Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

I find this to be an excellent crosspoint as well. Although not a hardcore mountain bike - my Specialized Crosstrail Disc - does well on trails and gravel. The attached picture was taken after a three day ride along the 72 mile paved Trail of the Coeur d' Alene -- a gorgeous and great ride!! The John Wayne Trail is a gravel trail that goes a couple of hundred miles over the Snoqualmie Pass - that day was 30 miles up and back for a 60 mile day. I really enjoy biking and it is a great companion to Overlanding!! Great thread!!!

Attachments

Reactions: Jim Newell

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

I find this to be an excellent crosspoint as well. Although not a hardcore mountain bike - my Specialized Crosstrail Disc - does well on trails and gravel. The attached picture was taken after a three day ride along the 72 mile paved Trail of the Coeur d' Alene -- a gorgeous and great ride!! The John Wayne Trail is a gravel trail that goes a couple of hundred miles over the Snoqualmie Pass - that day was 30 miles up and back for a 60 mile day. I really enjoy biking and it is a great companion to Overlanding!! Great thread!!!
Yes good thread indeed.
I love that there is a John Wayne Trail:) Now there is a bucket list item!
Question...where is the John Wayne Trail?
Thanks,
Jim

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Yes good thread indeed.
I love that there is a John Wayne Trail:) Now there is a bucket list item!
Question...where is the John Wayne Trail?
Thanks,
Jim
Link - and it is a lot of fun and very nice trail (packed gravel)....

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails/john-wayne-pioneer-trail-iron-horse-state-park

And a link to the Trail of the Coeur d' Alene....

http://friendsofcdatrails.org/CdA_Trail/#.WDm5V6IrIy4

Lots of ways to have fun with the truck AND the bike for sure!!! ;-)

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Back in 1987 I was a football player, freshman in college and I tore my ACL, so after 10 months of crutches, I bought my first Mountain Bike a Diamondback Ascent EX in Green. At that time ACL tears ended your competitve athletic life, but I wasn't ready to stop being an athlete. I used to ride at Lake Chabot and Garin Park in the East Bay amd made the trip to the Mt Tam area whenever I could, inspired by Gary Fisher of course, so much so that my second bike was a Fisher Mt Tam. If memory serves me correctly I spent $1600 on that bike in 1988, which would have bought me a descent truck. I currntly have a Specialized Rock Hopper Comp, however I do not ride very often. I used to love going to Mammoth in the summer and ride the downhills. I have not done it in years but this thread is inspiring me.

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Back in 1987 I was a football player, freshman in college and I tore my ACL, so after 10 months of crutches, I bought my first Mountain Bike a Diamondback Ascent EX in Green. At that time ACL tears ended your competitve athletic life, but I wasn't ready to stop being an athlete. I used to ride at Lake Chabot and Garin Park in the East Bay amd made the trip to the Mt Tam area whenever I could, inspired by Gary Fisher of course, so much so that my second bike was a Fisher Mt Tam. If memory serves me correctly I spent $1600 on that bike in 1988, which would have bought me a descent truck. I currntly have a Specialized Rock Hopper Comp, however I do not ride very often. I used to love going to Mammoth in the summer and ride the downhills. I have not done it in years but this thread is inspiring me.
So true.
Have a look around this forum. I have been inspired on a couple different levels by several of the topics.
Good group of folks.
Jim

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I got back into biking a few years ago. Bought a $100 mongoose at Walmart to cruise around the block with my wife. But I missed the single tracks, so I found a Specialized Rockhopper on sale. I've ridden it in CA, OR, TX, and IL. Oregon is probably my favorite so far. This pic is a greenway through a neighborhood not far from Portland. But you cant see any houses the brush is so thick. I think 29" tires are amazing. Wish they had them when I was younger.13006590_853718444754202_5214947004569768275_n.jpg

