg

Flow test holding it up to put maximum strain on the pump. The camera froze the water flow. Its actually a solid stream. Finished and reassembled.
I managed to somehow plug my filter. I need to flush it out but the amount of restriction is minimal so I don't see any issues there.

I will update this when my magnets come in.

Last edited:

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I will update this when my magnets come in.
I still have to do all that stuff including securing the magnets. The 3” round magnets I have are a little smaller than the faucet diameter so they won’t snug in. I was thinking of using some of that sticky foam sealant in a can to adhere them hopefully securely to the unit. How were you planning to mount your magnets?

Jeepncj7

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Ha! Doing the same thing with the same facet from Amazon. Plan right now is a 3/4 plywood plate on the bottom (4 black screws though the side to secure and removable if needed) with a magnet. There is that little shelf on the inside lip I think will hold it well. I'll post up once I get to it. Didn't even think about a filter, I have that same one laying around already and might add it inline.

Top photo is the $12 Amazon faucet I got and the bottom photo the Dometic faucet.

View attachment 240033

View attachment 240034

Reactions: smritte

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

I have the same cheap Amazon faucet and I just sticky tape a magnet to the back of it so that I can clip it anywhere on the van or the truck bed so the kids can wash their hands

it’s nice it only dispenses 1000 mL before it turns off and the average usage is saying 45 to 50 gallons of water before you have to recharge it.

I’m running off of about 6 foot with a nylon tubing down in a 5 gallon Walmart square water jug

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
Uhhh. Got news for you. The Sawyer has no carbon element and therefore does nothing to change taste from the plastic container. The filter you are using to fill does have a carbon element and does margionally improve taste.

From the Sawyer website:

Does the Sawyer filter remove taste, chemicals and heavy metals from water?

The Sawyer filter removes taste that comes from bacteria, dirt, and green matter.ChemicalsThe Sawyer filter does NOT remove iron, sulfur, other chemicals, or simple compounds. Taste can be masked by using flavor additives like Gatorade or crystal light (filter needs to be cleaned immediately after using them).Heavy MetalsThe Sawyer filters are not made with charcoal. While other portable filters have charcoal, they lack in amount of media and adequate dwell time. Therefore, they only remove small amounts of heavy metals, pesticides, etc. (when used in real life applications). Try using better sources of water, if possible.

Source: Water Filtration FAQs

Reactions: Boort

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Uhhh. Got news for you. The Sawyer has no carbon element and therefore does nothing to change taste from the plastic container. The filter you are using to fill does have a carbon element and does margionally improve taste.

From the Sawyer website:

Does the Sawyer filter remove taste, chemicals and heavy metals from water?

The Sawyer filter removes taste that comes from bacteria, dirt, and green matter.ChemicalsThe Sawyer filter does NOT remove iron, sulfur, other chemicals, or simple compounds. Taste can be masked by using flavor additives like Gatorade or crystal light (filter needs to be cleaned immediately after using them).Heavy MetalsThe Sawyer filters are not made with charcoal. While other portable filters have charcoal, they lack in amount of media and adequate dwell time. Therefore, they only remove small amounts of heavy metals, pesticides, etc. (when used in real life applications). Try using better sources of water, if possible.

Source: Water Filtration FAQs
You are correct, I confused it with another one I have. I normally use carbon filters which are normally quite a bit larger in diameter. The sawyer filter uses small passages (forgot the name) which is why you can back flush them. They do not on the other hand change taste which is why I changed to my Nalgene system for personal.

Reactions: obchristo

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Maybe I'm a Luddite or someday some one will explain the fascination with electric stuff when camping.

I used a push-pull manual pump/faucet for my MWC can. In my blog;

Military Water Carrier, MWC, faucet
Ha ha. Seven years of full time and we just tipped the cans to fill water bottles. We have a bucket that holds 6 water bottles so that's the water we work from. We talk about adding a faucet every now and then but after making a basic method work for so long we haven't moved past just discussing it. We do carry a LifeSaver 20L that we would filter into the Scepters but in the States finding potable water is easy so we use it for rinsing if we need a shower, we cut an old filter to the neck to bypass it for that usage. We have friends that went from filling portable cans to an onboard system and they hate it. They now have to carry a long hose and assorted attachments etc since proximity to the water source isn't as easy all the time. Taking the cans to the source is much easier. They are in a LandCruiser so space is a premium and they overland full time.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Hmm
My Bad. I thought this was about cool do it yourself projects.
I know the comments were not done out of malice and it wont keep me from sharing but this is the exact reason I don't put these things out. Unlike most people, I can build most of my own things and yes, I have been "roughing it" for almost 50 years. Sometimes sleeping on a nice inflatable mat is nicer than leaves and dirt with a piece of cloth over it under a lean to made from branch's.
If something someone uses isn't for you, it doesn't mean others wont benefit from it.

Sometimes its just fun making things.

Jeepncj7

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I'm the tinkerer type along with having a toddler going out with us. So this kind of thing is great to me. With a kiddo, convenience is the key. Where I usually draw the line is when a ready made product is not much more $$ than what I am putting together along with the time.

Lots of us like this stuff, and these types of contributions are great, keep em coming.