Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Good question. It looks like you bought them outside of the lift kit. I imagine they're spec'ed for the lift (you will be running) and the weight of the rig?

-TJ
If not then I'd recommend having them tuned before you install them.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

The place I got them from said they were meant for JKs with 0 to 2" lifts. The teraflex lift kit (waiting) is 1.5".

So hopefully they wont need any tuning.

How would one tune a shock anyways? I have never done so.

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

The place I got them from said they were meant for JKs with 0 to 2" lifts. The teraflex lift kit (waiting) is 1.5".

So hopefully they wont need any tuning.

How would one tune a shock anyways? I have never done so.
Tuning is specific to your exact vehicle and driving. I.e. a stock JK that only runs fast in the desert will need a different tune than a loaded down overland-speced JK that likes slower speed rock crawling like Brad from Trail Recon. A lot of OEM tunes are designed to work ok for the majority of drivers but some tunes are way too soft or way too stiff. It wouodn't hurt to call someone like Accutune for Downsouth Motorsports to get a 2nd opinion. They work with Jeeps and Fox a lot so they will tell you whether a tune is worth it for your needs or if the oem tune is good enough and you can wait to rebuild the shocks then tune. When you buy from dealers like them, a tune is included in the purchase price. I think Filthy Motorsports works the same way.

Tuning involves changing up the valving by adding or removing plates and increasing or decreasing oil flow through plates. These videos can help you better understand why different shocks work the way they do.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Tuning is specific to your exact vehicle and driving. I.e. a stock JK that only runs fast in the desert will need a different tune than a loaded down overland-speced JK that likes slower speed rock crawling like Brad from Trail Recon. A lot of OEM tunes are designed to work ok for the majority of drivers but some tunes are way too soft or way too stiff. It wouodn't hurt to call someone like Accutune for Downsouth Motorsports to get a 2nd opinion. They work with Jeeps and Fox a lot so they will tell you whether a tune is worth it for your needs or if the oem tune is good enough and you can wait to rebuild the shocks then tune. When you buy from dealers like them, a tune is included in the purchase price. I think Filthy Motorsports works the same way.

Tuning involves changing up the valving by adding or removing plates and increasing or decreasing oil flow through plates. These videos can help you better understand why different shocks work the way they do.

Good vids and explanation. I do so much other off road stuff with SxSs, sand rails etc. and did auto racing before that, it's easy for me to forget the concept of shock tuning isn't something everyone is familiar with. On my WJ build I've going with triple bypasses, which provide even more tuning - and tuning you can do yourself in the field. Yes, the valving inside can also be tuned, as shown in the vids you provided. But you also have the 3 bypass tubes to easily adjust different zones. I could try to write-up how that all works, but instead... a vid:

Jump to ~7:30 for the bypass stuff.

-TJ

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Wow it's been 4 years, I just figured out how I can find threads started by me haha!

My JK was going great, going on 7 years, nothing major other than an alternator that I ruined and a fuel pump going bad, all under lifetime warranty, surprised they installed a new alternator as I caked it with mud and water.
Then one fateful Friday the 13th, I get rear ended on the freeway. Older gentleman nodded off (his testimony) and hit my stationary jeep at 30 to 40 mph (forgot what was listed in the report), there was heavy traffic and a merge.
Luckily my jeep absorbed all the impact at the spare and rear bumper. It shoved my axle fowards slightly on right side and cargo tub was bent and paint cracked at the seams. Airbag didn't go off, but didn't feel like it needed to, I didn't hit my steering wheel.
So amazing, that impact from a Silverado 1500 would of crushed a lesser vehicle for sure!
20230113_132418.jpg
IMG_20230113_121851_01.jpg

So, I got a check from insurance and proceeded to look for another jeep.

I came across a newer green wrangler, the color was stunning. Drove down to San Diego to look at it and drive it. Fell in love immediately, cars just speak to you. I test drove about 4 or 5 JKs and JLs prior.
Turns out this one is a diesel, 3.0 turbo.
Sold.
20230207_164813.jpg
They did a fine job cleaning, down to the engine bay, it looked absolutely new, ceramic coating. Previous owner barely drove it and installed a lot of nice aftermarket parts.
Roof rack, tailgate table, midland gmrs, matching sarge green dash instead of the red, front trail camera, hardtop liner, weathertech mats, cargo rails, tailgate reinforcement, and had all the factory options available.

I've had it for 1 year now.

