My Quest for Tablet Navigation

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

In researching my options between BCN Pro and Gaia, what helps you decide on BCN Pro?
I had to pick one and flipped a coin?

Honestly, it was pretty much that, but I like the BCN ability to pick from different map sources and the ability to quickly import tracks from FunTreks (my go-to book for off road trails).

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Does
I had to pick one and flipped a coin?

Honestly, it was pretty much that, but I like the BCN ability to pick from different map sources and the ability to quickly import tracks from FunTreks (my go-to book for off road trails).
Does BCN have map layers like Gaia? Map layers is one of the most useful features IMO. I use a base map, say a National Forest motor vehicle map, and then add a shaded terrain elevation layer on top of that. Seeing forest routes with terrain/elevation works well .

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Does

Does BCN have map layers like Gaia? Map layers is one of the most useful features IMO. I use a base map, say a National Forest motor vehicle map, and then add a shaded terrain elevation layer on top of that. Seeing forest routes with terrain/elevation works well .
I believe it does. I've downloaded some MVUMs and imported them into BCN and they layer over the current layer I have. I'd have to play it with more, but I vaguely remember doing that a year or two ago.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Yes, there is a layer feature on BCN, but I have not played around with it very much. I am used to paper maps, so I typically run a single USGS layer.

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

My descent into the black hole of tablet navigation happened 3 years ago at west coast expo in flagstaff my son and i were touring the exhibitor booths and got tired of seeing so much stuff so we decided to go explore. There is lots of dirt roads there so we loaded up the jeep and dogs and off we went. He is a grand canyon guide, wilderness first responder and knows his way around topo maps i had just downloaded bcn on to my tab he topousa free version on his phone

His phone tracked us every where we did not have cell service . The topo was usgs 24k and he was able to zoom in in great detail i have yet to be ablie to duplicate that feat with any degree of success. I think he maybe hadbjust the flagstaff area loaded.
I think where it all falls apart is when you try to load large areas . I seem to be fixated on the 100,000 tile size ( that ilearned from the gaia site) limitations. And i am confused about another aspect. That is lets say your trail goes out of 1 of your down load areas (1 of your diwnloads) and into another.
Do you have to open the other file block of tiles that you had previously down loaded? Or will the program do it automatically?

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I pulled my Nexus 7 out of a box once i got my new truck and realized why I had it stored away. The darn thing moves like molasses in the Rockies during the winter. You go to push the open button and go get a cup of coffee and it is still loading.

The GPS dongle thingy you speak of. What on earth does it look like?

Granted 30 seconds to boot can try ones patients. GPS is embedded in the 7

My 16gb Nexus runs Giai and Back Country Nav like lightning.

The tablet and retail Giai Pro and BCN came in under $100.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retinens803

Bert Fox

Rank 0

Traveler I

NV, USA
I've been trying out the free version of Gaia GPS and so far I'm extremely underwhelmed. The program is so buggy and broken in very fundamental ways that there's no possible way I'd be willing to spend money on it. It's a shame, because the program would be outstanding if it actually worked worth a damn.

I'm intrigued by this backcountry navigator that's been mentioned. I'll check that out next.

So far I plan out routes on Gaia on my PC, and then navigate with it in car with my phone, Motorola moto Z play. It has a pretty huge screen for a phone, so it works fine for the time being. I may look into a tablet if I can find a nav program that works reliably, unlike Gaia.
I have the same phone, however I am trying to get my tablet nav up and running for the bigger screen and compatibility for both my UTV and my pickup. Partially because I have the 256gb micro sd card for all my offline maps. Awaiting the tablet to get started.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

My descent into the black hole of tablet navigation happened 3 years ago at west coast expo in flagstaff my son and i were touring the exhibitor booths and got tired of seeing so much stuff so we decided to go explore. There is lots of dirt roads there so we loaded up the jeep and dogs and off we went. He is a grand canyon guide, wilderness first responder and knows his way around topo maps i had just downloaded bcn on to my tab he topousa free version on his phone

His phone tracked us every where we did not have cell service . The topo was usgs 24k and he was able to zoom in in great detail i have yet to be ablie to duplicate that feat with any degree of success. I think he maybe hadbjust the flagstaff area loaded.
I think where it all falls apart is when you try to load large areas . I seem to be fixated on the 100,000 tile size ( that ilearned from the gaia site) limitations. And i am confused about another aspect. That is lets say your trail goes out of 1 of your down load areas (1 of your diwnloads) and into another.
Do you have to open the other file block of tiles that you had previously down loaded? Or will the program do it automatically?
It depends on how you download it on BCN. I download everything to the main cache and don't do separate folders. You could download into separate folders, and if you go from an area in one folder to an area in a different folder, you would need to select that folder to have the tiles show up. If you did that, the previous folder wouldn't show up any longer. However any tracks you've recorded would still show up (depending on what folder you have it saved to).

