Mountain biking

• HTML tutorial

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

I've been in the bike industry for about 25 years, and Kyle & Kari basically hit the nail on the head. There's a massive difference in quality between what the mass merchants(Wal-Mart, Target, etc) and an independently owned bike shop will offer. In a bike shop, you'll find the brands that you mentioned-Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc.(Gary Fisher was a sub brand of Trek, but doesn't exist any longer). These bikes are built to much higher standards of quality, and they're assembled by trained bicycle mechanics, not just a part-time hourly employee with no training. There's a huge difference in safety between the two. Don't get me wrong, department store bikes exist for a reason, but I would never consider riding one on real dirt, mountain bike'ish type of terrain-they will not hold up.

There's also no support on a bike sale at a department store, where a bike shop will generally offer some sort of maintenance package, warranty, etc. They also do not come in wide variety of sizes at a mass merchant, so you won't get a bike that actually fits you. People come in a vast array of heights and sizes, so bikes should as well. You'll get properly fit through a bike shop, and ride out on a bike for you.

My suggestion - save up as much as you can and buy the bike that's going to offer you a comfortable, safe, enjoyable ride. Something else to remember, every major bike manufacturer makes bikes in all price ranges, starting at about $350 for an adult mountain bike, up to however many thousands of dollars you want to spend-the sky really is the limit!:) My point - all the manufacturers use components from the same suppliers, for the most part, to hit each of these price points. There's some exceptions to this, such as Trek-they manufacture a lot of their own components(wheels, tires, handlebars, etc-Trek is the largest bike brand in the world) Go with a major brand from an independently owned shop, and you'll be happy!
@sabjku

Thanks for the backup! Sabjku said a lot of good stuff that I feel could have not been said better, one big benefit I can attest to is when you wreck( which I do a lot when it comes to downhill riding). If you got and this an example Trek's warranty plan they offer for 3yrs or 5yrs and even if it is something small like the brakes being loose or chain stretched they will replace it free of charge along with tune ups of the sort. Over time the plan will more than pay for itself big time and that is worth going with a company like them over as you say "Walmart" lol.

Reactions: sabjku

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

I ended up with a Giant Trance and a Stance for my son. While they are expensive what you’ll find is there are very few bike manufacturers in the world. There are thousands of brands, but the MAJORITY of mainstream bicycles are made in Giant facilities. So for a more affordable full featured bike Giant gives you more bang for your buck. I lock out my rear shock all the time for street riding or flats, but you can’t beat full suspension. A trail bike would probably suit 95% of your needs based on description. View attachment 65561View attachment 65562
Love the Gray and Lime color scheme! love it lol

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Having first begun mountain biking in 1989 and still this being a passion today that takes to the trail two to three times a week, this well thought out post from sabjku is 100 percent correct and the way to go about this.
Oh man, mountain biking in 1989! That's right about when I started as well. It's so crazy to see how mountain bikes have progressed over the years, and even more impressive to see how the RIDING has progressed! Ever watch Red Bull Rampage? Wow!

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I started with a Rock Hopper in 1990 and lived about 20 minutes from Specialized’s HQ in Morgan Hill Ca. No shocks so fire roads would rattle your teeth apart. I remember the bumps were so bad my cool new G-Shock watch gave my wrist bruises above and below the watch. Hahaha old school!

Looked somewhat like this
A9CE73B5-59D3-41AE-8089-B8D0F0BA1B8E.jpeg

Last edited:

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

@sabjku

Thanks for the backup! Sabjku said a lot of good stuff that I feel could have not been said better, one big benefit I can attest to is when you wreck( which I do a lot when it comes to downhill riding). If you got and this an example Trek's warranty plan they offer for 3yrs or 5yrs and even if it is something small like the brakes being loose or chain stretched they will replace it free of charge along with tune ups of the sort. Over time the plan will more than pay for itself big time and that is worth going with a company like them over as you say "Walmart" lol.
Also very good points.

Just for clarity purposes, Tune-Ups and any sort of Service package, are always offered by the actual retailer, and it can vary from store to store. Also remember, the term Tune-Up can be defined differently by shops-some give you more, some give you less, so make sure you ask what it covers.

The expressed Warranty, is offered by the manufacturer(Trek, Specialized, etc) and most are fairly similar. They'll generally cover the frame, against manufacturers defects(crashes generally excluded but covered under what they refer to as a Crash Replacement Warranty-usually a deep discount off of the retail price) for as long as you own the bike, and mechanical parts are usually covered by that manufacturer(Shimano or Sram on a mountain bike) for a period of 1-3 years, depending on quality level.

Some retailers sell extended warranties on the mechanical parts, and are actually worth it on real high end bikes as those parts can be pricey!

Bottom line, visit a few of your local, independently owned bike shops-good old mom and pop stores. Go with the store that makes you feel comfortable, asks the right questions, and recommends something within your budget.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I started with a Rock Hopper in 1990 and lived about 20 minutes from Specialized’s HQ in Morgan Hill Ca. No shocks so fire roads would rattle your teeth apart. I remember the bumps were so bad my cool new G Shock watch gave my wrist bruises above and below the watch. Hahaha old school!
HAH! Now that is funny! I head out to Morgan Hill every year to see Specialized, as we've been a dealer since the mid 80's. Great company. Definitely THE most innovative in our industry, by far.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Also very good points.

Just for clarity purposes, Tune-Ups and any sort of Service package, are always offered by the actual retailer, and it can vary from store to store. Also remember, the term Tune-Up can be defined differently by shops-some give you more, some give you less, so make sure you ask what it covers.

