AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I'll be "that guy". Get an iPad. The 2018 128GB model is $379 right now on Amazon. Yes, you will need to add an external GPS but that will give you a reliable setup that will last for years. My 4.5 year old iPad runs Gaia GPS just fine. You can also look for deals at, iPads & Tablets and E-Readers | B&H Photo Video

I have never had the same success with any Android device. Especially if you are not able to update the operating system after a few years.

I have a nice Android LG Phone that I use for international travel with Google FI phone service. While it is a good device it does not motivate me to switch to an Android tablet. If you stick with Android then a name brand like Samsung would be a good choice.

Large internal storage is always going to function better than SD cards. While some apps work great when moved to an SD card on Android many others have issues.

What app you choose is total personal preference. I have been using Gaia GPS for 5 years with no plans on switching but always evaluate new products as they come out. Gaia support is very good if you take the time to reach out to them.

Good luck with your quest.

Slopitch

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Helena, AL
Member #

10" Samsung tab A running Gaia premium. Everyone usually just recommends what they run.

Thanks V_Man. If you want better range if you are outside wifi, do you need to have 3G, 4G service through a provider like Verizon or ATT? I have a cell phone so I don't necessarily need another phone...?

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Thanks V_Man. If you want better range if you are outside wifi, do you need to have 3G, 4G service through a provider like Verizon or ATT? I have a cell phone so I don't necessarily need another phone...?
not sure I understand the question. Are you talking about running Gaia out in the field? You're not using any wireless service when you're running Gaia out in the field...

Slopitch

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Helena, AL
Member #

not sure I understand the question. Are you talking about running Gaia out in the field? You're not using any wireless service when you're running Gaia out in the field...
Thanks for your response.
Well, I want to get a tablet that will be able to run Gaia. If I just buy a wifi tablet like the Galaxy Tab A, will it work in the mountains or does it require cell towers sending out 4G? I know I don't understand the basics of cell service vs internet signals. I guess in a way I wonder if you have to get a cellular service provider with any tablet that will run Gaia.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Well, I want to get a tablet that will be able to run Gaia. If I just buy a wifi tablet like the Galaxy Tab A, will it work in the mountains or does it require cell towers sending out 4G? I know I don't understand the basics of cell service vs internet signals. I guess in a way I wonder if you have to get a cellular service provider with any tablet that will run Gaia.
Tablet 101 and Any App 101:
If you do not download the maps you need prior to going out into the field you will need a data connection in order to keep downloading map areas. This could be with a tablet with 3G/LTE (whatever) or with a wifi only tablet connected to your mobile phone hotspot. Of course if your mobile phone has no service then you won't be able to download maps. SOLUTION: Download all of your maps ahead of time.

Wifi Only Tablet and GPS signal:
Most Android tablets have a GPS chip in them. Even if they are wifi only

iPad WiFi only you need an external Bluetooth GPS (Dual GPS, InReach, Pick a brand)

iPads with 3G/LTE DO NOT need a current plan in order for the GPS chip inside them to work.

For Gaia GPS you Do Not need a cellular service if you pre-download maps (yes I am repeating myself)

For Gaia GPS and any other map app you do need a GPS signal to see where you are on map. It doesn't matter if you are using Google Maps, Apple Maps, BCN, GAIA.... no GPS signal no location.

You have to seperate the requirement for a GPS signal with having access to maps. They are 2 different things. I could download the entire state of AZ in GAIA GPS but if my wifi only iPad isn't connected to a bluetooth GPS it won't know where I am in the world.

A Samsung Galaxy Tab should have a GPS chip.

If all of this is still too confusing hit YouTube or other threads there are lots of explanations on this topics.

Reactions: Pip and Slopitch

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
You download/cache GAIA maps when you have wifi. Then when you get out in the field, your tablet's GPS will position you on the Gaia maps you previously downloaded. This is why choosing a tablet that has GPS is crucial.

Reactions: Slopitch

Slopitch

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Helena, AL
Member #

Tablet 101 and Any App 101:
If you do not download the maps you need prior to going out into the field you will need a data connection in order to keep downloading map areas. This could be with a tablet with 3G/LTE (whatever) or with a wifi only tablet connected to your mobile phone hotspot. Of course if your mobile phone has no service then you won't be able to download maps. SOLUTION: Download all of your maps ahead of time.

Wifi Only Tablet and GPS signal:
Most Android tablets have a GPS chip in them. Even if they are wifi only

iPad WiFi only you need an external Bluetooth GPS (Dual GPS, InReach, Pick a brand)

iPads with 3G/LTE DO NOT need a current plan in order for the GPS chip inside them to work.

For Gaia GPS you Do Not need a cellular service if you pre-download maps (yes I am repeating myself)

For Gaia GPS and any other map app you do need a GPS signal to see where you are on map. It doesn't matter if you are using Google Maps, Apple Maps, BCN, GAIA.... no GPS signal no location.

You have to seperate the requirement for a GPS signal with having access to maps. They are 2 different things. I could download the entire state of AZ in GAIA GPS but if my wifi only iPad isn't connected to a bluetooth GPS it won't know where I am in the world.

A Samsung Galaxy Tab should have a GPS chip.

If all of this is still too confusing hit YouTube or other threads there are lots of explanations on this topics.
Thank you 1Louder, you have given me good and useful information.
You download/cache GAIA maps when you have wifi. Then when you get out in the field, your tablet's GPS will position you on the Gaia maps you previously downloaded. This is why choosing a tablet that has GPS is crucial.
Thanks v_man, I am beginning to understand.

Tres

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

Update on my quest for tablet navigation with Android OS.

My assumption that any android tablet could be used is wrong. My niece had purchased a brand new Amazon Fire HD tab for her daughter. For some reason, it didn't fit the bill for her daughter's needs. I thought it would work for me. It had a 64gb memory and a 256gb micro sd card slot for holding all of my offline maps. I have already written about gps capabilities. The Fire does not have a gps chip. It determines location via your wifi router. I solved that by adding the dual gps receiver puck that connected with gps satellites and bluetoothing that to my tablet. However, in an effort to download the two most popular offroad navigation apps to my tablet, neither Gaia or Backcountry Navigator would recognize the Amazon Fire HD tablets. I inquired of their tech support and was told that their system would not recognize them. They recommended I use a Samsung tablet. The Samsung is widely accepted because they use the most accurate gps chip and because they always use a micro sd card slot. When I asked if they have a decent gps chip, why did I want to still use the dual gps receiver puck? The answer was that the gps chip in the Samsung tablet consumes a lot of power. If I receive the signal through my puck and bluetooth it to the tablet it is a much stronger and accurate signal and saves my tab battery.

Now I am trying to find the right Samsung tablet and I have decided that if I use it in my truck and my SxS, that a 10" screen seems pretty big. BTW, I did buy a Samsung Tab S and awaiting its arrival so I can commence the downloading the nav software.
So, it's a work in progress. My mounts are here and I have offers on ebay for a tablet.
My current question is as of 2019, which android app is best for way out there off the grid and no cell signal navigation? Which has the most current maps. I primarily need NV, UT, and ID maps. I am operating a UTV and need to see my routes while driving.
I have read many reports that recommend this tablet or that tablet. Nexus 7 comes to mind. They seem to only be effective in city driving. I really need the sd card slot to hold all my maps. I appreciate any input.
I bought an Asus ZenPad 8 Android tablet on amazon. It was cheap (around $125), has an sd card slot and good internal storage, and it has a gps chip, Seems to work for me. I bought the 8" adjustable ram mount and have it centered on windshield just above my dash.

Reactions: Slopitch