South Mississippi
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Summ
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Trying to find a small mild jeep or overlanding club in Central or South Mississippi. It's really rare to find many people who are into the jeep riding, light trail riding and overlanding.

It's all a lot of trash rednecks with big trucks on 48" boggers just wanting to go to the mug bogs, look at drunk girls and get wasted. Not my thing.

I love taking my jeep down the gravel roads, and down the little county trails to the river. Drop off my kayak do some fishing and camping. But be nice to have a partner sometimes.

RicksAdventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Member #

I'm in the Hattiesburg area. I'm like you Josh, not a fan of the rednecks. I just want to do some light offroading, some camping, and lots of Forest service trails.

I just hit up the Homochitto National Forest over near Natchez this past weekend. There are some good spots there. I grew up in and around Desoto, and it's not too bad either.

I've only been up to Oxford once John(college tour), what's this Hill Country Trail?

I haven't got my land cruiser fully outfitted, but it can handle whatever. Lemme know if either of you guys wanna go sometime, and I'll try to juggle work. It's SO hard to find people into Overlanding around here.

Reactions: Matang

JohnO38

Rank 0

Contributor I

I found the Hill Country Trail on www.transamtrail.com/mississippi-hill-country-loop/. Looks like they put a tail together on a map which is Gravel County Roads that start around Batesville and makes a loop down toward Glucksdt, MS then back up North.

Reactions: Big Easy Overland

RicksAdventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Member #

John, i just checked out that page, and it looks like that trail is for a dual sport motorcycle. But it's also public roads, so that'd be good for 4x4s in theory, right?
Also, what do you drive? How far along is your build?
I'd be game for setting aside a few days and doing some of it this fall or winter, if you're interested.

JohnO38

Rank 0

Contributor I

My truck is basically stock and I had planned on building it into a trail rig but it hasn't turned out to be that trustworthy!! It's been back at the dealership for the last 8 days with several issues.

JohnO38

Rank 0

Contributor I

Just got it back today after several things were replaced and it seems to be doing great!!! Hopefully it's like a brand new truck again! Lol!!

Mississippi

Rank 0

Contributor I

I am in Olive Branch. Do you have any more info on the Batesville MS area overlanding. I am part of a local overlanding group and we are looking a places to go. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, we would love to have any of you join us. We are participating in an Overlanding Rally Race in June of 2017, and want places to test out our mods and skills. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Reactions: Cody988

JohnO38

Rank 0

Contributor I

No just what I have found online, from what I have read I believe the trailhead is in Batesville. Where is the Rally going to be I am definitely interested!

JohnO38

Rank 0

Contributor I

I cant find any free maps, looks like the only thing available is thru Trans American Trails.. Found a video that looks pretty cool, I think the trail is basically a route of gravel county road with a few rough spots..

Reactions: Crawgator