Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I know the thread title was MTB, but I stopped riding conventional bikes in 1987, I ride folders, minivelo, cargo and recumbent cycles since 2000 been exclusive;y on a recumbent trike. I am planning on having at least two trikes with me in my AWD overland hatchback and my mini camper trailer (when I ever get one). I refuse to leave my bikes outside or on racks where they can be stolen so I will probably end up breaking them down for transport, which requires removing the wheels and collapsing booms and handlebars, or removing sub assemblies. I need to have them with me as I compete in Ultracycling events usually bikepacking races.
That sounds like a lot of work, but I respect your willingness to keep up with your biking. Stay with it!! Here is a pic of one of my overland trips single track. At the time I had the Jeep behind the pickup and my bike rack on the Jeep. It was nice. I slept in the pickup camper, enjoyed Jeeping and biking.20200626_185445.jpg20200419_162115.jpg

Attachments

U

UgotWheelz

That sounds like a lot of work, but I respect your willingness to keep up with your biking. Stay with it!! Here is a pic of one of my overland trips single track. At the time I had the Jeep behind the pickup and my bike rack on the Jeep. It was nice. I slept in the pickup camper, enjoyed Jeeping and biking.View attachment 169016
View attachment 169018
Cheers mate, Once you have done it for for a while teardown/buildup isnt that big of an issue. The trikes are actually very efficient and TDR route tested. But there not the best or right choice for every rider and every ride; I like the challenge.

U

UgotWheelz

I have a KB Voodoo rack, makes carrying my bikes easy, but have to watch for tree branches. View attachment 169029
Clever :) that could work for my trike. With the paired wheel axle removed it resembles a 2 wheel low racer and fits in a 20mm fork mount with a wheel mount other end. I worry about security and weather damage though.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Clever :) that could work for my trike. With the paired wheel axle removed it resembles a 2 wheel low racer and fits in a 20mm fork mount with a wheel mount other end. I worry about security and weather damage though.
Weather is always an issue. I chain up my bike to the rack with a big big chain :)

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gardnerville Ranchos, NV, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

Cheers mate, Once you have done it for for a while teardown/buildup isnt that big of an issue. The trikes are actually very efficient and TDR route tested. But there not the best or right choice for every rider and every ride; I like the challenge.
I think it's great that there's so many different things for us to have fun on pedaling around. Granted I like mountain bikes, but honestly if it pedals, I'm interested lol! Enjoy the ride . Here's a picture of me and Ollie playing bikes on one of our recent trips. I like the challenge too. Keeps me smiling and stoked. CFAF47DC-3ECB-45C1-8D0E-C6000B798070.jpeg

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

Super fun 3 day ride weekend with some friends that came up to Tahoe from Camarillo. Check out Freshie's in South lake if you're into some amazing Hawaiian style food. Their fish taco platters and bread pudding is not too shabby! They've been here forever too. Good people and good food.

A34F54C8-306B-42F8-ADF1-C1664EBC202C_1_201_a.jpegE8BFE3AE-DD58-4175-AFF5-F090E3B91EF9_1_201_a.jpegA154E17E-AA71-483A-B3AA-6E1F74E68570_1_201_a.jpeg47E40EC8-212E-4FC4-9981-300B40A61917.jpegStill waiting on suspension to show up, so we can get tires n wheels on... But Tug is headed to FWC next weekend for a flatbed and camper. So stoked it's hard to put into words lol! But we fabbed on a class 5 hitch last week, and it's working great. Tows heavy work loads again and bikes HAHAHA!! Priorities fellas lol. Enjoy the day!

Reactions: BchBum11511

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

Just finished up a 3-day weekend in NC. Rode Ocoee, DuPont Forest, and Bent Creek. Awesome trails!

View attachment 170800
View attachment 170801

with the obligatory flat
View attachment 170802

Talking about a Moab trip next year!
Looks like you guys had a great time! Even the flat lol! We did our obligatory flat on day 1. We're looking forward to getting out around St. George and the canyon areas in general in the next year or so. Just got an invite to go in mid October, but the rig won't quite be ready.

Reactions: BchBum11511