Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
This looks like it was a fantastic trip!

I plan on traveling Mojave Road with a couple of other rigs next week. We plan on taking 5 days or so to travel the trail East to West on a slow pace. Could any of you provide some insight to trail conditions and things we might need to be aware of? Reading through the thread, it seems that a stock 4x4s and even prerunners can handle the trail. I'm particularly concerned about the water crossing, how the more stock vehicles handled this feature, and whether or not diff breathers are a hard requirement. I saw that you could bypass this by hopping onto the highway, but haven't been able to confirm this.

For reference, the vehicles on the trip will be:
1997 FZJ80 - Locked, but stock (even the tires) - Novice Driver
1996 Taco 4x4 - Stock with heavy duty leaf springs - Novice Driver
1996? FZJ80 - Center lock only, 33 inch BFG AT, w/camper trailer - Experienced Driver

Any insight or information that you guys would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.
It should still be good time to go, the weather issue always seems to be the wind.
As for the vehicles you have, all will be fine, I wouldn't worry about diff breathers too much, the 80s are well-equipped and the taco will be OK. My son had his 4runner and was concerned about it, we checked after the water crossing and there was no sign of water in the oil.

I would recommend a couple things to make it safer and fun.
- 2way radios of some kind for group comms
- a good map of the area and/or a gps that you can take advantage of a .gpx file.

You'll come to Watson wash near the Bert Smith rock house with an intimidating downhill section, take a deep breath and drive it! You can do it with any of the three rigs you have no problem, if you have a spotter out front to guide you down.

You can go around the water crossing but it's a long way around. You'd have to backtrack to Basin road which leaves the wash just before Afton canyon about 1/4 mile east of the railroad undercrossing. I've never taken that but I've mapped it out just in case.

G'luck! Dan

PS thanks for the 1000 posts! Not sure what that means but definitely a first for me.

Sent from my SM-T350 using OB Talk mobile app

Mark2Mister2

Rank III

Enthusiast II

San Mateo
It should still be good time to go, the weather issue always seems to be the wind.
As for the vehicles you have, all will be fine, I wouldn't worry about diff breathers too much, the 80s are well-equipped and the taco will be OK. My son had his 4runner and was concerned about it, we checked after the water crossing and there was no sign of water in the oil.

I would recommend a couple things to make it safer and fun.
- 2way radios of some kind for group comms
- a good map of the area and/or a gps that you can take advantage of a .gpx file.

You'll come to Watson wash near the Bert Smith rock house with an intimidating downhill section, take a deep breath and drive it! You can do it with any of the three rigs you have no problem, if you have a spotter out front to guide you down.

You can go around the water crossing but it's a long way around. You'd have to backtrack to Basin road which leaves the wash just before Afton canyon about 1/4 mile east of the railroad undercrossing. I've never taken that but I've mapped it out just in case.

G'luck! Dan

PS thanks for the 1000 posts! Not sure what that means but definitely a first for me.

Sent from my SM-T350 using OB Talk mobile app
Thanks Dan! That's really reassuring to hear.

We've all got CB's and have several GPX files with possible routes mapped. I saw a few pictures of the down hill section on OB's Instagram account. It looks like a doozy!

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

Did this patch get made? I did Mojave a few days before you guys due to a wedding. But it would make an awesome addition to my 4RUNNER.

Malcolm

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Hey everyone!

The first part of the Mojave Road video is up! A good chance to see some of the shenanigans you may not have experienced!

If anyone who paid the permit fee did not get a patch, info@overlandbound.com

OB#0000 down for the count! ...or is it?

Tune in to Part 2 to find out just how much mud we need to rub on it to get it back on the trail.

Lot of fun to watch, it takes a community to make an awesome trip like this happen.

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Hello hello! I have a friendly PSA regarding photos and posting and stuff.

Please be sure to credit the photographer and tag them when sharing on social, especially with @BazzaJ images. (@overlandbaz on IG) We are super fortunate to have his time and talent working for Overland Bound, and part of our agreement is we always credit and tag his work.

Because he's rad, and we want the whole overlanding world to know. :smile:

I super miss you all, and I miss the sound of the trail beneath our tires, and the voice around the campfire!

Let's explore and chill soon.

xoxo

C

PS - I do not miss the sound of a radiator blowing up.

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

A Week after y'all ran the Mojave, I tried to make the trip from the Avi to Fort Piute, I had to hit the road at US 95 however. My Alternator died, which meant I had JUST enough charge on my batteries to limp her home. I also damaged my Power Steering Gearbox, and stripped out a track bar bushing. Fortunately I have most of the problems fixed, but dang. For being such an "easy" trail, it really likes to claim casualties, haha

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR

xoxo

C

But that heartfelt gasp at that moment is the real deal...

A Week after y'all ran the Mojave, I tried to make the trip from the Avi to Fort Piute, I had to hit the road at US 95 however. My Alternator died, which meant I had JUST enough charge on my batteries to limp her home. I also damaged my Power Steering Gearbox, and stripped out a track bar bushing. Fortunately I have most of the problems fixed, but dang. For being such an "easy" trail, it really likes to claim casualties, haha

It's true, for an "easy" trail, it can take it's toll. When I ran in January, I broke my exhaust in two before the dry lake.
This trip, a drive belt pulley grenaded, took out my A/C belt, the plastic radiator fan and some other bits.

Take this trail lightly at your own peril! It's likely to chew you up and spit you out!

Dan

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

It's true, for an "easy" trail, it can take it's toll. When I ran in January, I broke my exhaust in two before the dry lake.
This trip, a drive belt pulley grenaded, took out my A/C belt, the plastic radiator fan and some other bits.

Take this trail lightly at your own peril! It's likely to chew you up and spit you out!

Dan
Did that happen on the way home Dan? That's nuts. I guess I should count myself as lucky that I got to the trail and home without incident.

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A

Dan
@fj80toyman We could probably start a thread on just the casualties!

Fakawi Tribe

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Fresno, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Aguirre
Member #

Hello hello! I have a friendly PSA regarding photos and posting and stuff.

Please be sure to credit the photographer and tag them when sharing on social, especially with @BazzaJ images. (@overlandbaz on IG) We are super fortunate to have his time and talent working for Overland Bound, and part of our agreement is we always credit and tag his work.

Because he's rad, and we want the whole overlanding world to know. :smile:

I super miss you all, and I miss the sound of the trail beneath our tires, and the voice around the campfire!

xoxo

C

Guilty...Love that guy Baz! I am still learning...I'm taking a social media class at Overland Expo.