Because of the different folder situations, this is why I just download to the main cache.

Bam

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oregon City, OR
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Hensch
Member #

I have a Galaxy Tab S4. How can I use GAIA when my tablet isn't activated through cellular data? I use the app on my Galaxy S9+ all the time but have never done it without data before.

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

I've been trying out the free version of Gaia GPS and so far I'm extremely underwhelmed. The program is so buggy and broken in very fundamental ways that there's no possible way I'd be willing to spend money on it. It's a shame, because the program would be outstanding if it actually worked worth a damn.

I'm intrigued by this backcountry navigator that's been mentioned. I'll check that out next.

So far I plan out routes on Gaia on my PC, and then navigate with it in car with my phone, Motorola moto Z play. It has a pretty huge screen for a phone, so it works fine for the time being. I may look into a tablet if I can find a nav program that works reliably, unlike Gaia.
Maybe I'm not pushing it to its limits, maybe it works better with east coast maps/cell coverage, or maybe it's different with free vs. subscriber, but I haven't had any problems I can think of - what did you experience?

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Maybe I'm not pushing it to its limits, maybe it works better with east coast maps/cell coverage, or maybe it's different with free vs. subscriber, but I haven't had any problems I can think of - what did you experience?
Massive fundamental issues. Won't load properly at all on Firefox, major functionality issues on Google Chrome, ie. routes not saving, tracks not saving from mobile, unable to save waypoints, data loss, etc. etc. A lot of serious issues that make me run from the idea of paying a dime for the program. I like to plan routes on the desktop and save them, then use them for exploring, but the system is so broken it's almost useless.

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

Massive fundamental issues. Won't load properly at all on Firefox, major functionality issues on Google Chrome, ie. routes not saving, tracks not saving from mobile, unable to save waypoints, data loss, etc. etc. A lot of serious issues that make me run from the idea of paying a dime for the program. I like to plan routes on the desktop and save them, then use them for exploring, but the system is so broken it's almost useless.
Didn't try with FF - pretty much exclusively use Chrome (on android and on Windoze), but I've never had those issues, and have been using Gaia since August. I plan mine on the desktop using the web site, download with my phone.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Didn't try with FF - pretty much exclusively use Chrome (on android and on Windoze), but I've never had those issues, and have been using Gaia since August. I plan mine on the desktop using the web site, download with my phone.
Very strange. I use Chrome now for it, but I still have tons of bugs and issues with it, also with the android platform.

Retinens803

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
CJC
Last Name
CJC
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BMJ
Very strange. I use Chrome now for it, but I still have tons of bugs and issues with it, also with the android platform.
I signed up for the free version last night and the map never once loaded fluidly, it was very choppy. Haven’t tried since and I was using Chrome.

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

Does anybody know if Amazon fire HD 10 will work for Gaia? HSN has a good deal on them right now $79.00 includes 32gb mini SD with Adapter and a coupon for a custom case.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Does anybody know if Amazon fire HD 10 will work for Gaia? HSN has a good deal on them right now $79.00 includes 32gb mini SD with Adapter and a coupon for a custom case.
It will not, the app is not in the Amazon app store, unless you know how to jail break it, the app will not download to any of the Fire tablets.

Reactions: Ironhide

chinsH3

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Cain
Member #

Service Branch
Army
THis may help as I was in the same boat. Couple youtube videos and its all good. I have a Amazon Fire HD 8 I believe (I will check when I get home). I have not purchased a Dual GPS unit yet. But there is a away to convert the Amazon Fire to allow for the Android Based Google Play store. You have to use Amazons Silk browser to do it. Then through the Google Play store you can download and use the Gaia App. I have it loaded on my Amazon tablet as we speak. Just search "how to add google play to Amazon Fire". Took me one evening to get it

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’ve used GAIA for a couple years and really like it, I also use Caltopo/SARtopo. Garmin Navigator as a back up

I used both for my 5700 mile Labrador/New Foundland/Nova Scotia expedition last fall and they worked flawlessly. I use an IPad Pro 12.9 cellular equipped but no cell service(so I have the GPS). As long as you remember to download the maps I’ve never had a problem. Tracking was great and I could easily enter and manage my waypoints.

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

THis may help as I was in the same boat. Couple youtube videos and its all good. I have a Amazon Fire HD 8 I believe (I will check when I get home). I have not purchased a Dual GPS unit yet. But there is a away to convert the Amazon Fire to allow for the Android Based Google Play store. You have to use Amazons Silk browser to do it. Then through the Google Play store you can download and use the Gaia App. I have it loaded on my Amazon tablet as we speak. Just search "how to add google play to Amazon Fire". Took me one evening to get it
Thank you for the information! That's what I love about our community we all have knowledge that we can help others with.