Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

The tray for the tire carrier is now powder coated, and installed. I really like the way it turned out, and now I get to see how durable the powder coat right is.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Moving onto the next rear bumper/tire carrier mod. There have been a couple times that some sort of lighting would have been great, and that leads me here. I picked up some microphone stand parts along with some Cat Eye LED's, and a waterproof switch that I plan on mounting to the tire carrier.

Below are the parts I'm using for the lighting. I'm still waiting for a couple access covers, screws, drill bit, tap, sealant, and hole saw in order to make this work.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Got my access covers cut this morning for the cooking light setup. Tonight I'm going to try to drill the 2 larger holes for the light, and switch. In addition to those I should be able to drill, and tap the additional 8 holes to secure the access covers. Then I should be able to powder coat the covers tomorrow, and put everything today before this weekend.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

We've been getting the 4runner out more lately, and we've both realized how much we missed it. This past weekend we did a short 1 night trip to an area that's been closed for the last year. I guess people haven't heard that it's now open, and because of this we didn't see a single person.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Had a small upgrade today that I wanted to post, and also a milestone. Today I hit 200k, and don't have any intention of stopping there. We had talked about selling the 4runner within the year, but have since changed our minds. Rather than selling we're going to make some inprovements on it, and some are still in the works. I have some King coilovers on order that'll be in on Monday. I'm now deciding if I should invest in an LT kit or rebuild the front end yet again.

First improvement was getting rid of my Prinsu rack. This was one of the first racks Prinsu (Zach) made before CBI bought them out, and was 79" wide. My new rack is 43-1/2", same hieght, and has awning mount that hug the rails. Unlike most awning mounts, these only stick about around an inch. A little about the rack, and it's parts. The side rails are cut from 1/4" aluminum. Both the mounting feet, and awnings are from 7 ga cold rolled steel. Everything is powder coated matte black, and all the hardware is black stainless. Well, except the carriage bolts securiung the feet to the extrution.

Reactions: RoarinRow

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

My work started last night with draining the oil, and transmission fluid. Getting the front end up on stands, and stopping there for the night. Today I filled the transmission fluid, and finished the oil change. Next up was removing my old Bilsteins, LBJ's, inner TRE's, outer TRE's, and rear sway bar links.

After getting everything installed I went ahead and applied grease to my front UCA's, rear LCA's, and my drive shafts. I was starting to get a little bushing sqeak from the lack of maintenance on them. I still have a little work to do on my roof rack, and rear swing out before heading out.

Reactions: RoarinRow

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

This was the epic road trip that we told over Christmas.
Obviously I'm way behind... but WOW that looks amazing.

Also, love the 3rd Gen 4 Runner, they're still one of my favorites and I considered one heavily when I got the WJ. Great build-out.

-TJ

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Over the weekend I completed one of the last items that I've wanted my 4runner to have. I built some slider from 1-3/4" x .120 DOM that are 68" in total length. The have kick-outs, two bend legs per slider, and I just dropped them off to get powder coated. Powder coat is not the best option for sliders due to the cost involved, but it's only going to cost me $10 for this and that's worth it.