Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

View attachment 149005View attachment 149006
A couple pictures of us goofing off. It’s hard to tell in the first picture, but Ollie is in front of me in the air in-between a double. I just try and keep up lol!! He’s my adventure buddy.
I hear ya! Daisy and I have logged many miles. She keeps me going on the trails! I hope we have many more, and you and Ollie do too!

Reactions: Jay Smallen

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gardnerville Ranchos, NV, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

Growing up is definitely overrated! I will check that out. I was looking at the mid range Scott Ransom for $5500. I like the geometry of it.

The Stumpjumper is a nice trail bike, but we are descending faster and faster. I'm a bigger guy at 6"3 and 250. The Stumpjumper is not real slack. It has a steeper head tube angle. It keeps try to buck me over the bars on drops and steep chunky. My buddy has a Transition Patrol and he is way faster and is so much more stable descending. Alot of this is due to the head tube angle. It is more slack. I was always worried about climbing with a slacker bike, but watching him. An enduro style is definitely the way to go. Best of both worlds!
You're on the right track for sure with the head angle. I'm on a 18 rocky mountain slayer and it's set at its slackest which I think is 64.3*. It pedals up great too, but dang it descends good lolol!! Test ride as many bikes as you can, but honestly there's SO many great bikes out there now. A direct to sales bike I almost got, but ran into a deal on my current one, was the Commencal Clash. Very capable gnarly bike that's hard to beat for the price. But there's a bunch in that category now haha! You'll be stoked on whatever you choose from these days.

Reactions: GetOutand4WD

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

That’s still a sweet bike. I was looking for an e enduro style bike to get in more laps on some off the radar trails here. And wouldn’t ya know it, but Specialized is having a huge discount on their turbo kenevo I think? The bike is normally $7,550 and it’s now $4,300 ish I think? Growing up is overrated lol.
YES! I just took advantage of this to get a 2020 Carbon Stumpjumper. Had to go to a dealer to ask if the price was for real. Seemed too good to be true, but it was! I believe it’s still going on.

Got it a few days ago and took it out yesterday for ~25 miles of riding in northeast Alabama. I hurt today...

3F8A26E3-DCEA-4C7B-B678-99C86E384A22.jpeg

Reactions: Jay Smallen

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

YES! I just took advantage of this to get a 2020 Carbon Stumpjumper. Had to go to a dealer to ask if the price was for real. Seemed too good to be true, but it was! I believe it’s still going on.

Got it a few days ago and took it out yesterday for ~25 miles of riding in northeast Alabama. I hurt today...

View attachment 149146
Cool! My pocket book is a little light right now. Day late and a dollar short. Glad you had a good ride! 25 miles on a mountain bike. Especially single track is a butt kicker. Good job man!

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

I wonder if anyone would be down for overlanding and biking? Hit some jeep trails to a camp out spot with mountain biking around. Bike for awhile, camp, go to the next destination and repeat. Do that for a few days.
I'm thinking the same thing here in AL/TN/NC. There are a lot of great trails in these parts, but man, I miss CO. If I was still out there, I'd definitely take you up on that offer!

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
..works better with the rubber side down.. ;P
Hardy har har...
I had a chance to get out and give the gravel grinder a shot. I really enjoyed it and seems to be about the perfect bike setup for my little corner of the earth. Good enough for the hardpan and the trail, I dig it.
I wonder if anyone would be down for overlanding and biking? Hit some jeep trails to a camp out spot with mountain biking around. Bike for awhile, camp, go to the next destination and repeat. Do that for a few days.
This is essentially how I aim to operate... Drive to an awesome spot, setup camp, then explore on the bike from there.

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I'm thinking the same thing here in AL/TN/NC. There are a lot of great trails in these parts, but man, I miss CO. If I was still out there, I'd definitely take you up on that offer!
Ya, CO has some good mountain biking. Maybe I'll set up a rally point later this year after COVID19 and see if there is any intrest.

Reactions: BchBum11511

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Hardy har har...
I had a chance to get out and give the gravel grinder a shot. I really enjoyed it and seems to be about the perfect bike setup for my little corner of the earth. Good enough for the hardpan and the trail, I dig it.

