Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

IMG_0534.JPG Wanted to share some more of my build. Hope this might help someone?
I was blessed to find my rust free (Texas) Jeep Cherokee. The OP. did a great job on the engine swap. I also was glad to find an XJ with manual transmission, as I still enjoy the control over my rig and going through the gears! The XJ had stock size tires and wheels, and stock 3.07 gears. It was dive able but under powered. The XJ also came with off road front and rear bumpers, with a winch up front. The rack on top already was a nice touch too. In the before picture, you see what looks like a snorkel? That is my exhaust pipe! Up out of the way, so you don't start a fire going through dry grass and the like.

Now for some of the upgrades I have done and had done. I bought some nice Black leather seats out of a 99' Grand Cherokee. Also, a Ford 8.8 rear axle with disk brakes, out of a 96' Ford Explorer. I paid $350. for these parts. The next day I took and installed the Leather seats. What a big difference in looks and comfort! I had some trucks that I had been saving to build up some day. Sold them and used the money for some more upgrades to the XJ. A local shop in Wenatchee, WA. did some great work for me. They (the shop) took the Ford 8.8 rear axle and rebuilt it with new 4.10 gears, Yukon chromoly 4340 axle shaft with the c-clip illuminator kit, and an Ox air locker differential,new forged spicer yoke, to hook up the drive shaft, like new JK Jeep shocks, new brake lines, brake rotors, pads and more. Then the shop moved to the front axle and did more upgrades. 4.10 gears, Yukon chromoly 4340 axles shafts with spicer circle clip u-joints, Ox air locker, gusseted the inner Cs on the front also. The shop did other miscellaneous work too, but that is most of it. Was not cheap! $6200. I put prices in this just to let others know what they could be looking at in cost for a build such as this! Not to brag!!

Now I need to finish running air lines, hook up the air compressor, install a new winch, CB, fog lights and more. Always more to keep doing. Jeep; just, empty, every, pocket!

After having all the upgrades done, got ready to drive my XJ home and the clutch slave and master cylinder went out! Had to borrow a trailer from my friend and haul it home the next day. Now have to wait for payday to fix my Jeep even to drive and try all the upgrades out! Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Finished the plumbing of my air lines to the switches, manifold and tank. Started mounting the air compressor, but back and hands gave out. Tomorrow I hope to get the wiring done and be able to turn the system on and check for leaks. Will post pictures when I have things done. Not sure anyone would do things the way I did. Did not turn out like I hoped but should work?

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I loved my XJ, I'm following your build. I'm considering another XJ build myself. looking forward to seeing where you take this.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Jeff Graham, Motorhead1,
Thanks for the incouragement! Not sure my work is the best, but I do enjoy doing it. There is a certain satisfaction of fixing, building and modifying things yourself. I have GBS, and then had a major heart attack this last June. Every day is a gift!

Reactions: khorsa

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

The plan soon is to replace the Badlands winch with a new Warn Zeon 10s winch, up on the front bumper. I want to get a receiver winch mount for the Badlands winch and use that for my Dodge truck and someday a car hauler trailer.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Jeff Graham, Motorhead1,
Thanks for the incouragement! Not sure my work is the best, but I do enjoy doing it. There is a certain satisfaction of fixing, building and modifying things yourself. I have GBS, and then had a major heart attack this last June. Every day is a gift!
I enjoy doing the work myself. I have no one to blame if it breaks: and have a better chance of fixing it, when it does. Working on your rig, is good form of physical therapy,

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Did not get much done today, helped a neighbor with a project. But did get the air compressor plumbing finished finally today. Then took off the Badlands winch. The ARB twin air compressor is 100% duty cycle. It will put out 150 p.s.i. The Ox lockers work with 80-120 p.s.i. but 85 p.s.i. is optimum. I took an working AC compressor apart to use the tank and regulator, to give the air lockers the 85 p.s.i. plus have the 3-1/2 gallon tank to fill tires faster and run any air tools I might want to use on the trail. Hard to tell in the picture, but the ARB air compressor is mounted to the rib that runs under where the rear seat bench sits. When I make my sleeping platform, I will have to use some risers to clear the tank and regulator. Wanting to keep the sleeping platform as low as possible.
IMG_0539.JPG

Last edited:

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Next is wiring up the air compressor. The holdup doing so is money. I would like to buy the marine plywood and hinges for the sleeping platform. On the underside of the platform I want to run all my power to run any of the accessories that I plan to have. I want to be able to flip up the front part of the platform and access the wiring easily. Mounting everything to the underside of the plywood platform. Have all my relays and fuses easy to get at and to be able to add accessories and make any changes. I have the wiring. Need the plywood, hinges, relays, and a fuse holder. It is coming together literally little by little.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Have been busy with life. So, time to add a few things. I did change out my winch, but need to install the synthetic winch line yet. Also, bought a spare tire and wheel for the XJ. Does not match but the wheel is Aluminum with a good off road tire. Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Not much to report. Finally got the parts to fix my clutch. My hands are not working well again lately, so ended up driving the XJ in to town to a repair shop to let them fix my Jeep! That was fun, I have to start the Jeep in the gear I want and drive that way. Shut off motor to stop! It was a long trip to town, but made it. Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Well, my Cherokee is going to be down for the winter. I do not have a garage to work in out of the weather. Problems with the clutch engagement. The new master and slave cylinder was installed, and did not fix the clutch issue. So, that means The transmission and transfer case have to be pulled and the clutch needs pulled apart. Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Thanks Motorhead1,
No this is something with the clutch assembly, pressure plate, not working. No noises, just no engagement. The OP did not resurface the fly wheel when he did the build on this, and has had clutch chattering from day one. Other than the chatter, it has worked okay. One minute it was working, next nothing! Just like that. My plan is the complete kit from Centerforce with new fly wheel, pressure plate and clutch. Only money right! I guess that is why I spend more working on my rigs. I don't do things half way, any short cuts just just seem to bite me in the end. So do it right from the start save money and time. That my experience anyway. Benz.

Reactions: k9sar

Motohead1

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

make sure when its out that you get the exact runout number. Beyond .005 a side or .010 total will kill stuff eventually. The binding PP symptom your experiencing can be caused by runout. There may be no noise yet as the input bearing isnt worn enough. could also be an improper step dimension on the flywheel if its some oddball flywheel setup. Anyway let us know what they find im curious.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Motorhead1,
Thank you, I will check that out. Thanks for the heads up. Hope the Jeep does not get snowed in before I can find a place to work on it. As a plan B, I will work on getting my Landcruiser going. My XJ still is my first choice though! Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Thought I would post my progress on my Jeep Cherokee.
Working on selling my FZJ80 to keep working on my Jeep. Money and time. Now, it is a place I can work on my Jeep out of the weather, plus a concrete floor to work off of. Put up a Craigslist add to rent a space in a shop our a garage for a month! I will be buying a Centerforce high inertia flywheel. The stock Jeep Flywheel is about 27lbs. The high inertia steel flywheel is 40lbs. Hoping to get my Jeep back on the road before the new year. Found a stainless steel homemade box just the right size to go into my Jeep. With the traction mats, the list is little by little getting completed. Benz.

Motohead1

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

You will like that flywheel. My adapter uses a 4.0 jeep clutch and flywheel and I am using the 43lbs centerforce unit. Its not cheap but made the smooth drive with the stock 27lbs wheel even smoother with the 43lbs.