Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Haasnoot
Member #

Working on a M1102 trailer build and trying to figure out a good way to mount propane tanks. Modeled these after the Power Tank brand style mounts. Planning to cut the flat pattern on my CNC plasma with a few stitch welds once everything is bent. Tracking down some T-bolt clamps the right size.

Has anyone used these style mounts before? If so should I be planning to add some vibration isolation when mounting to the trailer, or has rigid mounting worked for you?

Two tanks might be overkill but generally when camping with friends I'm assumed to be the camp cook, combined with a propane water heater I'm not sure how long a single tank will last.

Attachments

WPRountree

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Statham, Oconee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
Rountree
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TRG
I don’t personally have a mount like this but I have done some research into it back when I had my JK! I have seen a few in person where they have used door knob stops/wall stops mounted on the inside to reduce on vibration. You can get them for like $3 each and just bolt them on.

Attachments

Reactions: EXPO_D1

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I installed the propane tank recently and didn’t account for any vibration. Seems pretty solid where it is. I still have to take it out with the tank on to see how it does.

D83C47FE-0061-4780-8271-E4DBE21634F7.jpeg

Reactions: AntWookie

untraversed

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Julian, Guilford County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Service Branch
Army & Air Force
Working on a M1102 trailer build and trying to figure out a good way to mount propane tanks. Modeled these after the Power Tank brand style mounts. Planning to cut the flat pattern on my CNC plasma with a few stitch welds once everything is bent. Tracking down some T-bolt clamps the right size.

Has anyone used these style mounts before? If so should I be planning to add some vibration isolation when mounting to the trailer, or has rigid mounting worked for you?

Two tanks might be overkill but generally when camping with friends I'm assumed to be the camp cook, combined with a propane water heater I'm not sure how long a single tank will last.
I have something similar I bought from Expedition Essentials. It came with rubber cushioning (for lack of a better term). I've been really happy with it...I think your idea for a buffer definitely wouldn't hurt.

Attachments

Phillysteak

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Haasnoot
Member #

@County_One_Ten - Good tip, thank you! I was going to possibly use something like these, not too bad on the price at $1.80ea.

@RoarinRow - Nice looking mount! How are you liking those rotopax fuel tanks? I'm trying to decide between using those larger rotopax or going with a few jerry cans.

@tony453rd - Seeing your tank mount made me think that I might want to add some form of lock. I know they only keep the honest people out but it's still a good idea.

untraversed

Rank V

Enthusiast I

First Name
Tony
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Service Branch
Army & Air Force
@County_One_Ten - Good tip, thank you! I was going to possibly use something like these, not too bad on the price at $1.80ea.

@RoarinRow - Nice looking mount! How are you liking those rotopax fuel tanks? I'm trying to decide between using those larger rotopax or going with a few jerry cans.

@tony453rd - Seeing your tank mount made me think that I might want to add some form of lock. I know they only keep the honest people out but it's still a good idea.
Actually, expedition essentials amount comes with an integrated lock :)

Reactions: Jeff@ExE

DirtySox

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tallahassee, Florida
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Mabry
Member #

I have something similar I bought from Expedition Essentials. It came with rubber cushioning (for lack of a better term). I've been really happy with it...I think your idea for a buffer definitely wouldn't hurt.
Do you have any issues closing and locking your expedition essentials mount? I find it very difficult to do by myself.

untraversed

Rank V

Enthusiast I

First Name
Tony
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Service Branch
Army & Air Force
Do you have any issues closing and locking your expedition essentials mount? I find it very difficult to do by myself.
Sorry for the delay... we're on the road (and off) again. It is a bit difficult, honestly. I thought maybe it was because I'm using the adapter for the smaller bottle....and maybe I didn't have it adjusted right...but maybe it's not me

Reactions: DirtySox