Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hey everyone! Just recently got out of the USMC and am building a 2010 Toyota Tacoma for overlanding cross country exploration. BUT I am super worried about gas mileage. I figure that is probably a boot worry but just wanted some help or wisdom about it. Should I worry? Care?
right now I’m getting 13 MPG with just lift tires wheels and soft top. Nothing added yet
Make sure to be cognizant of vehicles weight, as you modify it... It will gain weight very quickly, quicker than you expect... As the weight goes up milage goes down.. Now with this being said, Toyota Tacoma's, 4Runners, Tundra's and Land Cruisers are not known for they're spectacular MPG. They do have a high smiles per gallon rating.

My 2015 $runner started out stock and was getting about 16 MPG. Now she is about 6,200 lbs and get 10.5 if we are pulling our trailer, which is alway considering we live out of it.

MPG is not that big a deal if your not commuting long distances in it, as a daily driver.. Prior to going full-time on the road I daily drive mine!tempImageuNTqIm.png

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Everything in life is a trade off. Overlanding and mileage is a big one, if you want high milage you'll give up space and off road ability. I have owned trucks for years, when I had to worry about gas mileage, it was small trucks with 2 wheel drive. Now that I can leave it in the driveway I have a Big Ass 4X4 Truck and love it. When I add a kayak and surfboards on top I drop to 10mpg. If I keep my foot off the gas I get about 1 or 2 gpm better. When I have all my crap in and on the truck and drive 80, I drop to 8 mpg, it's all a trade off. The reason you see us roaming with fuel cans is because sometimes we need them.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I just want to underscore tire pressure and speed. Higher pressure = better gas mileage. Something to confirm is correct, and if my 80 is going 80, I get less than 10. On long trips, it’s good to review gas prices before you head out and plan fill ups.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Mine is also only 33x12.50x17
slomatt said:
What size tires are you running? I've also got a 2010 Tacoma, and I average 16-19 mpg on 255/85R17s (33s).
your tires are 2.5" wider than slomatt, so there is one reason. I didn't see anything about what speeds you are driving to get your MPG's? Do you punch it off the line? Also what tire pressure are you running? When was the last tune up? does it have stock gears? there are a lot of factors.

When you build, be aware of aerodynamics and weight. I put a high clearance off road bumper on my GX470, the mileage drop about 2-3 mpg and the bumper didn't weight that much and that was just the bumper, other stuff lost me a couple more MPG. With my Tacoma, I just put a bumper insert on and added aluminum parts, my MPG dropped very little, 1-2 mpg, total weight added was about 500-600lbs. Winter gas and warming the truck up hurts me a lot more.

I just did a trip to Houston are, running 60-65 mph puling my trailer and no/little wind 16-17 mpg. running 60-65mph into a strong wind or crab wind 13-14mpg, doing 70-75mph, 10-11 mpg.

Reactions: Viking1204

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Just did about a 100 mile round trip 7400ft to 5600ft running 60-65 mph and my fuel miles was 19.9mpg going and 17.9mpg on the return.

my truck is highly modifiedIMG_7045.JPG

Reactions: KAIONE

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Yesterday I drove 320 miles from near sea level to 7800ft (Kirkwood ski resort) and back. Overall mpg driving 70-75 mph on the freeway and a little over speed limit in the mountains was ~19mpg.

At one point after dropping ~5k feet my Scanguage read 30mpg. :) Overall gas mileage on the way there was 17.50-18, and on the way back a little over 20.

This is with 255/80R17 (33.1") Toyo Open Country AT3 "pizza cutters" on my lifted 2010 Tacoma DCSB TRD offroad.

My 3rd gen 4Runner w/ a winch and steel bumper on 265/75R16 (32") tires can get 20-21 mpg on long highway trips driving ~70mph.

- Matt

Reactions: NMBruce

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Set your rig up as you wish it to be, you be happier in the long run. Gas pricing/costs have always been the largest expense when traveling for me. I know it and plan accordingly. If your worried about running out somewhere, carry extra. If worried purely on cost, save some more.

Get out there and enjoy! We're back from a 8900 mile run from the Nor'east to Baja. I averaged 14mpg overall. Feel pretty about that listening to others with smaller rigs!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Yesterday I drove 320 miles from near sea level to 7800ft (Kirkwood ski resort) and back. Overall mpg driving 70-75 mph on the freeway and a little over speed limit in the mountains was ~19mpg.

At one point after dropping ~5k feet my Scanguage read 30mpg. :) Overall gas mileage on the way there was 17.50-18, and on the way back a little over 20.

This is with 255/80R17 (33.1") Toyo Open Country AT3 "pizza cutters" on my lifted 2010 Tacoma DCSB TRD offroad.

My 3rd gen 4Runner w/ a winch and steel bumper on 265/75R16 (32") tires can get 20-21 mpg on long highway trips driving ~70mph.

