Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lowe
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Ok, newbie question. So I'm planning my first day trip to learn a bit and see what is nearby. My question is about legal roads to use. In the first picture below you'll see a Gaia map where I've got two layers active, the Motor Vehicle Use Map and the USFS map. You'll notice a road labeled "4WD" and numbered 203112. When I look at map legend for the USFS map it says the double dashed line is "Unimproved, 4 wheel drive."
MVUM-USFS.jpg

Now the next image I have hidden the USFS map layer and you can only see the MVUM. You'll notice that 203112 is gone. Does this mean that 203112 is not legal to drive on? I nabbed the most recent PDF from the USFS and it agrees with what is shown below, that 4WD route is not listed. In fact, there a many, many of these 4WD routes that aren't on the MVUM. Looking on satellite imagery with Google Earth does show a track there and in many locations that aren't on the MVUM. Not wanting to get busted my first time exploring, do I need to stick to the alternating black/white roads marked on the MVUM or can I go on the unimproved roads on the USFS map from CalTopo?
MVUM-Only.jpg

Reactions: CTO1Mike

Pion

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lowe
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Last time I checked you have to stay on the roads listed on the MVUM or risk a ticket.
That's what it appears to be. When people talk about "finding" camping spots, where are they talking about, as it seems there isn't much to "find" when you know you can camp on either side of whatever road is shown on the MVUM. Maybe I'm confused on how one goes about "overlanding." I want to have the most options for exploring, but obviously don't want to break the law. The MVUM seems to only cover lands within national forest areas - are there types of locations where people go that aren't in such areas that allow driving and camping? Maybe BLM land?

donkability

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ohio
All of the NF flat spots near the roads seem to be established camping spots with fire pits already made from rocks, especially in the popular areas. I think what your referring to is they just found a sweet place (flat spot) near a overlook or what not that they are camping at for the night. There are established pull offs almost every NF out west, i had no problem finding a place for the night. BLM land as well you can just pull off and sleep anywhere on that land, gaia may have a layer for BLM as well.

Pion

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lowe
Member #

Service Branch
Army
BLM land as well you can just pull off and sleep anywhere on that land, gaia may have a layer for BLM as well.
Gotcha... I see a NeoTreks Land Use layer that shows BLM. That opens things up quite a bit.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
MVUM is not available in many areas. Where it is available it should be used. There may or may not be signage at that forest road which is not depicted on the MVUM map. So as others have said you should follow the MVUM. Where available the MVUM maps get updated every year. Whereas I am not sure how often the USFS maps do.

Reactions: Pion

Pion

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lowe
Member #

Service Branch
Army
That video helped answer some questions. Thanks for the heads-up. So much content on Youtube nowadays its hard to keep up and find everything.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
hay y'll, check out Lifestyle Overland latest video. Lots of great tricks and tips. I learned something new watch.

#gps #navigation #gaiagps
Jason is an awesome dude. I got him started on Gaia and he has run with it! I just don't enjoy creating any type of videos. He has come a long way and does a great job.

Reactions: AZ WANDERING BEAR