MoDaJaGa

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Copperopolis, CA, USA
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
Gause
Hey everyone! Just recently got out of the USMC and am building a 2010 Toyota Tacoma for overlanding cross country exploration. BUT I am super worried about gas mileage. I figure that is probably a boot worry but just wanted some help or wisdom about it. Should I worry? Care?
right now I’m getting 13 MPG with just lift tires wheels and soft top. Nothing added yet

Reactions: Magic Mike

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I get about 15 - 16 on mine stock. if I put larger tires on it, I will loose 1-2. When I bought it new, it took about 5-7k miles for the motor to finally break in. I was getting 12 - 13 at first.

We buy Toyota's because they out live us, too bad the mileage isn't great. My FJ80 went from 12-14 after I did some mods to it. Just bring extra fuel.

Reactions: AT4OB

MoDaJaGa

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Copperopolis, CA, USA
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
Gause
I get about 15 - 16 on mine stock. if I put larger tires on it, I will loose 1-2. When I bought it new, it took about 5-7k miles for the motor to finally break in. I was getting 12 - 13 at first.

We buy Toyota's because they out live us, too bad the mileage isn't great. My FJ80 went from 12-14 after I did some mods to it. Just bring extra fuel.
so basically build what you want, get what you get, and just deal with it? ‍♂

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I always fill up when I leave the freeway. It's never been a problem.

My Suzuki only has a 2g tank. More thought needed there.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I have a '17 with 18" tires, lifted a little, RTT, etc. I noticed when I go much over 60 mph my mpg drops off a cliff. If I can cruise around 50 it gets close to 15 mpg. Just close. Depending on terrain and load. I sometimes pull a 3400 lb. boat/trailer and on flat land I may get 9-10 mpg driving easy. Gonna hurt the bank driving to Idaho, but I wasn't planning on dying rich anyway. I don't worry about gas price as much as dependability.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I think the key is how far you want to be able to go between filling stations. The higher the consumption the less the range (obviously), or to be more practical, the more reserve you have to carry, affecting fuel consumption, stability, braking, and wear and tear. I guess this is the key (and obvious) message. The following is simply to give some additional insight and an example.
On our most recent desert crossings we needed a range of around 500 miles, At our normal fuel consumption plus 50% for the extra consumption in dunes we needed to carry significant reserve fuel in portable tanks. There’s a limit to how much you can carry in addition to the fuel in the main tank(s). It’s a good plan to keep mass to a minimum.
Example - we crossed the Simpson and needed to carry enough fuel to get across. Based on our experience in deserts we planned on 25-50% higher consumption than on tarmac. We saw advice online ranging from 50-100% higher consumption. At Mount Dare the advice was to plan on 50% higher than "normal" and to plan on the possibility of taking the longest route (478 miles), since the shortest route was badly chopped up when we were crossing.
So, we calculated needing around 51.5 US gal of fuel. Filling the tank and fuel cans gave us 55 US gal. The French Line wasn't as bad as we’d expected so we ended up covering 379 miles and using 35.7 US gal of fuel.
The point is that we normally get 14.1 mi/US gal and we got 10.7 mi/US gal on the crossing. So if you normally get 13 mi/US gal you should assume at best 9.9 mi/US gal. Your standard fuel tank holds 21 US gal, so that’ll give you a range of 143 miles (if you assume 65 miles reserve). If you want to travel further you’ll need fuel cans or an extra tank. For autonomy of (say) 500 miles with an additional 65 miles of reserve fuel you'll need 565 miles-worth of fuel, which means 57 US gal. So an additional 36 US gal, which weighs 216 pounds (gasoline) or 252 pounds (diesel). Either way this is a lot more mass, affecting fuel consumption, stability, braking, and wear and tear.
So back to the first paragraph - how far do you want to be able to go autonomously? If it’s no more than 150 miles or so, no problem, although as you note, you’re "getting 13 MPG with just lift tires wheels and soft top. Nothing added yet.” If you add more mass your consumption will increase. ; if you want 500 miles range then you’d be better off, in my view, with a vehicle with better fuel consumption.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Hey everyone! Just recently got out of the USMC and am building a 2010 Toyota Tacoma for overlanding cross country exploration. BUT I am super worried about gas mileage. I figure that is probably a boot worry but just wanted some help or wisdom about it. Should I worry? Care?
right now I’m getting 13 MPG with just lift tires wheels and soft top. Nothing added yet
What size tires are you running? I've also got a 2010 Tacoma, and I average 16-19 mpg on 255/85R17s (33s).

Reactions: AT4OB

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Dang…and here I thought my HD Ram was supposed to be a gas-swilling pig. I see 15-16 mpg (hand-calculated) at 70 mph. City driving puts me at about 11-12.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the fuel range, unless you’re planning on driving the Mojave or something. There’s always the must-have-for-overlanding Rotopax!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I don't think I can put a price on my sanity. The difference between $60 and $90 for a fill up is not even a night out with my girl. Actually much less. We could share that night at a beautiful overlook in the mountains. Over the holidays we spent a metric shit ton to go to Florida. The experience was life changing after being locked down for several months.
I'm good on gas. This too will pass.
Zim

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
my tundra gets 10 mpg and pulling our camp trailer over hilly areas is even worse....
it sucks, especially with fuel at $4 a gallon but like @North American Sojourner said...cant put a price on sanity and for most of us on here, i'd say it is still very cheap "therapy"

its easy for me to justify fuel expenses after 3 divorces. anytime i feel bad about spending money, all i have to do is think about all the attorney fees and divorce settlements and compared to that....NOTHING seems too expensive

its all about perspective...:grinning:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Worry about the shit that you can control and fuel prices isn't one of them.

Adjust your habits accordingly, plan your moves, plan your stays if money is the ultimate concern as it relates to"MPG's" then economize in areas you can control.

Stay light, stay as aerodynamic as you can, plan your movement like somebody is shooting at you, and press on.

AT4OB

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Connecticut, United States
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Selden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTS423
Service Branch
Army
‘22 Canyon getting about 12-14 mpg since I put on the bed rack and RTT about 3 weeks ago. I have a 1 inch level and rolling on 31 inch tires and no front air damn. I also don’t think the engine is broken in just yet but who knows.

T4R13

Rank IV

Traveler III

Lewis County, West Virginia, United States
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Schriner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8VAF
Worried about mpg? Don’t modd it. No big tires. No heavy bumpers or racks, or skids or gear. Unfortunately it boils down to that. I have every piece of armor and bumpers and rack on my 5th gen. Loaded with gear I’m At 10-12. Sucks but it is what it is