US West Mormon Emigrant Trail Snow Day *if there’s snow!

• HTML tutorial

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

The last place we stopped and turned around was pretty close to the top. It was nice meeting you guys, we’ll see you on the next one.
Maybe give people a heads up when they should use it, everyone says dont use it without a lic so i just listened in.

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
The last place we stopped and turned around was pretty close to the top. It was nice meeting you guys, we’ll see you on the next one.
Maybe give people a heads up when they should use it, everyone says dont use it without a lic so i just listened in.
If anybody is in distress or see someone in distress, using your radio helps everybody get on the same page on solving the problem as quickly and safe as possible. That is our only form of communication most of time off road and is a definite MUST have.

Reactions: AzzyRnr

Gx460_Will

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Che
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OFX

TheRebelTesh

Rank IV

Advocate III

California
First Name
Tesh
Last Name
Overland
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6CKN
Man what a trip! I have nearly 50GB of photo/video between the Dashcam / Drone / Phone / Chest cam - I'll hopefully get something hyperlapsed together! Here's a snippet of photos! If anyone's

@Motomikeca , Thanks! will post updates for sure, truck goes to Folsom Lake CDJR tomorrow, let's see what goes on. I clipped a snipped of video of the EPS Steering Rack Failure here, check it out, pretty wild. and here's a thread I'll be maintaining: (the full 5thGenRams Thread)

@Nikosan , thank you sir for keeping behind me, great motivation to get that truck off the hill! + thanks to the gents in the Taco and Jeep ahead of me (don't recall screennames), you guys were great

@BettyWhiteOneSeven + Frederico and the pups, great trip! I'm looking forward to the next one, ordering a kinetic rope asap haha.

@emmanuelb and @DSC_OFF , glad we could hang, great photos! that Range was unstoppable!

I probably missed someone by screenname, but thanks to all!

After 30+ minutes of snow without power steering, my arms were JELLO. I'd do it again haha, great day.

1615844132645.png

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
Man what a trip! I have nearly 50GB of photo/video between the Dashcam / Drone / Phone / Chest cam - I'll hopefully get something hyperlapsed together! Here's a snippet of photos! If anyone's

@Motomikeca , Thanks! will post updates for sure, truck goes to Folsom Lake CDJR tomorrow, let's see what goes on. I clipped a snipped of video of the EPS Steering Rack Failure here, check it out, pretty wild. and here's a thread I'll be maintaining: (the full 5thGenRams Thread)

@Nikosan , thank you sir for keeping behind me, great motivation to get that truck off the hill! + thanks to the gents in the Taco and Jeep ahead of me (don't recall screennames), you guys were great

@BettyWhiteOneSeven + Frederico and the pups, great trip! I'm looking forward to the next one, ordering a kinetic rope asap haha.

@emmanuelb and @DSC_OFF , glad we could hang, great photos! that Range was unstoppable!

After 30+ minutes of snow without power steering, my arms were JELLO. I'd do it again haha, great day.

View attachment 191272
Awesome footage, I look forward to seeing more especially that 360 cam.

Reactions: AzzyRnr and Ray O

Gx460_Will

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Che
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OFX

View attachment 191272
Man, I would love to see the drone footage

TheRebelTesh

Rank IV

Advocate III

California
First Name
Tesh
Last Name
Overland
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6CKN
Man, I would love to see the drone footage
I had such a hard time getting white balance correct, it was so bright out there even with an ND filter on the cam. I'm definitely going to play with it more to see what I can do for better video on the next trip! Editing this week for sure, I'll cherry pick the better clips

TheRebelTesh

Rank IV

Advocate III

California
First Name
Tesh
Last Name
Overland
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6CKN
Definitely something to roll into the next meet; basic radio guidelines, whether Ham or FRS/GMRS; there's some good trail tips learned from this trip, much of this was done well, plenty to learn:
  • Everyone should have a radio and check in on the drivers meeting with a radio check
  • On the trail identify who's lead - middle - end
  • If you're the one on the 'bend' with rigs ahead and behind, act as a repeater if you hear someone remark that they couldn't hear
  • If you're stuck, call out
  • If you see someone stuck, call out, arrange help or be the help
  • Carry your radio charger / extra batteries (luckily my radio died on the drive home)
I'm a Ham myself and don't condone illegal use of Ham frequencies, but if you're stuck, no one will fault you for calling out, for your own safety and that of others who are nearby, passing or helping.

