Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Hey, @MStudt how was the bumper to install? Did you have to mod it in any way or was it all lined up alright?

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Hey, @MStudt how was the bumper to install? Did you have to mod it in any way or was it all lined up alright?
It was an easy install with 2 people. I had to enlarge the 4 bolt holes on the side mounts a little. I'm going to open them up a little more to drop the bumper down a little. It's sitting a little high on the side, and is going to start rubbing. I have to wire up some different light this weekend, and should be able to make some adjustments at that time.

Reactions: SLO Rob

rixham

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Frederick, MD
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Rixham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NAZ
I felt like the owner lied to me honestly. I bought what he called a 3rd Gen rack, and it wasn't. I was supposed to come out with one before Christmas, and still doesn't have one out. Instead of telling me the truth about the rack he just sent me a Tacoma rack that was intended to mount on the bed. The only difference was that he included some different mounts. Plus, knowing what I know about fabricating I can tell that he's got around a 100%+ mark-up on his racks. Don't get me wrong though it is a nice rack. But it's not worth the price tag, and I can see that after having one.
I e-mailed and asked about a 3rd Gen 4Runner rack and he flat out told me he was too busy to design and fabricate them.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I e-mailed and asked about a 3rd Gen 4Runner rack and he flat out told me he was too busy to design and fabricate them.
Pretty much what I thought. You should ask him about the 3rd Gen rack that he sold to me to see what he say's. I'm going to design my own very soon anyways.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I'm slowly working on the front end. Still need to swap out to Tundra calipers, rotors, and some new soft lines from the caliper up. I was able to get a couple things taken care of this weekend. I added a driver side ditch light bracket for my CB antenna, and a Tacoma antenna.

These are the parts that I used for the Tacoma whip mod. This is the antenna, and the black mast.

Next was installing the ditch light bracket. This was pretty easy, but took two of us to do it. I'm sure one person could have done it, but having an extra hand was pretty helpful.

Reactions: SLO Rob

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@MStudt Something just crossed my mind...I was thinking of painting my (your) mount with Line X or Monsta Liner...something like that ...would that effect the "ground" connection when I hook up an antenna? I think I may need to leave a contact point or something...

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

@MStudt Something just crossed my mind...I was thinking of painting my (your) mount with Line X or Monsta Liner...something like that ...would that effect the "ground" connection when I hook up an antenna? I think I may need to leave a contact point or something...
Sorry I'm just now getting back to you. If you're going to line it you should have a ground on it. That coating will take away from the signal for sure since you won't be getting a good ground.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

That's what I thought @MStudt I was going to paint my sliders and thought I'd do that too.

Thanks! Hope all is well...

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

My projects today were long overdo. I was able to knockout my TBU, and replace my fan clutch. The TBU took me about 4 hours from start to finish. I replace all the brake line from the engine bay to the calipers. I replaced the upper hard lines with new OEM's. From those to the calipers I used Tacoma soft lines. I purchase the Stoptech kit that came with rebuilt calipers, and new pads. I also purchase Stoptech slotted rotors. Since everything else was new I also purchased some OEM caliper bolts.

Before:

After:

I also replaced my fan clutch today since it was out, and it's still hot around here. This only took about 30 minutes from start to finished, I had to remove the 4 10mm screws from the fan shroud, and the 4 12mm nuts holding the fan clutch to the pulley. Once the clutch is out you remove the 4 10mm nuts holding the fan to the clutch. Install in reverse order.

Before:

After:

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

So it looks like this thread is coming back to life. Due to recent issues with my wife's Rover, the 4runner now gets to enjoy an adventure. Im not going into details but, the Rover is out and the 4runner is in. The 4runner will be getting a much needed face lift. This is going to be a major over haul in 2-3 weeks.

Let's start from the top. I have some work to do on my Prinsu roof rack since it needs to carry some items now. The roof rack will now hold a 99" CVT awning, Port-a-Shower, TRED's, fishing pole holder, and 2 Alu-Box's full of gear.

The inside is getting an entirely new platform, and will have a design similar to what I build for the Rover. It'll have dual drawers that are 34" long, 2 large compartments up front, and 2 small compacts up front. The front of the platform will hold 2 one gallon Rotopax, and maybe more.

The rear end is getting new springs, shocks, and bump stop extensions. I'm also going to rebuild the rear drums, and install new seals and bearing in the axle. Today I ordered a new 4xInnovations rear bumper with tire carrier, hilift mount, Jerry can mount, and fold down table to finish it off.

New Faulken tires are on the way, and now I'm hunting for a full size rim for a spare. I need to install our winch on my 4xInnovations from bumper, and touch up the paint a little. I'm also adding an ARB compressed under the hood with some updated electrical work. Some light pods are getting installed for ditch lights, maybe a backup light, and a new switch cluster on the dash.