This is essentially how I aim to operate... Drive to an awesome spot, setup camp, then explore on the bike from there.
I have Jamis gravel bike and really enjoy it. Mountain biker at heart, but gravel grinding is fun!! I have a couple buddies I have been trying to talk them into wheeling and biking.

Reactions: Dilldog

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

View attachment 149146
Congratulations on the bike and first ride soreness! Sounds like more good times are on the way.

Reactions: BchBum11511

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Congratulations on the bike and first ride soreness! Sounds like more good times are on the way.
Yep, currently planning a trip to Asheville/DuPont in North Carolina for Sep for a few days, and possibly (if the boss is ok with it) a trip in the June/July timeframe to Tsali/Nantahala. I'm trying to find some spots to get off-road for a bit and see some of the forests on the way over.

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

Yep, currently planning a trip to Asheville/DuPont in North Carolina for Sep for a few days, and possibly (if the boss is ok with it) a trip in the June/July timeframe to Tsali/Nantahala. I'm trying to find some spots to get off-road for a bit and see some of the forests on the way over.
I haven't been to that part of the country yet, but I've seen a few videos and what an awesome area to check out. So beautiful. Feel free to share pics and experiences haha!

My work fortunately is essential and my lifestyle hasn't gone through too much change, other than trying to not spread and or get the coodies. I run a small dumpster business and caregive for my Mom and another lady, so I'm able to stay safe and isolated. But man am I wanting to get the wiggles out and ride, or hike lately. Just like everybody else I imagine.

Stay safe and stoked!

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I have Jamis gravel bike and really enjoy it. Mountain biker at heart, but gravel grinding is fun!! I have a couple buddies I have been trying to talk them into wheeling and biking.
My gravel bike is a Giant Escape and I really like it. I have owned a few other Giants over the years and think they do a good job of balancing affordability and quality. I really fell in love with the idea of the gravel bike because it's kinda about taking any road. Here in Spokane there's just so many options, you might start on a paved path but there's always the intersecting dirt that goes somewhere awesome. I would rather have one bike that is ok on and off road so I can keep my options open. Im all about taking one thing and making it work for many purposes, the blessing and curse of being a minimalist.
I will also admit part of why I bought that bike is so I can say I am going to escape with an escape in an escape...

Last edited:

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I have not been able to get out. It seems very strange to me that I can goto a crowded grocery store or Home Depot but can't take a bike ride or solo hike in the forest. :rage:

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

My gravel bike is a Giant Escape and I really like it. I have owned a few other Giants over the years and think they do a good job of balancing affordability and quality. I really fell in love with the idea of the gravel bike because it's kinda about taking any road. Here in Spokane there's just so many options, you might start on a paved path but there's always the intersecting dirt that goes somewhere awesome. I would rather have one bike that is ok on and off road so I can keep my options open. Im all about taking one thing and making it work for many purposes, the blessing and curse of being a minimalist.
I will also admit part of why I bought that bike is so I can say I am going to escape with an escape in an escape...
Escape I like that!

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I have not been able to get out. It seems very strange to me that I can goto a crowded grocery store or Home Depot but can't take a bike ride or solo hike in the forest. :rage:
We are probably in different States and in different circumstances, but I just go out and do it anyway. If it's just me and my dog in the middle of nowhere. We are not hurting anyone and nobody is hurting us. I am starting to see a lot of hypocrisy in this. So, until they throw me in the clink I am going to keep on keeping on!

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
We are probably in different States and in different circumstances, but I just go out and do it anyway. If it's just me and my dog in the middle of nowhere. We are not hurting anyone and nobody is hurting us. I am starting to see a lot of hypocrisy in this. So, until they throw me in the clink I am going to keep on keeping on!
Yeah definitely not that easy here. They are actually causing more people to expose themselves by having everything closed off. Cuz now people are parking along the road close together and riding the closed areas anyway. Could I do the same thing? Sure, but I'm just gonna wait until it all opens up again.