The expressed Warranty, is offered by the manufacturer(Trek, Specialized, etc) and most are fairly similar. They'll generally cover the frame, against manufacturers defects(crashes generally excluded but covered under what they refer to as a Crash Replacement Warranty-usually a deep discount off of the retail price) for as long as you own the bike, and mechanical parts are usually covered by that manufacturer(Shimano or Sram on a mountain bike) for a period of 1-3 years, depending on quality level.

Some retailers sell extended warranties on the mechanical parts, and are actually worth it on real high end bikes as those parts can be pricey!

Bottom line, visit a few of your local, independently owned bike shops-good old mom and pop stores. Go with the store that makes you feel comfortable, asks the right questions, and recommends something within your budget.
@sabjku
DEF!

Thanks for all the great feedback, even though it really was meant for the originator of this forum lol.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Oh man, mountain biking in 1989! That's right about when I started as well. It's so crazy to see how mountain bikes have progressed over the years, and even more impressive to see how the RIDING has progressed! Ever watch Red Bull Rampage? Wow!
Seen it in person!!!
Went to Virgin a few years back w my son and camped at/rode Holy Guacamole.
I’ve been aMTBr since ‘97 and the progression has been amazing.
MTB was my start to overlanding. Needed a good rig to get to the good trails!!!

Last edited:

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

So here is the general advice that I always give.
Regardless of budget, always focus on the quality and condition of the frame first. Then suspension, brakes and lastly the drivetrain. All in that order. Drivetrains wear out and need replacement the most. Then brakes, then suspension and lastly the frame. The frame “is” the bike. All else can and will need to be replaced before the frame. Years down the road, if you have good parts now, then buy a new frame and swap the parts over. I’ve had MANY bikes over the years, sometimes new frames, used frames, but only twice a complete new bike. I still always end up w something that works great.

I’d say that for a bike that isn’t great but will still do 90% of the $7000 bike, you are looking at $2000 minimum new, $1000 used. If you like it, which you WILL, that’s the minimum where you won’t feel buy once cry once. You will still be very happy with what you have for a long time. Below that down to about $750 new, $500 used is super entry level where you’ll be wanting more, but your still on a real bike. Below that is a Box Store where it really isn’t safe to ride on dirt.

SVgarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
I started with a Rock Hopper in 1990 and lived about 20 minutes from Specialized’s HQ in Morgan Hill Ca. No shocks so fire roads would rattle your teeth apart. I remember the bumps were so bad my cool new G-Shock watch gave my wrist bruises above and below the watch. Hahaha old school!

View attachment 65596
I too had a Rockhopper. I bought mine back in 1985- it was probably first year they built it. I took it with me to school at San Luis Obispo and beat the crap out of that thing. I remember taking a trip up Mount Madonna. I tacoed the rear wheel on my way down!

That bike got rebuilt a couple of times, before I moved onto a Stumpjumper which went through a couple of iterations of parts too. Now I ride a Pivot Mach 5. Oooh! that dual suspension is soooo nice!!

Reactions: PapaDave and sabjku

gonzoy5

Rank V
Launch Member

Builder I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

View attachment 65596
HA! Had that same Hardrock in the back lol

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

Good new bikes are expensive. The new direct to consumer program that some manufactures are running is interesting and I guess time will tell how far it goes.

When I was in the market for a bike, I picked up a bare Santa Cruz frame on a year end close out then spent the winter buying parts as money allowed and assembled the bike in the spring. Was a lot of fun as everything was hand picked, and I got to see how it all went together. Plus I ended up paying about half what I would have otherwise.

Musubie

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Los Angeles
Good new bikes are expensive. The new direct to consumer program that some manufactures are running is interesting and I guess time will tell how far it goes.

When I was in the market for a bike, I picked up a bare Santa Cruz frame on a year end close out then spent the winter buying parts as money allowed and assembled the bike in the spring. Was a lot of fun as everything was hand picked, and I got to see how it all went together. Plus I ended up paying about half what I would have otherwise.
I like picking and putting on the parts on myself as well. You get a bespoke bike that is perfect for you and one that no one probably has.

I have actually started to update my Yeti Ultimate. Still 26" of course, and for now I'll stick with the rigid fork and naturally the Magura HS-33 brakes. But I'm switching to 1x11 using SRAM XX1 and Hope cranks and bottom bracket. I think I can get used to no front derailleur.

Some words of advice for all those who are putting bikes together using an existing frame and new parts: use your LBS to face BBs and headtubes and chase BB and derailleur threads if need be. Rust-proof steel frames from the inside when everything is off, apply Ti anti-seize on titanium bits, get a pair of torque wrenches (for all sorts of N-m ranges), and please read all instructions! My new Hope cranks and BB are interestingly put together. Beautiful British engineering that makes me think of Wallace and Gromit in that they are definitely not standard. There are online complaints about them creaking, which gets the owners to actually read the instructions for the first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyingnome

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I am no expert and a very amateur mountain biker but it’s something that has sparked my interest to get farther into. I just have a hard tail trek mountain bike but it works an its a bug that you cant get a enough of. Pretty easy to toss your bike in the pickup and go glad I found this thread. IMG_4171.JPGIMG_4136.JPGIMG_4135.JPGIMG_4130.JPGIMG_4131.JPG

Traveler I

Nice rides and pics of cross country. I enjoy my bikes also. I don't plan to upgrade anytime in the next several years for my cannondales. They are more than enough bike for me/friends.