- Matt
255/80r17 pizza cutters...I rather like the sound of that

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

- Matt
Could we see some pics of these Pizza Cutter please? I have some steelie 17's I'd like to throw 33's onto

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Keep your roof line clean. My WJ loses 1 to 1.5 MPG at highway speeds with ANYTHING strapped to the roof.
If you have to get tires, go with the diameter you want but get the narrower tire for lower rolling resistance. Keep inflated 2-3 PSI above normal for highway cruising.
Make sure engine is in fresh tune and all filters clean. Some people have seen gains with all synthetic fluids in the drivetrain.
Drive for highway MPG- look for bypasses and long stretches with no stops. Sometimes a longer route is better than a stretch of endless stop and goes.
Mod and load the vehicle like a backpacker- or at least be mindful of gross vehicle weight. No sense carrying 10 gallons of fuel and water when you are driving in civilization.

And when on the trail "it is what it is" !!!!!

Good Luck!

Reactions: Viking1204

utahcamera

Rank II

Contributor III

McKinney, TX, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7UHP
Hey everyone! Just recently got out of the USMC and am building a 2010 Toyota Tacoma for Overlanding cross country exploration. BUT I am super worried about gas mileage. I figure that is probably a boot worry but just wanted some help or wisdom about it. Should I worry? Care?
right now I’m getting 13 MPG with just lift tires wheels and soft top. Nothing added yet
If you increased tire size by more than 1", and it's in the budget, I'd consider changing the ring and pinion to at least a 3:91 or 4:30. I know it sounds crazy; however, you will get better MPG.

The axle code for your rig can be found on the manufacture's sticker located on the driver's side door jamb as follows:
First digit:
A = 7.5" ring gear
B = 8" ring gear
Next two digits:
  • 01 = 3:42
  • 02 = 3:58
  • 03 = 4:10
  • 04 = 4:56
  • 05 = 3:15
  • 06 = 3:91
  • 07 = 4.30
Last digit:
  • A = 2 Pinion, Open
  • B = 4 Pinion, Open
  • C = 2 Pinion OEM Limited Slip

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Pull the lift, sell the tires, get skinnier than stock tires and you will get better than stock mileage,
Then add NOTHING outside the truck. No rack, no Thule, no bikes, canooes or RTT on the roof. Just add a sleek canopy and keep EVERYTHING inside.

AND travel slow. Drag on the Interstate at 75 will KILL fuel economy. Plan overlanding on secondary and backroads.

On tires, I have done them all on 4 different Wranglers. The bigger, wider, taller the worse the gas mileage. I have always like tall and skinny. 2 years ago I went from 33/10.50R15s to 7.50R16s..... Translated those are 31/7.50R16s or 185/100R16s. I gained 5MPG with just that tire change. If gas mileage, fuel economy, range matter buy the tires which will make a difference, not what everyone else is running. That 5mpg translates to a range increase of 95 miles.... and yes it is a fact, I have a 300 mile commute I drive often, I could never do it without a gas stop, today I can.

This combination, keeping the speed under 60mph, never using the three lanes passing on grades unless a semi going under 50mph.... delivers 17mpg when I drive like a hyper miler.
PS.... if you want great fuel economy..... visit the hyper miler threads and drive without shoes.
7.50R16s on the Jeep and the trailer.... and the spare tire too.

IMG_0779.jpeg

Heres a comparison 7.50R16s vs stock TJ Rubicon 245/75R16s

IMG_0453.jpeg

Not only is the fuel economy better, the ride is light years smoother. And driving thru standing water, slush, heavy snow, that ridge of wet snow on the centerline.....
WOW indescribable how much better pizza cutters are. I can cross that pile of slush on the centerline and pass without hesitation.
Priceless is watching a 3500 Cummins on 37s chicken out as he tries to follow. BIG tires are called flotation tires for a reason.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The cost of gas is definitely reason for pause. At 15 mpg and $4.00/gallon.... Air travel and hotels might be cheaper. And zero purchase/mortgage/maintenance.
Even more so in Canada where gas is closer to $8.00/gallon.

If gas prices stay high we will see people unloading pickups and manufacturers building Pintos, Vegas, Minivans like 50 years ago.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Hey everyone! Just recently got out of the USMC and am building a 2010 Toyota Tacoma for overlanding cross country exploration. BUT I am super worried about gas mileage. I figure that is probably a boot worry but just wanted some help or wisdom about it. Should I worry? Care?
First of all, thank you for your service. Second, all you can really do is try to limit mods that will hurt MPG. Lift and larger tires are generally the biggest negative impacts on MPG, and you've already done that so I wouldn't worry too much about the rest. Try to avoid things that hurt aerodynamics and add unnecessary weight (which is generally a big concern with a Tacoma anyway in terms of power and GVWR). Still, nothing you're yet to do is going to hurt much as compared to the lift/tires... so don't worry about it too much.

The reality is the only way to get better MPG is to sell the 'Taco and get something else, likely something with a smaller diesel engine. That will cost you far more than you're going to spend on the extra fuel just keeping the 'Taco.

-TJ

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

Rochester, Washington, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRQJ715
Lots of great advice in this thread.

Definitely keep the weight down - be very thoughtful about what is a need and what is a luxury.

Keep exterior drag down. Build what you think is cool, but give some thought to a deck/drawer system with a canopy. Wishing now I would have gone that route.

I like the post about driving on pizza cutters, I will consider that for myself next set of tires.

One new piece of advice I haven’t seen here yet. Look into the Overland Tune. My mileage appears to be improving with that mod on my 3rd Gen Taco.