First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@Aeroscout

The 10 AM start made me wonder if you were planning to go Thursday and just depart early Friday.

Aeroscout

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

Denver, CO
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Kennard
Member #

Lori and I will likely head out Thursday after work, stop part way and do Arches on Friday.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
My tentative plan is to depart Thursday afternoon, camp south of Junction and arriving to Moab fairly early Friday morning.

Returning Monday..

gino

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder County, CO, USA
First Name
Gino
Last Name
Zahnd
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JGE
Hey folks - is there more detail somewhere? For example, is there a basecamp, or will the group be camping in a different spot each night? If the detail is somewhere and I’m not finding it, I apologize.

Also, we don’t have GMRS radios, but do have ham.

Thanks.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@gino

Base camp to be secured and posted Thursday.

There are usually enough GMRS handhelds around for you to borrow. There are a couple hams, but GMRS is the easiest to get everyone on the same page.

We have a lot of chatter going on Telegram is why you don't see it here.

Reactions: Aeroscout

gino

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder County, CO, USA
First Name
Gino
Last Name
Zahnd
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JGE
Ah, ok. Telegram isn’t something I use. Didn’t realize OB is Telegram-based now. :-)

Re: basecamp, I’d like to know what the situation might look like, because it’ll influence what vehicle(s) I bring, if we end up going. Thanks.

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Ah, ok. Telegram isn’t something I use. Didn’t realize OB is Telegram-based now. :-)

Re: basecamp, I’d like to know what the situation might look like, because it’ll influence what vehicle(s) I bring, if we end up going. Thanks.
@Aeroscout is taking his trailer if that helps (Overland Trailers)

@Neal A. Tew and I will probably head out Sunday afternoon to start Rim Rocker and plan to be in Montrose, CO by Monday afternoon. Otherwise, it will be all base camping.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

Yeah, we use Telegram a lot in CO. Some areas use WhatsApp and OB Mgmt uses Slack. Personally I'd like a similar messaging function built into OB1 and get rid of all the extras.....maybe one day. We'll get you an invite to the telegram groups if you're interested.

I'm guessing we will end up in the BLM area north of town which is basically dirt roads except for the pull offs. This is @Aeroscout s deal, however, so I don't want to step on any toes. I just wanted to get you a quick response since it sounded like you were planning an effort to join.

Reactions: gino

Aeroscout

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

Denver, CO
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Kennard
Member #

Good morning Gino. I see Neal and John have answered your questions. I've pasted the trip details here (also available on the main page of the RP) and hope this answers any others you might have. Let me know if it doesn't.

Hope to see you there!

Mix of main attractions (Arches National Park) and moderate trails the balance of the trip.
Here’s the current thinking. Subject to change depending on the final RSVP list.

Friday Morning - Secure Campsite (some of us will be heading out on Thursday to do this. We will likely end up at the second choice since the first is too small.).

1st choice camping - John Recommended this spot.
Near Bride arch
38°36'42.6"N 109°39'59.8"W

2nd Choice
Willow Springs Road - John and Neal have camped in this area.
38.6935062,-109.6732491
3rd Choice

Where Lori and I camped. Not a great deal of scenery, but lots of options if we are stuck.
38.6935062,-109.6732491

Friday After camp setup
Hurrah Pass - Chicken Corners - easy and moderate difficulty. About 5.5 hours total time.

Saturday
Fins and Things. Moderate - Difficult. About 4 hours. For those adventurous enough, option to do instead or tack on Hells Revenge. Difficult to Severe. About 4 hours.

Sunday
Since Many folks are leaving on Sunday, maybe we do Arches National Park - two trails that could be run are Eye of the Whale, followed by Tower Arch. Total of 3 hours I think. Both are moderate. For the balance of the day, we explore the touristy sites. Those that are leaving could continue north out of the park to I70.

Monday
Depart for home along 128 to Dewey Road to I70