Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this question in, but I'm looking for mountain bike suggestions. I'd like to have a mountain bike I can take with me on trips and ride some trails. Most of my extra money right now is going to finishing (ha, never will be finished) my Jeep. Would I be ok with a bike from Walmart? Or do I really need to spend the money on a Trek, Gary Fisher, etc. I'm sure I'll ride this bike at home as well, but I just don't want to spend a bunch of money. Maybe down the road, but not yet. Thanks for your thoughts.
Do not get a cheapo mountain bike. I would find out from locals who your name brand bike shop is. For example, Kristi Mountain Sports. Our bike shop, deals in Specialized and Scott. I would go to your bike shop and find out what they sell. That way you know you will have parts and a knowledge mechanic. Bikes are easy to work on, but it is nice to have some back up. Plus once you get to know bikes and the people at the bike shop. You can go nerd out with them over bikes.

Next. Buy once cry once. Bikes are extremely expensive, but up to a point you get what you pay for. I started out on a $500 Specialized Hard Rock, and thought this is my life time bike after years of Walmart crap. Then I bought my son a Specialized Fuse with a 27.5 plus. I tried it and thought I need one. I ended up with a Trek Farley Fat Bike. Best bike ever. Never replacing it. Then I rented a full suspension bike. Now I ride a 29 inch Specialized Carbon Stumpjumper. Now I'm eyeballing a Scott Ransom Carbon 29er Enduro.

You don't have to go down the rabbit hole like me, but get a good bike. You will really enjoy it, and then upgrade later. Otherwise you can spend thousands chasing the next best one like me. Also, don't be afraid to rent a few to. Really go try them. A parking lot ride won't tell you shit about a bike. It might cost $50 or $100 to rent a good bike, but when your talking $2000 on up for a good one. It is worth the coin to rent a couple.

Just my $.02. If you are near Southern, CO you are more than welcome to come try any of my fleet and see what you like!

DMC707

Rank 0

Contributor I

Norman, OK, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Mcbride
Cool to find a MTB section here - its my main source of recreation/exercise when im healthy. Have knee surgery coming up soon but look forward to incorporating the Overland lifestyle into my mtb excursions soon. Hampton Inn gets expensive — LOL

being in central OK, i am just 4 hours away from the Bentonville trail network but love to hit Angelfire and the front range for downhill work when weather permits and the slopes are opened up to bikes.

Outfitting the truck for overnight excursions in support of this would be fun

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gardnerville Ranchos, NV, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

Cool to find a MTB section here - its my main source of recreation/exercise when im healthy. Have knee surgery coming up soon but look forward to incorporating the Overland lifestyle into my mtb excursions soon. Hampton Inn gets expensive — LOL

being in central OK, i am just 4 hours away from the Bentonville trail network but love to hit Angelfire and the front range for downhill work when weather permits and the slopes are opened up to bikes.

Outfitting the truck for overnight excursions in support of this would be fun
Stoked for you to be located where you are. Definitely some places I'd like to check out some time.

Playing bikes has been my favorite thing the past few years. Too much fun not to have lol!

So that's going to be one of our rigs main purpose. I've been having fun free riding hike a bike stuff lately, so once the rig is set up a bit we'll have more freedom to roam zones lol

Reactions: Wallygator

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
How's everyone enjoying the winter? I just had one of those great winter rides where I didn't want to stop. Studs on the ice don't hurt the fun, either! Happy 2021
Our winter's been pretty mild here in western WA so far. Got out for some muddy fun yesterday. Happy 2021 to you too!

U

UgotWheelz

All this talk about sedition and revolution got me thinking about EMP and modern vehicles. I have a solution for all that technology crash fears: bicycle or in my case Recumbent tricycle or perhaps I can find a recumbent quadracycle I have seen some in pics. I have a KMX Viper and Cobra trikes with rear racks that have completed three different crossings of America and also a Catrike that has done thousands of miles of shorter tours usually single and double centuries. They are all set up to pull my Brian Campbell replica 4'x4'x8' bicycle camper teardrop. I might and could add a e-assist Bafang midrive crank for more tow capability but haven't needed it so far even with my cargo trailer loaded down to max. I have a buddy running an e-assisted cargo trailer on his cargo bike with a Jackery as his battery source.

U

UgotWheelz

It's is possible my side sport of recumbent trikes could become my primary overlanding rig! Financial issues from parents death after 6+ years as caregiver are looming and I already have the trikes and the camper trailer. Just a small down size from hatchback and camper trailer.

velojym

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alabama
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Caron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4LBP
Not my "best" mtb, but it'll fold up and fit in the trunk of my little Hyundai. I want to set up a "dock" to mount it in my burb.

Attachments

Reactions: Jay Smallen

Contributor I

Kennesaw, GA, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Hamil
Not sure if this is the right section to ask this question in, but I'm looking for mountain bike suggestions. I'd like to have a mountain bike I can take with me on trips and ride some trails. Most of my extra money right now is going to finishing (ha, never will be finished) my Jeep. Would I be ok with a bike from Walmart? Or do I really need to spend the money on a Trek, Gary Fisher, etc. I'm sure I'll ride this bike at home as well, but I just don't want to spend a bunch of money. Maybe down the road, but not yet. Thanks for your thoughts.
With the market having such an explosion there are a lot of used bikes available that are in great shape I would recommend getting an account on PINKBIKE they have The absolute best user buy and sell section you can find some unbelievable prices on some great bikes. Where I got my Niner

gonzoy5

Rank V
Launch Member

Builder I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

With the market having such an explosion there are a lot of used bikes available that are in great shape I would recommend getting an account on PINKBIKE they have The absolute best user buy and sell section you can find some unbelievable prices on some great bikes. Where I got my Niner
Problem is the bike shortage in stores has people selling the used bikes at a premium. Some people think they’re like Jeeps where they add a few things and can sell over msrp even though it’s used lol. But agreed, used market is the way to go right now as stores aren’t making many deals right now.

Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Problem is the bike shortage in stores has people selling the used bikes at a premium. Some people think they’re like Jeeps where they add a few things and can sell over msrp even though it’s used lol. But agreed, used market is the way to go right now as stores aren’t making many deals right now.
You are so right!!! I saw an ad the other day where a guy had a used bike that they had sanded and painted themselves by hand(not professionally) and on top of that supposedly they had sanded so much that they erased the serial number. So then they added some parts to it and called it basically a custom build and wanted like 3k or 3500 for it! I'm sorry but to me that's just ridiculous. They couldn't even prove what type of frame it was!

Reactions: gonzoy5

gonzoy5

Rank V
Launch Member

Builder I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

You are so right!!! I saw an ad the other day where a guy had a used bike that they had sanded and painted themselves by hand(not professionally) and on top of that supposedly they had sanded so much that they erased the serial number. So then they added some parts to it and called it basically a custom build and wanted like 3k or 3500 for it! I'm sorry but to me that's just ridiculous. They couldn't even prove what type of frame it was!
I’m in Miami and the market here is absurd. We have a “show off” problem so they buy top end, barely use it and then try to sell as if it’s a car with “Only 1000 miles” lol.

Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I’m in Miami and the market here is absurd. We have a “show off” problem so they buy top end, barely use it and then try to sell as if it’s a car with “Only 1000 miles” lol.
Yep!! I see that a lot! Whats worse are the folks that buy the bikes with the only intention of re-selling it at a higher price!! They replace some pedals with flats and maybe some other small item and think it adds 1k to the bike! LOL!!