Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I’ve had a harbor freight one for 7 years and it’s always worked great , never blown a fuse or anything . it’s starting to wear out though becasue it’s taking longer to fill and getting louder .

Reactions: ABerte

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

I have the SmittyBilt 2781. It fits under my back seat, so it's small enough to keep in my truck full time. I've used it several times on 33" tires going from as low as 15psi back to 60psi, takes maybe 5 minutes per tire. I wasn't clocking it, but it was done way faster than I expected. They have 2 models, one is ~2.5cfm, mine (the 2781) is 5.7cfm.

My only real issue with it is how hot some of the fittings get, I let it cool off for a couple minutes before I pack it away just to make sure I don't melt a hole in the plastic hose. I don't think this is a problem exclusive to this compressor, though.
I have the same compressor and, I agree, it works much faster than I expected and the price isn’t bad. Size wise aren’t most of them pretty similar?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have a Viair 88p. It's quite small and works fast enough for me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***This model***. It also works on up to a 34" tire. I run 285x75x16 tires, which are approx a 33" tire. The original OEM tire was a 245x75x16. The Vivair 88P is pretty compact for it's ability. It gets good reviews for it's price range. If your familiar with the dimensions of a USA military 200 400 round ammo can, the 88P fits in it, along with a separate extension hose you can purchase, while also allowing some small accessories. This combination makes for a compact and protected case, along with being waterproof.

The extension hose is in addition to the units 6ft hose, and power cord. I purchased it to reach from the trucks under hood battery, all the way back to my tandem wheeled 22 ft trailer. My truck is a extra cab/SB, so it is a reach. the accessories are like a.....psi gauge, plugs etc

Last edited:
Reactions: AirstreamNJeep

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I have the Air Armor M240. I‘m sure it is not considered compact. However, the hose, cord, and accessories all store inside the metal can. I used it for the first time on my last trip. I don’t have big tires. However, I was still surprised how fast I was able to add 12-14 psi to four tires. I think the whole process took under 10 minutes, including cleanup. I’m curious if this is just a repackaged unit. If so, what unit?

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

OVRLNDCBR

Rank V

Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

I ran the ARB portable one for a while, ended up with a tub mounted setup but the ARB never failed in the summer heat of the Aussie outback.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Run the ARB CKMA12 since some years now. Reliable and comparable small in size. Fits in my seat box. The compressor supplies the lockers with air. In addition I have installed two standard workshop air supplies, a 2.5 gallons/ 9.5 liter air pressure tank and a mechanical manometer. I will now add a shut-off valve to separate the air supply part from the locker actuation, because I do not need the air pressure tank regularly.

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I have a Viair 88p. It takes approximately 3 minutes to air up one of my 275/65R18 Coopers from 18psi to 35psi.

Pros: compact, inexpensive, the air hose and power leads are very long

cons: gets very hot in operation, built-in temp gauge reads about +6psi

Some of the guys I tend to run with give me shit for it being a "small" compressor but, it works. If it ever craps out, I'll look into getting something beefier.

Reactions: Desert Runner

DadJokes

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

KY
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Kil
Service Branch
US Air Force
After researching a lot of options and balancing cost, portability between vehicles, removal when not on a trip, and airing up speed, I just ordered the Viair 440P. Thing is, I figured if I don’t like it, it’s popular enough to be able to quickly sell and recoup a good portion of the cost.

Reactions: MMc and El-Dracho