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Did you ever pick one? I rode a mongoose I got at wally world lightly for a couple years, then moved up to a Specialized rock hopper. But I went cheap to start as I have a lot of hobbies and wasn't sure if I would get enough use out of it.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this question in, but I'm looking for mountain bike suggestions. I'd like to have a mountain bike I can take with me on trips and ride some trails. Most of my extra money right now is going to finishing (ha, never will be finished) my Jeep. Would I be ok with a bike from Walmart? Or do I really need to spend the money on a Trek, Gary Fisher, etc. I'm sure I'll ride this bike at home as well, but I just don't want to spend a bunch of money. Maybe down the road, but not yet. Thanks for your thoughts.
I have been riding mountain bikes since 1990 and get out at least twice a week. The quick answer is any of the name brands and at about $1,000 you can’t go wrong. Really it will be about what fits you. Go to a bike store and start there. See what they have at that price point, have them do a basic fit, go for a ride. Riding on the street is nothing like riding at trail, if you can demo on a trail even better. The other wild card is tire size, there is 27.5 and 29. At this time stay away from anything 26 this is an outdated size, and obsolesce is close making getting tire or rims difficult in the future. There is a lot to choose from, and this is a good time of the year to find a deal. Some of the best deals can be a demo bike from last year from a local shop. Ask about that, good bang for the buck. GET a helmet, DO NOT ride without one. Good luck.

Reactions: 100RNR and Vyscera

dcx13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Francisco, CA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Horndasch
Member #

The most important thing you should do when considering a (new) bike, is develop a good relationship with your local bike shop (LBS). Whether you purchase from the LBS or not, having that relationship will be an invaluable asset in developing your knowledge & skills.

Also, try to avoid purchasing a "random" second hand/used bike. You're essentially buying someone else's headaches. You also have no warranty if components should fail. I've spent the last 26 years working in the bicycle industry, and I can wholeheartedly say that the LBS is the greatest resource you can get. Find a shop you're comfortable with, and develop that relationship.

Reactions: WalkingBear

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I have been mountain biking since 1990. These days I ride in the Santa Monica Mountains and Rim of the Valley. (generally in greater Los Angeles) Depending on weather I will ride once or twice a week, doing a group night ride during the week. I ride a Santa Cruz Blur long travel carbon, this being my dream bike I built several years ago. Planning a trip to Moab and abouts this spring. 2011-10-30 10.05.37.jpg

RVA Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brandermill Parkway, Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Rudolph
Member #

I ride a lot in Richmond, Va area. I do it for the same reason I overland and hunt, I like to spend time outside in the woods. I ride a giant advanced xtc. Majority of my riding is xtc style so light and fast is important.

Everyday

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

Bay Area rider here. I've been neglecting my bike the last year as work/school have been taking up most of my time. I used to race cross country dirt bikes with my friends maybe 6 years ago. Love to ride single track and go downhill. Currently have a Santa Cruz Heckler 27.5

Hapkijo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

Lots of good info here, I started mountain biking in the late 80's and really went hard core in the 90's. Just getting back into it. I've got a 2009 M5 Stumpjumper, a tricked out Slingshot, and a 1993 Nishiki Colorado that I used for trials. I haven't hit the trails for about 20 years. I'm pretty sure when I get there I will be riding like an old man. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Reactions: genocache

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Lots of good info here, I started mountain biking in the late 80's and really went hard core in the 90's. Just getting back into it. I've got a 2009 M5 Stumpjumper, a tricked out Slingshot, and a 1993 Nishiki Colorado that I used for trials. I haven't hit the trails for about 30 years. I'm pretty sure when I get there I will be riding like an old man. :sunglasses:
No older than me, a Slingshot, wow I would frame that one and put it up a wall. My lust was a full suspension Manitou. Going to Moab this year to ride the new trails that I have not seen, since last time some 15 or so years ago. Have fun out there. Oh and armor is your friend.

Reactions: Hapkijo

Hapkijo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

No older than me, a Slingshot, wow I would frame that one and put it up a wall. My lust was a full suspension Manitou. Going to Moab this year to ride the new trails that I have not seen, since last time some 15 or so years ago. Have fun out there. Oh and armor is your friend.
Looking good on that Santa Cruz Gary. Unfortunately my skillz are rusty and fear of getting hurt is now something I understand. LOL Don't think I will be jumping onto any picnic table any time soon. I now ride around like a commuter. :cry:

Reactions: Gary Stevens

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I ride a Transition Smuggler(full suspension 29er) here in Western Colorado. I added a 130mm MRP racing Stage front fork and spend quite a bit of time out on the amazing singletrack in my area.

The best advice I can give you before spending money on a new bike is to go and demo a few. Find out what you really like and want before you spend your hard earned money on something you wont end up riding. I bet I demo'd 20 bikes from almost as many manufacturers before landing on the Transition.

Reactions: Gary Stevens