Ray O

Rank VI

Traveler III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Oyarzun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NQE

View attachment 191272
Nice pictures

Reactions: TheRebelTesh

TheRebelTesh

Rank IV

Advocate III

California
First Name
Tesh
Last Name
Overland
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6CKN
How did your power steering go out?
On the return, in fact when we were turning around at the top, the wheel locked in full lock to the right when making a 3point turn ... seemed odd but I guessed it was traction control or just something binding...

Then after that deep snow bend, maybe 1-200yds later(?) It locked again at the 2 oclock position and didn't let go. I braked before sliding into the powder and the dash litup with 'Power Steering not available' and a variety of related lights.

Gear grinding ensued when barely torquing the steering wheel - a half dozen restarts and it quit altogether, at least allowing me to get home, but no power steering

@Motomikeca - the trucks at Folsom CDJR and techs pulled the code C2217-00 C2217 Ram - Electric Power Steering Module Internal which they summarized as 'Power Steering Pump Overheat' + EPS Module Failure (I think Ray mentioned poor electrical connections on the rack). So they've ordered a Rack & Pinion as the module assembly is all one unit... no ETA on delivery, I've already got a case # setup with FCA as well.

Reactions: BCMoto and Ray O

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Wow I didnt know you were having trouble like that, when I was headed down with the disco in front of I lost sight of ray, by that time I was the tail of the group. I hope we don't get separated next time either

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
How did your power steering go out?
On the return, in fact when we were turning around at the top, the wheel locked in full lock to the right when making a 3point turn ... seemed odd but I guessed it was traction control or just something binding...

Then after that deep snow bend, maybe 1-200yds later(?) It locked again at the 2 oclock position and didn't let go. I braked before sliding into the powder and the dash litup with 'Power Steering not available' and a variety of related lights.

Gear grinding ensued when barely torquing the steering wheel - a half dozen restarts and it quit altogether, at least allowing me to get home, but no power steering

@Motomikeca - the trucks at Folsom CDJR and techs pulled the code C2217-00 C2217 Ram - Electric Power Steering Module Internal which they summarized as 'Power Steering Pump Overheat' + EPS Module Failure (I think Ray mentioned poor electrical connections on the rack). So they've ordered a Rack & Pinion as the module assembly is all one unit... no ETA on delivery, I've already got a case # setup with FCA as well.
I’m glad your still under warranty and getting it token care of otherwise I bet that rack isn’t cheap. Hopefully it’s not a habitual issue while off roading, I guess we will just have to find out the next go round. Let us know when you are back in action.

TheRebelTesh

Rank IV

Advocate III

California
First Name
Tesh
Last Name
Overland
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6CKN
@BCMoto - yeah it was wild - I had Nikosan and two others tag along thankfully, ended up airing up when Tony and Emmanuel made it down.

@Motomikeca yeah tell me about it! glad I decided to shake out the truck already; been meaning to go to Prairie City to do that, but the snow is easier on scrapes haha. Got a call today, steering rack found in stock in Texas, so it's a matter of UPS and Labor; not sure still on any ETA though.

TheRebelTesh

Rank IV

Advocate III

California
First Name
Tesh
Last Name
Overland
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6CKN
The Rebel is back! (For now)

It's miraculous that the parts were actually available and apparently replacement is nearly a bolt in/out with little fuss - I'll have to go back for a rear window + frame replacement (cracked bakelite issue which plagues this bodystyle apparently)

I'll be headed to the Latrobe/Prairie City run this weekend to shake out the rack - gotta make sure they tigtened everything!

Thanks again to this crew for helping me break in the truck, lots of ideas I'm working on before the next run.

Reactions: Neuvik and AzzyRnr

Rids93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Rid
Last Name
Sumarna
Member #

The Rebel is back! (For now)

It's miraculous that the parts were actually available and apparently replacement is nearly a bolt in/out with little fuss - I'll have to go back for a rear window + frame replacement (cracked bakelite issue which plagues this bodystyle apparently)

I'll be headed to the Latrobe/Prairie City run this weekend to shake out the rack - gotta make sure they tigtened everything!

Thanks again to this crew for helping me break in the truck, lots of ideas I'm working on before the next run.
Trade it in for a Toyota?

• Angry
Reactions: Neuvik and AzzyRnr