Mitsubishi Outlander Sport light over land build

• HTML tutorial
Nice project, well executed. Keep looking at an earlier model Outlander for myself as an expedition/camping set up. Keep thinking full size just encourages me to carry too much(beyond option for fuel/water) and in reality how long would i truly end up "off grid". Light & agile is the future! Will definitely watch this continue to develop!

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

Rlee5882

Rank 0

Traveler I

Love watching your build. Follow you on Instagram too. Wondered how the polyurethane spacers are holding up. I have some just haven't had time to put them in. Now wondering if they will hold up

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Love watching your build. Follow you on Instagram too. Wondered how the polyurethane spacers are holding up. I have some just haven't had time to put them in. Now wondering if they will hold up
Hey man. Haven’t posted on Instagram lately. Been insanely busy. They’re doing great. My ride height is the same as before. I check the top but torque on them every so often and still spot on. No complaints on them!

steve20286

Rank 0

Contributor I

Perth WA, Australia
First Name
steve
Last Name
langf
Love the build, i bought a 2012 Outlander ZH (4wd XLS 7 seat) a week ago (below image everything is stock) and have been trawling the internet to find ways to mod it for off road to make it look less soccer mum and more beast so happy i found your build.

Mods done:
-35mm lift, Dobinson springs
-Larger tyres Cooper Discoverer-M-S-225-75R16

Mods to do:
-Black rims (might plastic dip current ones)
-Nudge bar (but would love a custom build like your pics) Outlander 63mm NudgeBar or Outlander 76mm NudgeBar
-Decals/partial wrap (low priority)

Input and advice welcome!

By the way this is my first real car previously i had a Hyundai Getz. So please go easy on me i have never done any car upgrades or modifications before.

Stock on left (215mm clearance) and 35mm lift and larger tyres right (265mm clearance)

2012 Outlander ZH.jpg CFC7CBF0-8148-47D2-8FA3-2C230643D063.jpeg

Last edited:

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Love the build, i bought a 2012 Outlander ZH (4wd XLS 7 seat) a week ago (below image everything is stock) and have been trawling the internet to find ways to mod it for off road to make it look less soccer mum and more beast so happy i found your build.

Mods i want to do:
-30mm lift (parts on the way) Dobinson springs This is the only lift springs i could find in Australia
-Larger tyres (Current Cooper Discoverer-AT3-215-70-R16. stock size) Max legal increase 50mm in diameter Cooper Discoverer-M-S-235-75R16 not sure if they will rub even with the 30mm lift, and can't find anyone else with this size fitted or Cooper Discoverer-M-S-225-75R16 but i really want the additional clearance the larger tires would give me.
-Black rims (might plastic dip current ones)
-Roof top tent (already acquired)
-Nudge bar (but would love a custom build like your pics) Outlander 63mm NudgeBar or Outlander 76mm NudgeBar
-Decals/partial wrap (low priority)

Input and advice welcome!

By the way this is my first real car previously i had a Hyundai Getz. So please go easy on me i have never done any car upgrades or modifications before.

View attachment 105595
Hey mate! Welcome to the forum and nice Mitsu! I always liked those. They look good when they’re all beefy!

I have heard good things about Dobinson lifts but no first hand experience. I have a 40mm strut spacer lift. Another option is a 30mm spring kit from H&R. I can’t recall the model number but should fit your rig too.

I have 235/75-15 tires and 1.5” wheel spacer AND an excessive amount of body material removed and have a verrrrrry slight rub. Before the lift I did my over fenders and the tires would have for sure rubbed. Your setup may be different then what u experienced.

Maybe you can find someone with a setup like that and swap tires for a trial run?

I ended up doing full bumpers as I had all the material and tools at my shop. Plus, I hit a deer and needed to get the car fixed ASAP [emoji13]

Good luck on the build and congrats!

Reactions: steve20286

steve20286

Rank 0

Contributor I

Perth WA, Australia
First Name
steve
Last Name
langf
I really wanted to do a front bumper like yours, but I had a look at the laws in Australia and they would require permits for modifications and inspection by the state. :confused:

Do you require anything like that in America?

Also how long did it take to make your front bumper?

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
I really wanted to do a front bumper like yours, but I had a look at the laws in Australia and they would require permits for modifications and inspection by the state. :confused:

Do you require anything like that in America?

Also how long did it take to make your front bumper?
Oh bummer! That sucks. Time to get that permit then I suppose [emoji51] No, anyone can slap anything to their car here pretty much lol. I suppose as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone...

The concept of the bumper took about a day. It’s kind of been an on going thing. If I had to re do it I could probably bang it on in about 2-3 days [emoji106] I do have plans in the future to re do the rear as I removed my ladder and tire carrier.

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
So I have been doing a lot of reading on the Subaru forums and hoping some of you with more experience can help me out with this!

I plan on doing more lift eventually and trying to come up with some ideas. As of now my rig is only front wheel drive. So makes dealing with the rear pretty simple.

I plan on the front to make a lower strut lift brackets. Should get the front up an extra 1.5” or so along with proper camber adjustments.

Now for the rear. I was thinking of doing a subframe spacer setup along with the proper trailing arm spacers. There seems to be a lot of info on this for Subaru’s and other makes/models which I have been reading over.

My main question is... will I need longer rear struts then? I have a 40mm spacer lift already but just not sure if the struts will need to be swapped out with more travel, etc...

I can’t seem to find much info on that on the web. Most of the kits for sale have no mention of this so was curious.

Thanks to all who can lend some info!