Launch Member

Advocate II

Flathead Valley, Montana, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Browning
Member #

I use ViewRanger on a gps iPad works good. Just make sure you update the area you plan on going. I did my state and part of Canada due to my location . It swaps between my iPhone and iPad with out any problem for backing up previous trails and notes

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Overland 505

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
Looks like the MVUM maps are available from the store so you can load as many as you want for free. Maps that aren't in their store come with a limit of three.

Chad

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
If MVUM is the standard the NFS wants it to be, I think Gaia should support it. I am going to post to the Reddit link and encourage others to do so...

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
If MVUM is the standard the NFS wants it to be, I think Gaia should support it. I am going to post to the Reddit link and encourage others to do so...
I agree. Look for my post and add to it there. Andrew did respond that they are looking into it but no timetable. However, the MORE people that take the time to post the request the better our argument will be.

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

They're pretty common here in Montana. In general I think the ones here are pretty accurate, in my experience, the maps match the gating on the roads and it would be pretty hard to get on a closed road, even if you didn't know where you were going. I am sure that is different in some of desert areas where there are many more roads and trails though... My biggest complaint is that aside from the roads they have very little information. If I am in doubt on my route Ill double check on the MVUM, then switch to a map with more detail.
I use Avenza on both an iPhone and an android tablet and haven't had any issues. Its perfect for me, I can load my own maps on or use the MVUMs, drop pins, tracks etc...

Batmango66

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Indiana 930, New Haven, IN, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Likely a dead thread but... Search "topo maps" in iOS app store, used this past weekend in Manistee National Forest and they were very accurate, can record your track and have several different layers and a good legend. I used USDA topo on my galaxy tablet and they too were quite accurate with even more layer options and a bit better for recording your track. Oh and they're both free! haven't a clue as far as any other areas since this was the first time I used either one.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
I've not used Avanza but have really liked Offroad Atlas. It was only a buck when I got it and allows you to download unlimited MVUMs. The developer is great to work with and answers email in a few hours if you have any questions.
https://offroadatlas.org/

As some of you know... I have a bit of a sore spot when it comes to the issued MVUMs because the ones I've used in New Mexico are fairly inaccurate.
For example, the map shows a legal road, but the entrance has been blocked for years with a berm. Or, in other instances are some perfectly good trails that aren't on the map, but are obviously open for use (met forest rangers on them many times). So use them with a grain of salt! It makes it tough on us who want to tread lightly, and legally. Maybe it's just a New Mexico thing...
Does the off road atlas have the paved roads as well?