Mountain biking

• HTML tutorial

kingofthehill29

Rank II

Advocate II

Congrats! Nice work on losing the weight too. With the LED night riding lights on the market now you can ride 24 hours a day if you wanted to. Get a good one and you can ride after work every evening.
Thanks. Most the trails in my area close at sunset. There are a couple that stay open but they are a bit of a drive for an after work ride. We also have all our trails close when it rains. I am taking a half day at work to get an afternoon ride is due to the rain coming tomorrow and Friday.

TrailMasonCliff

Rank II

Enthusiast II

KS
First Name
Cliff
Last Name
Jones
From my home base in KC there is not a lot of 4x4 trails close and my free time to "overland" is mainly weekends sometimes extended by a day so most of my trips are focused on getting to camping spots where I can deploy my mountain bike, gravel bike or canoe. Would love to try Bikepacking but i suffer from sleep apnea and use a cpap so do not have a sleeping solution that would work for that option that i am willing to carry on the bike.

Attachments

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this question in, but I'm looking for mountain bike suggestions. I'd like to have a mountain bike I can take with me on trips and ride some trails. Most of my extra money right now is going to finishing (ha, never will be finished) my Jeep. Would I be ok with a bike from Walmart? Or do I really need to spend the money on a Trek, Gary Fisher, etc. I'm sure I'll ride this bike at home as well, but I just don't want to spend a bunch of money. Maybe down the road, but not yet. Thanks for your thoughts.
Get a good name brand from a local bicycle dealer. A bottom of the line Trek, Specialized, Giant, Salsa, etc. Is going to be far better than Walmart, Dave's, Dicks, etc.. Also you can get it fixed and tuned up. You don't just through them away. If you have a good bike you will enjoy it and ride it more. It won't just be a waste of money. I bought my teenage son a $1000 Specialized fuse. He has thrashed that thing, and it is now a buddy bike. It just won't quit. I do most of the maintenance and any difficult repairs are relatively cheap. I have invested thousands in bikes. Literally! If you have any questions ease ask.

Foretexas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Enid, OK, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Get a good name brand from a local bicycle dealer. A bottom of the line Trek, Specialized, Giant, Salsa, etc. Is going to be far better than Walmart, Dave's, Dicks, etc.. Also you can get it fixed and tuned up. You don't just through them away. If you have a good bike you will enjoy it and ride it more. It won't just be a waste of money. I bought my teenage son a $1000 Specialized fuse. He has thrashed that thing, and it is now a buddy bike. It just won't quit. I do most of the maintenance and any difficult repairs are relatively cheap. I have invested thousands in bikes. Literally! If you have any questions ease ask.

Excellent advice, Specialized Fuse is an awesome bike. Midfat tires give a great ride with awesome traction.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Those are my exact words and advice as well. But then again, I've been in the bike industry for about 27 years now, on the retail side of it, so can easily support that advice.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I've done both Walmart and then good bikes. I didn't start enjoying bikes until I forked over a little more cash for a good name brand.
And in addition to the quality and performance differences you get between department store and bike shop quality bikes, there's also a MASSIVE safety difference between them. You're risking doing some serious damage to yourself riding a Walmart/department store bike on a proper mountain bike trail.

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gardnerville Ranchos, NV, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

Mountain biking is what got myself and the girlfriend into exploring and now Overlanding. We started poking around a couple years ago and have recently ordered a hawk flatbed camper to go on our old 06 f350 named Tug. She loves a pretty view and a flowy trail. I like all kinds of riding, but really like backcountry freeride. Our mostly stock 08 Outback has taken us to and from some beautiful spots too. Snow skiing and mountain biking happen from the same camp sometimes. Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

FFDF6A78-62D9-407C-9417-6026E29CF9EA_1_201_a.jpeg826712F1-D9B3-4091-B607-89EB8816ABBC_1_100_o.jpeg3201AF67-A065-4BB1-BB52-F16DB65F92B9.jpeg

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gardnerville Ranchos, NV, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

I was just out today. Got a 2018 Stumpy. Want to upgrade, but my next one will be expensive. Going have to save up.View attachment 148926View attachment 148927
That’s still a sweet bike. I was looking for an e enduro style bike to get in more laps on some off the radar trails here. And wouldn’t ya know it, but Specialized is having a huge discount on their turbo kenevo I think? The bike is normally $7,550 and it’s now $4,300 ish I think? Growing up is overrated lol.

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

That’s still a sweet bike. I was looking for an e enduro style bike to get in more laps on some off the radar trails here. And wouldn’t ya know it, but Specialized is having a huge discount on their turbo kenevo I think? The bike is normally $7,550 and it’s now $4,300 ish I think? Growing up is overrated lol.
Growing up is definitely overrated! I will check that out. I was looking at the mid range Scott Ransom for $5500. I like the geometry of it.

The Stumpjumper is a nice trail bike, but we are descending faster and faster. I'm a bigger guy at 6"3 and 250. The Stumpjumper is not real slack. It has a steeper head tube angle. It keeps try to buck me over the bars on drops and steep chunky. My buddy has a Transition Patrol and he is way faster and is so much more stable descending. Alot of this is due to the head tube angle. It is more slack. I was always worried about climbing with a slacker bike, but watching him. An enduro style is definitely the way to go. Best of both worlds!

Reactions: Jay Smallen