Alabama
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Caron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4LBP
Montague Paratrooper. I think they've gotten better lately, but mine came with a few lower end parts. Now it's solid, and folds up to fit in the trunk.
I'd like to set up a mount of some sort, in the back of my Suburban, where it can hang out between rides.

Attachments

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Back in 94 I ordered a 1995 specialized rockhopper A1 FS Comp. I was working at a gas station all winter to save up for the bike. It was 2500 dollars back then. To get some extra money I sold my next-door neighbor at the time, my old CCM steed. he was working for our family business at the time as well. Long story short, He is my next-door neighbor again, (i bought my parents' house off them), and he saw my son loves bicycles. The other day, the bike (my old ccm) showed up on my doorstep!!!! He said he wanted to give it to Colin as he would enjoy it much more than my neighbor. We are going to restore it back to like new! Here it is as it sits now.

20200520_204253968_iOS.jpg

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Back in 94 I ordered a 1995 specialized rockhopper A1 FS Comp. I was working at a gas station all winter to save up for the bike. It was 2500 dollars back then. To get some extra money I sold my next-door neighbor at the time, my old CCM steed. he was working for our family business at the time as well. Long story short, He is my next-door neighbor again, (i bought my parents' house off them), and he saw my son loves bicycles. The other day, the bike (my old ccm) showed up on my doorstep!!!! He said he wanted to give it to Colin as he would enjoy it much more than my neighbor. We are going to restore it back to like new! Here it is as it sits now.

View attachment 156030
Sweet!

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gardnerville Ranchos, NV, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

View attachment 156030
That's an amazing neighbor. Good times ahead for you guys!

Reactions: WalkingBear

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

Last Monday I went and bought a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29. Had to get an XL frame cause I'm too damn tall haha. I figured it would be a great starter to "grow in to" seeing as I haven't ridden a bike in at least 8 years. Now I just need all this rain to stop on a day when I have free time so I can actually ride it

IMG_20200518_134803.jpg

Had to squeeze it in the back of the Tahoe cause I didn't have a rack yet haha

IMG_20200518_122006.jpg

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Last Monday I went and bought a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29. Had to get an XL frame cause I'm too damn tall haha. I figured it would be a great starter to "grow in to" seeing as I haven't ridden a bike in at least 8 years. Now I just need all this rain to stop on a day when I have free time so I can actually ride it

View attachment 156218

View attachment 156219
Love my Specialized! Great buy!

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

View attachment 156218

View attachment 156219
Specialized is one of the best.

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

I'm an avid MTB'er, you will get hooked! Just a couple tips:
1. Buy yourself some better pedals, those ones a good for cruising around the neighborhood but if it get slightly bumpy, you will feel the wrath of flat pedals. I suggest RaceFace Chesters as they are really good for the $40 they run.

2. You can easily fit your bike in the back of a Tahoe by removing the front wheel and sliding it in the tailgate by flipping it upside, back tire in first, towards the front of the vehicle. you could strap it down to the cargo hooks if you desire, but I usually throw a cheap-o bungee on mine that way.. If it is a little too tall that way, lower your seatpost and that'll buy you some room.

Good luck! MTB'ing becomes an addiction that is great for your health as well as your spirit.

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC

View attachment 156218

View attachment 156219
Just saw this post and that you’re in Greenville? Where’d ya pick this up at? Carolina triathlon or benchmark by chance?

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

Hooked the bike up to the back of the 'Hoe and headed up to Clemson to hit some bike trails. After a mysterious bloody ankle and later almost passing out I decided that I'm not quite ready for that kind of trail yet. Guess it's paved trails for a little longer

IMG_20200704_082323.jpg

Reactions: Wallygator

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Waterford Township, MI, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

I've trimmed my fleet down to 3 and this is my only MTB currently. It's so good that I really don't mind having sold the FS bike.

A few more pics at the link below.

2018 Salsa Timberjack Ti Build
Currently it has a Shimano XT 12spd drivetrain and some Vittoria Aggaro 29x2.6 tires on it, otherwise the same.

Reactions: Wallygator
U

UgotWheelz

I know the thread title was MTB, but I stopped riding conventional bikes in 1987, I ride folders, minivelo, cargo and recumbent cycles since 2000 been exclusive;y on a recumbent trike. I am planning on having at least two trikes with me in my AWD overland hatchback and my mini camper trailer (when I ever get one). I refuse to leave my bikes outside or on racks where they can be stolen so I will probably end up breaking them down for transport, which requires removing the wheels and collapsing booms and handlebars, or removing sub assemblies. I need to have them with me as I compete in Ultracycling events usually bikepacking races.