Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

My jeep is pretty much stock, other than the wheel spacer and slightly larger tires (285 70 17).

20191128_134510.jpg

Got her in 2016, and did some offroading with some friends and also solo.

I am about to order a roof rack basket, along with some rotopax fuel cans, two 2 gallon and mount them to the roof rack.

I keep a tow strap, some tools, and a vivair compressor under the rear seats.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I live in southern ca so there isnt too much forest to overland other than a few mountains here and there.
Most of the open space is desert.

Could a winch be useful in the desert with no trees large enough for a recovery?

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I live in southern ca so there isnt too much forest to overland other than a few mountains here and there.
Most of the open space is desert.

Could a winch be useful in the desert with no trees large enough for a recovery?
Yes look into winch anchors or sometimes you can burry a tire in sand to give you an anchor point

Reactions: Outdoordog

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Not exactly sure where I will mount the rotopax fuelcans. The mount itself is pretty small, so it can only mount to 1 of the bars.

ElGuapoJeep

Rank 0

Contributor I

PA
First Name
Michael
Very cool! What kind of brand basket did you buy? I just mounted a RhinoRack and was a little hesitant to drill through my hardtop but it went well. I'll definitely be following to see how your build goes.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Are those KM3s? Build is off to a good start.
Yes the 285 70 17 bfg km3. Heavy tire, but it is fantastic offroad, even in icy and snowy conditions.

Went up the mountain last year, had snow chains in case. Found some frozen roads to test the tires, they did very well. Did some abrubpt stopping and acceleration, and they did far better than I thought they would.

They are regarded as the quietest mud tire on the highway or road.
Same noise level as when I had all terrain tires.

Reactions: toxicity_27

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Yes the 285 70 17 bfg km3. Heavy tire, but it is fantastic offroad, even in icy and snowy conditions.

Went up the mountain last year, had snow chains in case. Found some frozen roads to test the tires, they did very well. Did some abrubpt stopping and acceleration, and they did far better than I thought they would.

They are regarded as the quietest mud tire on the highway or road.
Same noise level as when I had all terrain tires.
I had KMs factory on my JKU and they were terrible in the snow/ice/rain even. I now have KO2s so that's good to know about the KM3s. They look really good too which doesn't hurt!

Reactions: Outdoordog

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

So far, I really love the km3s. I will most likely get another pair when these wear out.

Today I replaced some bulbs, the fogs and turn signals to led bulbs. Much brighter. Hope they hold up the abuse I will give it.

20200114_143412.jpg

Installed the rotopax finally, the mount took forever to ship.

15790422230528480651456638904942.jpg

Next will be the lift kit, teraflex 1.5 or 2.5 (havent decided yet), and some fox shocks.

I need to do more research since I am not sure if I will need additional parts for the lift kit, I'm not too knowledgable in that regard.