Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
There's been no shortage of work between these posts! But throughout this week I wanted to focus on upgrading my On-Board Air Setup... the little Amazon special wasnt cutting it!

What I've done is mount a Viar 88P, 2 Gallon tank, custom manifold and a 3D printed cooling fan mount onto a nice HDPE Plastic bracket I made.

I then mounted the whole assembly to the steel of the Spare Tire Carrier panel.

It is STOUT!!

Currently I have one port for filling the tank, with shutoff valve, one port for a pressurized water tank in the future, one port for the Gabriel Hijackers on order, one port in the fuel cap for hose connection, and one port for the 115 psi safety valve.

This setup, without using air from the tank, will fill a 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2 from 15 psi to 35 psi in exactly 3 minutes.

With the old blue setup I was near 10 minutes!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I dig that cooling fan mod! Are those just some PC fans? Have you noticed a difference in performance with them? I might want to do this to my Viair pump.

Reactions: Vantams

Vantams

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Plain City, Utah
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Tams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7UFV
I dig that cooling fan mod! Are those just some PC fans? Have you noticed a difference in performance with them? I might want to do this to my Viair pump.
You know, for the time I've owned that Viair compressor, it's never cycled out on me... it's just kept going, so I don't really have a comparison for how good the cooling fans work! But, with the fans, the had of the pump is actually tolerable to the touch, without the fans it damn near scalds me!

Vantams

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Plain City, Utah
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Tams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7UFV
A couple weeks ago I installed some LED's into the rear hatch door. The mounted up easy and I wired them into the rear cargo light so they only turn on when I open the hatch.

I plan on doing a YouTube video about it all, soon!

IMG_20190415_214129_824.jpeg

Last edited:

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
You know, for the time I've owned that Viair compressor, it's never cycled out on me... it's just kept going, so I don't really have a comparison for how good the cooling fans work! But, with the fans, the had of the pump is actually tolerable to the touch, without the fans it damn near scalds me!
I've noticed that mine gets rather warm. What fans are these? PC fans? How did you wire them in? I'd like to borrow this idea to see if I can rig something similar with my pump.

Vantams

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Plain City, Utah
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Tams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7UFV
I've noticed that mine gets rather warm. What fans are these? PC fans? How did you wire them in? I'd like to borrow this idea to see if I can rig something similar with my pump.
They are just PC fans, 12V DC obviously. I did wire them in tandem with the compressor itself so they only turn on when the compressor is in use. They work really well, and like I said, they cut down the temps to the point where it's not so scalding after inflating four tires.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
They are just PC fans, 12V DC obviously. I did wire them in tandem with the compressor itself so they only turn on when the compressor is in use. They work really well, and like I said, they cut down the temps to the point where it's not so scalding after inflating four tires.
I'll have to pick through the fans at work and wire something up. Perks of being an IT Engineer :sunglasses::wink:

Vantams

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Plain City, Utah
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Tams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7UFV
Here's the next project for the fat pig... along with re-doing the electrical setup for all my accessories, but it will all go hand-in-hand.

REAR BOX TOP LEVEL ASSY.JPG

The far left slide will be compartment/ slide-out table combined. The middle and the right side will be regular drawers, with placement for my dual Viair 88P compressors in the middle-rear and the Viair 2.0 tank in the left-rear.
I've added a CPU fan on the rear wall of the compressor compartment to pull in cooler air, with a vented hole to cycle out warm air generated from the compressors. Also, each compressor will have it's own fan and 3D Printed Shroud over the
heatsinks to aid in cooling.

I wanted a place that would keep them cool and quiet... I think this will succeed!

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Here's the next project for the fat pig... along with re-doing the electrical setup for all my accessories, but it will all go hand-in-hand.

View attachment 94239

The far left slide will be compartment/ slide-out table combined. The middle and the right side will be regular drawers, with placement for my dual Viair 88P compressors in the middle-rear and the Viair 2.0 tank in the left-rear.
I've added a CPU fan on the rear wall of the compressor compartment to pull in cooler air, with a vented hole to cycle out warm air generated from the compressors. Also, each compressor will have it's own fan and 3D Printed Shroud over the
heatsinks to aid in cooling.

I wanted a place that would keep them cool and quiet... I think this will succeed!
I dig it! I'd be doing something similar if I wasn't using the spare wheel bay in the WJ for the actual spare. If it was just storage space, I could justify it and make it work. Looking forward to seeing it done and installed!

Vantams

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Plain City, Utah
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Tams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7UFV
I just got back from an awesome trip to Southern Utah chasing turkeys, it made me want to jump right in to planning the next one!

The rig ran great the whole trip, I put about 800 miles on it without a hiccup, but the front end needs some bushing love, possibly upgraded CA's... Mr. Wobbly visited me this morning on the way to work!