Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs)

• HTML tutorial

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

They're great. I used them a lot before downloading the Avenza Maps app for my phone. Now I use the digital versions of them and stitch them together in collections so they are all geo-referenced and automatically switches between pdfs without me having to hunt around. From what I gathered, MVUMs seem to be more of a California thing. I haven't found nearly as many of them in other states.

Reactions: Overland 505

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

They are pretty much a western US thing. The Gila NF here in NM is the latest to come out. It goes into effect January 1. We've lost a lot of good trails because of them. Avenza is great with MVUMs.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
You can import these maps into Gaia but it takes a bit of effort and some additional software. PDF Maps is great for viewing but I do not like the tracking feature. I am trying to get Gaia to make these an available layer. If folks want to know the steps to convert the maps to usable tiles let me know.

And the original poster is correct. These are becoming the law of the land.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Any reason why some of the trails were lost?
The forest service does the same here in South Dakota so the trails can regrow. They remove them for a few years and then bring back a few that were dormant. Also they remove trails if they find endangered plants/animals near them. We lost a decent section of trails last year due to an endangered flower.

Reactions: Overland 505

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I use MVUMs along with Gaia when I head on trails. Each year in South Dakota, the MVUMs are updated so they are very accurate about trail openings and closings as well as hunting and restrictions.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I wish Gaia had a way to get the MVUMs into the app. I use Avenza to view the maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have suggested it in the past. I would encourage anyone who would like to see this to comment on this Reddit post on the Gaia support site.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I used MVUMs for the first time this Fall. @BEAR and I did a trip through Mendocino National Forest and we had a set printed based on our route. At camp, we looked for different tracks that would join back to our planned course. We did make a wrong turn that quickly became the highlight of the trip.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
Avenza changed and now charges $30 a year if you want to download more than 3 maps at a time.

Chad

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
Apple. When is the last time you updated the app? Don't update it if you haven't.

Chad

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I've not used Avanza but have really liked Offroad Atlas. It was only a buck when I got it and allows you to download unlimited MVUMs. The developer is great to work with and answers email in a few hours if you have any questions.
https://offroadatlas.org/

As some of you know... I have a bit of a sore spot when it comes to the issued MVUMs because the ones I've used in New Mexico are fairly inaccurate.
For example, the map shows a legal road, but the entrance has been blocked for years with a berm. Or, in other instances are some perfectly good trails that aren't on the map, but are obviously open for use (met forest rangers on them many times). So use them with a grain of salt! It makes it tough on us who want to tread lightly, and legally. Maybe it's just a New Mexico thing...