Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

You will like that flywheel. My adapter uses a 4.0 jeep clutch and flywheel and I am using the 43lbs centerforce unit. Its not cheap but made the smooth drive with the stock 27lbs wheel even smoother with the 43lbs.
Motohead1,
Thank you for all your information! My guess when the Jeep transmission comes out of the Jeep is just as you supposed on the runout. The Mercedes Benz motor has an adapter to use the Jeep 4.L flywheel. Basically everything behind the adapter is Jeep Cherokee. I see there are two different throughout bearings, and my guess is the smaller of the Two was used. With the wear of use, the pressure plate is not engaging, so cannot shift in or out of gear? Does me description make sense? Hope I can find a shop or a place to work the Jeep myself, and find out the problem soon. Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

So, the other day I picked up these tires at the local junkyard. 32 x 10.5 x 15. Set of 4 for $300. Will work for a while to test the size before I buy brand new tires! Guess I will keep this post updated better, as I have some repairs and new parts to add and have my Jeep Cherokee on the road again soon! Benz.

DA210C8C-1469-4A58-A542-671376E9F5E7.jpeg

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Did receive the clutch kit from Rockauto. I bought the heavy duty clutch kit. The pressure plate has a little more clamping pressure than the regular. With the hydraulic clutch, peddle pressure should not be an issue on longer drives! Benz.
4FD3695F-3E71-4EFD-B378-769D7D812657.jpeg

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Here is a picture for the record, of the high inertia flywheel, I bought this winter! The stock flywheel is like 16 lbs. and this flywheel is 40 lbs. Benz.
1D45F212-2EBE-43C9-8CE1-FB0AE2768039.jpeg

Reactions: Motohead1

Greg Galbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

How does that Mercedes Diesel feel in comparison to the 4.0L? I'm assuming far greater torque than the claimed 225 from the 4.0.. but on the streets or highway how does it compare? Love the build from a fellow XJ owner!

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

How does that Mercedes Diesel feel in comparison to the 4.0L? I'm assuming far greater torque than the claimed 225 from the 4.0.. but on the streets or highway how does it compare? Love the build from a fellow XJ owner!
Hello Greg Galbo,
It drove nice, but the gearing was way off. I have all new gears in but have not had a chance to really check out how the XJ runs with the new gearing. The clutch went out on the test run and still waiting to be able to drive it!I will let you know soon I hope! Benz.

Greg Galbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

Hello Greg Galbo,
It drove nice, but the gearing was way off. I have all new gears in but have not had a chance to really check out how the XJ runs with the new gearing. The clutch went out on the test run and still waiting to be able to drive it!I will let you know soon I hope! Benz.
Oh I see! Well I hope you get her running soon!

Greg Galbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

Hello Greg Galbo,

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I think the Cherokee had the stock 307 gears. I now have 4.10s, hoping my 32” tires fit with my 3” lift, as I think the gearing should be about right? Also, I have the manual 5 speed trans. Another test will be the high inertia flywheel . I had the stock 6 cylinder flywheel before, this new one going in weighs in about 40 lbs. Should crawl with the best of them! I had over 35 miles per gallon before the new gears, it is a all a test but hope the combo works out all right? Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Sorry to just be getting back to answer your question. I put the wrong gears in at 4.10. Should of gone with 4.88. With 235/75/15 tires the Cherokee feels like a 2.5L 4 cylinder,on the road, tell I put it into 4 Low. Then it pulls like a tractor and just keep pulling anything as long as I have traction! The plan was to run at least 31”s with my 3” lift and stock wheels. Live and learn. Don’t have the money to change out the gears, as they are new. Along with the new tires too! Benz.
6979AD99-BD5A-4003-ACAE-2E85103FC886.jpeg 84595750-76F1-4146-AA55-346E0E24A8DE.jpeg 5AC62A69-263F-4241-B26C-4C18CBD7CBA2.jpeg

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Just took out all the back seat seat belts! That was no fun with the bolts that hold the belts to the floor! Now looking at how I want to build my sleeping platform. Want to keep it as low as possible, with my design. Also, want to be able to flip up the part where the back seat was, and mount my Circuit breakers for my onboard 12 V system. Having everything easy to SEE and get at will be a plus with my old eyes! Benz.
662D9507-BC71-4F65-ADB1-4C3AE46EB3A4.jpeg

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Well not much done to the”Red Baron” lately. The gears definitely need to be changed out to 4.88s! I can drive with the 4.10s but on the floor with the Excelerator all the time! So, as soon as I can come up the funds the regear will be done! Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

And you thought I gave up on my build! The Jeep Cherokee ( Red Baron) is getting new 4.88 gears as we speak. Will post the difference and what wheel and tire combo/size, I end up using. Drive home on 29”s and hope to have Spidertrax wheel spacers to go from 5x4.5 to 5x 5.5. Then use my 265/ 70/17s. off the JK. Benz.
FCBCB212-59BC-4C09-92BA-DE3CF15B0A03.jpeg 607992CA-9E47-444A-927C-D05E9B503162.jpeg

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Yesterday and today I have been getting the new gears put in to the 95’ Jeep Cherokee Sport. What a big difference 4:10 to 4:88s gears make. Nitro Gears, JTs in Cashmere, WA. So far, really happy! The diesel motor is working right where it needs to be. 235/75/15s are useable for now. Fun how frisky the Jeep feels again. 31 x 9.5- 10.5 x 15s would be good too. Would think about even 255/70/17s, Stock tires BFG’s. Some would for sure go on nicely right now. Money wise, stay with the 235s I have for now. Benz.

Reactions: Motohead1

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Out driving a round today, and again, love the driving difference the gears make. Helps to I go out side my door, climb in and use 4 wheel drive from there and drive for miles on dirt and gravel roads. I will miss living up here. Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hello,
Well more to add on my build today! After driving and Four wheeling with the new gears, I went out today and bought new tires! 31 x 10.5 x 15s BFG KM3. Driving home and climbing my hill the gears and tires seem to put the power band rpm at the right levels for my diesel motor. Real happy with everything and the way it is running. To bad it took me Two sets of gears and Nine tires to get things right, but now it is. Also, brought home the lower control arm lowering brackets home to change out next. Then will be done, for a while on the Red Baron! Well as much as you are ever done! Benz.
4C777C15-5212-4B5E-ACC1-32348A72ABAE.jpeg 0B578158-F8BC-4ADE-92B5-F5A1979A5CE2.jpeg

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Still more to come! A Jeep build is never really done! It just keeps evolving into something different! Hopefully getting a new ARB front deluxe Bull bar bumper. Next some good off-road lighting. Had fuel problems the last time I drove it. My guess the fuel pump in the tank. So, have a band new Bosh external pre- fuel pump to put on. Then, some simple storage plans for the interior of the Jeep, leaving room to sleep. Don’t want to do a raised platform, wanting to have room for my wife, and I both to sleep but also sit up without having to think about hitting my head on the roof top! Vance.

Reactions: Aussie571

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I'm impressed with the way you did your cold air intake. I am trying to figure out how to do mine, I lucked out and bought a spectra-cold air intake, but from what I have read about it. The air filter is not sufficient in filtering the dust from intering the intake. How you did your has givin me a few ideas. I sure would like to use the airbox area for a compressor or a second battery.