Reactions: Dougnuts

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Some pictures from around the last time I posted 4 years ago.
Big bear, CA
Screenshot_20220815-125348_Instagram.jpg
Anza borrego
Screenshot_20220816-201222_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20220824-171558_Instagram.jpg
Ecoflow delta 2 (220 watt solar panel) and jackery 500 (100 watt solar panel)
20220923_130804.jpg
Times I've gotten stuck
This one out of nowhere. Was driving on some grass in some canyon, suddenly my jeep just drops all the way to the frame. Took 5 or 6 vehicles to pull me out. Had to wait several hours as i found a facebook group called SCOR (Socal offroad recovery).
Screenshot_20221213_150937_Instagram.jpg
This one was near a mine canyon, high centered. Friend roped me out.
Screenshot_20221122_110240_Instagram.jpg
This happened in Big Bear, was doing fine until it just dropped onto the frame. Waited hours for someone to drive by and rope me out.
Screenshot_20231020_134727_Instagram.jpg

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Starting of the JL build.

Dual color and flashing light bar. Auxbeam.
Works well, but isn't the brightest light.
20230216_150418.jpg
Survived snowmageddon.
20230226_104844.jpg
20230226_100221.jpg
New tires!
Mickey Thompsons Baja Legend EXP 37x12.5x17
These are excellent tires. Do great on most terrain except deep slushy snow, but nearly all tires do bad up here in that condition. Also hard-core rock crawling isn't ideal for the load D tires, but have done some without ripping the lugs off.
Also a 70 lb tire, average 37 rall and 12.5 wide tires are 80 to 85 lbs in comparison. So they are very comfy on road and offroad.
20230315_114722.jpg
Suspension got suspended because of rough road conditions (I live at 7000') and tires went on before the lift. Lots of rubbing.
20230320_135437.jpg
Anza Borrego. Lift was installed.
Metalcloak Game Changer with 8 control arms, track bars, sway links, and driveshaft for the front.
Incredible suspension, I will get thedr again without hesitation.
Very smooth on road with tires at 28 psi.
And what surprised me was that I was able to do speed runs in the desert with rocks fist size to boulders. Obviously avoiding the boulders.
I was running with a 23 Tacoma on King coilovers and triple bypass shocks, and a Bronco Raptor on 37s (twin turbo). My previous JK would of never done that without disintegrating.
20230425_160116.jpg
20230527_135643.jpg
300 watts of solar. Enough to run my fridge, heated blanket, and heart pump batteries for days on end as long as I have sun.
IMG-20230427-WA0017.jpg
Auxbeam dual light bar.
20231126_163541.jpg
20231126_163501.jpg
Smashed my roofrack on a hidden tree limb behind tall bushes, so got a Rival bolt on roofrack. Very slim modular rack, with options to drill into hardtop for rooftop tent application. Planning to add light pods at the rear and sides, under the rack using the channels.
20231217_150455.jpg
Had Xmas lights wrapped around it. Birds eye view.
20231227_162133.jpg
Got different lights for my bumper.

Attachments

• Love

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Morimoto BigBangers. Amber NCB.
Nilight amber for rear of roofrack, will get another set for side of rack.
20231220_185755.jpg
They are incredibly bright! Brightest lux and best heat fade, tested by a company on a youtube channel.
20240116_144131.jpg
Morimoto 4Banger HXB (I think). Very bright. Very nice color as well, nearly the same as stock LED headlights.
1000021255.jpg
Wife got me a window mount and rotopax for xmas.
1000020105.jpg
Joshua tree. Doggies love smelling new places.
1000022081.jpg
North Joshua tree, had a few buddies on a cool camping trip.
1000021175.jpg
Smiles
1000021455.jpg
Bronco Raptor. IKamper RTT, tons of Baja Desing lightd. 37x13.5x17 nittos, lots of overland gear.
Tacoma. King coilover with triple bypass, front and rear ARB lockers, bed rack, RTT and also a ton of Baja Design lights.
4runner, nearly stock. Has a warn winch and 33s, forget which tires.
Completly stock bronco.
1000021178.jpg
Some fun in the snow.
1000021461.jpg
Yesterday I had Metalcloak tie rod and drag link installed, and aligned them today. They got rid of the sloppy center steering, and a slightly more firm feel. Wide angle picture made the tire look broken.
1000022254.jpg

We are doing a trip in about a week, my buddy with the Tacoma us doing a fundraiser for a children's hospital, and giving away prizes as well.

My wife has never seen much of California, recently moving here from Peru.
My plan is to take her to Sequoia National Park, Yosemite, and Red Wood Forest, maybe about 10 days.
Also want to show her Sedona, AZ.

Also saving for a Yellowstone National Park adventure, hopefully the gang can come too.

Future mods are probably going to be reinforcements to the axle. Axle shafts, steel knuckles, C gusset, axle truss, and ball joints.

Soon to be mods, as I have the parts, are spare relocation, 3rd brake lights that go behind the spare, amber leds under the roofrack, new containers for camp gear, and add eye ring bolts to the roofrack.

Soon, I'll take pictures of all my current overland gear. The jeep needs a deep clean anyways.