Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

My daughter's got a guide for mushrooms for me for my birthday to help identify what I was seeing on trips. Informational interest, not gastronomical.

We used to find morels all over when I was a kid here in Ohio, but nobody lets you wander their land any more, and a lot of the farm woodlots are now subdivision...

Reactions: Road

WJeeper

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Im jealous, living in Reno makes mushrooms a bit hard to find :(

Grew up and hunted in the coos bay, Oregon area and had a spot that could pick a few grociery bags full of Chanterelles. Man i miss having fresh mushrooms :(

Reactions: Matt Hixson

GXExplorer

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Bergstrom
Member #

Lots of beautiful chantrelles here in the Santa Cruz Mountains if you know where to look. We packed out a 50 lb rice bag full of morels four years back at a killer spot off a four wheel drive track in the Tahoe area the year after a big series of fires. We dried a ton and had killer soups and casseroles for months. We are always in the hunt for ones we can identify properly.

NCGRIZ

Rank I

Contributor II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Gregory
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4MVN
Would love to know more about NC mushrooms and how to identify them....you try it first tho'

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I have a couple of places I know to get morels in northern Nevada. I also like the puffball mushrooms as well. When I lived in Oregon, ruffed grouse and morels were our delicacy. Roll the birds in flour and fry them and the morels in the same pan of butter.

Reactions: NCGRIZ and Road