Hope I'm not missing anything.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Up first is the new sleeping platform. It'll be made from 1 x 1 x .065 box tubing, and will be completely welded. It'll have a 1/2" deck, and some kind of cover for it. The back section will have two 32" long drawers, and a few compartments up front. I should be able to get started on this Wednesday, and hopefully complete it on Thursday.

This is what I have to work with.

Reactions: YETI X

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

So it looks like this thread is coming back to life. Due to recent issues with my wife's Rover, the 4runner now gets to enjoy an adventure. Im not going into details but, the Rover is out and the 4runner is in. The 4runner will be getting a much needed face lift. This is going to be a major over haul in 2-3 weeks.

Let's start from the top. I have some work to do on my Prinsu roof rack since it needs to carry some items now. The roof rack will now hold a 99" CVT awning, Port-a-Shower, TRED's, fishing pole holder, and 2 Alu-Box's full of gear.

The inside is getting an entirely new platform, and will have a design similar to what I build for the Rover. It'll have dual drawers that are 34" long, 2 large compartments up front, and 2 small compacts up front. The front of the platform will hold 2 one gallon Rotopax, and maybe more.

The rear end is getting new springs, shocks, and bump stop extensions. I'm also going to rebuild the rear drums, and install new seals and bearing in the axle. Today I ordered a new 4xInnovations rear bumper with tire carrier, hilift mount, Jerry can mount, and fold down table to finish it off.

New Faulken tires are on the way, and now I'm hunting for a full size rim for a spare. I need to install our winch on my 4xInnovations from bumper, and touch up the paint a little. I'm also adding an ARB compressed under the hood with some updated electrical work. Some light pods are getting installed for ditch lights, maybe a backup light, and a new switch cluster on the dash.

Hope I'm not missing anything.
You say this like, "Eh, I'm just going to do a couple little things and get going." :sweatsmile::sweatsmile: You've got big things going on!

Reactions: MStudt

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

You say this like, "Eh, I'm just going to do a couple little things and get going." :sweatsmile::sweatsmile: You've got big things going on!
I've learned my lesson with building platforms, and I really enjoy building them. We've put off getting new tires since the 4runner wasn't heading out, and the rear bumper will just make everything a little easier. Plus we plan on getting another 3rd Gen in a couple years, and then we can transfer everything over.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I got done what I thought I would today, but I was still hoping to be further along. I only had about 3 hours to spend on the platform today, and plan on being at it around 6 am tomorrow. I'm hoping to finish off the metal frame tomorrow, and hopefully I'll be able to get started on the wood portion.
The rear section has two drawers that are 34" long. The driver side drawer is 18.5" wide, and passenger side is 17.5" wide.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Day 2 is complete, and I still haven't had a full day of work yet. I wasn't able to start today until about 12:30 do to having to move a little this morning, and I called it a day at 8 pm. Tomorrow will be my first full day of work since today's full day was a bust, and I plan on starting around 8. I need to finish the front lids, side compartments, and extensions.

Today I managed to complete the rear section, and the front is about 75% percent done. The rear looks a little off, but it really isn't. I'll get some more pictures tomorrow once all the metal work is done, and painted. I'll make sure to get some pictures of how this mounts as well.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

The metal frame is complete, and painted. This ended up taking a bit longer than I had hoped, and that was do to running out of wire for my welder. As of now the welding is completed, but the wood portion will have to wait. The 4runner is now loaded up with our load to clear out the house. Come Sunday will be working from the inlaw's shop until everything is finished.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Looks like I'll be starting over right here due to Photobucket issues.
With the recent events, and deciding to take the 4runner on our upcoming adventure we decided to update it some. First thing was building a new platform to allow for more storage space.
Metal Framing

Finished Platform

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

The platform is 72" in length, and weighs about 110lbs empty. The rear drawers are both 34" in length, and pull out 28". The front has two flip up lids, two small side boxes, and two 1 gallon Rotopax under the front lip.
Today I'll be moving onto removing the rear bumper, and getting to work on the rear axle, I found out last night that I have a leaking axle, and need to replace 1 axle seal I also need to replace the drum brakes. At the same time I'll need to remove the rear bumper since my new 4xInnovations bump will be here tomorrow.
With everything moving along nicely we're aiming at being on the road next week. We still don't have much of an idea on where we're going besides Colorado, or how much time we'll have. What started off as a 1-2 year trip might only end up being a 1 month trip. We may be relocating to Oregon by mid August, and we should know that by the end of the week.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Today I was able to get rear end prepped for the new bumper. Getting the old bumper off was pretty easy with the exception of one bolt. I was also able to clean up the frame, and get it painted. In addition to that I was able to address the leaking rear axle, and get the driver side pulled apart.

While I'm working on the driver side of the axle I might tackle the passenger side as well. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find these parts locally or not so this project may have to wait for a few days.